About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 2, 2015

B is for Batsto Village

It's day two of the A-Z Challenge and I'm psyched to introduce you to another place I love in New Jersey: Batsto Village. It's located in Burlington County, Southern New Jersey. Batsto is wicked cool because despite all of the diverse interests my family has, the village of Batsto has something for everyone. No one ever argues if I say, "Let's go to Batsto!" And that's a beautiful thing.



Visiting here is like stepping back in time. It was founded in 1766 and it's been passed through many hands since it's incorporation. What Batsto is most known for is  "The Iron Works" business as they mined bog ore into iron. The village was erected around that and at one time, when the iron business was in full swing, the village housed hundreds of workers. When that dried up they turned to glass making and began exporting windows. In 1876, Joseph Wharton, a Philadelphia businessman, bought Batsto as a retreat and hideaway from the city. The State of New Jersey is now the proud owner of Batsto and Wharton State Forest, so anyone can take a self-guided tour which includes the grist mill, blacksmith shop, general store, sawmill, post office, iron furnace, ice house, the dam and much, much more. Tours of the mansion are also available but only at set times, otherwise it's not open to the general public.


As for having something to appease everyone in my family- let me break it down for you. The hiking trails contained within the forrest are my oldest daughter's favorite spot to hike in ALL of New Jersey. The lake within Batsto has great fishing which makes The Husband happy. There  is a  nature center with all kinds of interesting creatures indigenous to the Pinelands that makes daughter #2 (an aspiring marine biologist) extremely happy. The mansion tour and it's 32 rooms have my name written all over it. If I could steal the entire dining room (especially the drapes and the hand made dining room table and plant it right into my own house, I would in a heart beat!) And last but not least, Batsto is rich in history and is continually hosting fun events, like live war reenactments and country living fairs which makes daughter #3- a history fanatic-simply esctatic.
Batsto Lake

No matter what my family chooses to do in Batsto, we always wind up having fun. It's an awesome place to visit in New Jersey!!

Batsto Mansion

44 comments:

  1. Now that sounds like my kind of place to visit too. Marvelous looking mansion and a gorgeous lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine!! The mansion is incredible. I have been there countless times, but I keep going back..

      Delete
  2. That looks like a very quaint place. I'd love to check out the mansion.

    -Chrys Fey
    Tremp’s Troops - A to Z Co-co-host
    Write with Fey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my kids are over the mansion since I've dragged them through it countless times. My favorite thing to do is drag newbies on the tour with me. I make friends come that have never been there so I can see it through other people's eyes for the first time, all over again!! I love it that much. I'm such a dork.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful place! I honestly have never thought "hiking" when I thought of Jersey, but I'd definitely hike a place like that. By the way, at first glance, I thought it was "Batso." You know, like Fatso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being from Colorado, your idea of hiking and mine, might be a little different...lol. Although Batsto doesn't have a mountainish terrain, the trails here wind up and down through the Pinelands. They go way off the beaten path, and it's absolutely gorgeous getting lost out in those woods!! You can choose to take anything from a one mile hike, which is pretty much on a main path and not difficult, (more my speed) to a very strenuous 50 mile hike (more The Husband's speed and the kids, which includes hidden streams, rickety old wood bridges and little water falls.)

      And I am a huge Fatso. One of my all-time favorite movies too, is Fatso with Dom DeLuise, if you never saw it. It's hilarious. Well, at least to this fat Italian girl, ha.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Gorgeous pics. I need to visit NJ asap and have you be my tour guide. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it!! We would have an AWESOME time together, cruising around the NJ.

      Delete
  5. That's cool you can explore it and go hiking there. I'd be all over that mansion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mansion is amazing. So many nooks and crannies. I want to live there...like really bad.

      Delete
  6. Lovely! Batsto village looks like a great place to enjoy a fun weekend. Love the pics! That mansion is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! One of my favorite places of all time to visit with the family. Especially when it's winter and quiet. I love the solitude there.

      Delete
  7. Lovely! Batsto village looks like a great place to enjoy a fun weekend. Love the pics! That mansion is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A village I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would love it there Susan. Everybody I "drag" with me always comes away a huge fan.

      Delete
  9. What A lovely place. I had never heard of it before, but would love to visit. Sorry, I missed commenting yesterday, but I did read your post about Allentown.never been there but I have heard of it.

    I'm thrilled to see you doing the a to Z challenge and have you back to blogging. I hope you make it through the month and your health improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey FAE!! Yeah, it's going to be hard to keep up, but I'm determined. I need to get back into the swing of things. Thanks so much for all of the support. xo

      Delete
  10. Sounds like there's really something for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick!!! We may not have all of the history here that you do across the pond, but I am always on the look out for what we do have.

      Delete
  11. Wow, I would love to visit that mansion! I love towns that date really far back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn. Thanks so much for stopping by. The town is really cool to explore. I love the old mill and post office. So cool to see how things "used to be".

      Delete
  12. All my years in Allentown, I never even heard of Batsto village. Darn it! I only learn of it after moving to Texas! It sounds like a place I would have just LOVED! Also, now I need to read your Allentown post! Best of luck through this A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- an actual resident of Allentown. Hope you approve of my stop there!! I did my best. Allentown has that great old neighborhood and sense of overall community lots of places are missing today, know what I mean? Just love it there. Can't imagine going from NJ to Texas. Talk about culture shock! Wow.

      Delete
    2. I learned after I commented that you were talking about Allentown, New Jersey. I had spent around 15 years or so in Allentown, Pennsylvania. I didn't even know there was an Allentown in New Jersey! I'm sorry to have gotten your hopes up. Still, your Allentown sounds a lot nicer than my Allentown was!

      As for culture shock ... I suppose there was. I'm an Army brat, raised on the move and even in different countries. Culture shock isn't so shocking anymore, after all my uncounted moves (I stopped counting at 75).

      Delete
  13. Beautiful pictures! Thank you so much for the virtual journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry! Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

      Delete
  14. New Jersey is one state I have yet to visit. But we will. Family wants to do a visit to that part of the country soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephen- If you are really serious about visiting- just give me a list of all the things you and the fam like to do and what part of NJ you want to visit and I could come up with a personalized list of places for you to stop, enjoy and places to eat. Don't hesitate to ask cause I'd be more than happy to do it for you!!

      Delete
  15. That sounds like a wonderful place with options for everyone! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey T. Thanks for popping in. Always best when you can please the whole family on an outing. No one ever feels left out when we visit Batsto.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for introducing me to someplace new. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurel. Thanks so much for stopping in. Glad you liked my pics and highlights of Batsto.

      Delete
  17. Looks like a lovely place to while away a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to visit Samantha. Truly something for everyone to do.

      Delete
  18. Batsto sounds lovely. How great that your entire family is able to enjoy it there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather. You would love it- as a matter of fact, I don't think I ever visisted without seeing an artist with an easel painting or just sitting and sketching away. It's so beautiful there.

      Delete
  19. I'd love to see that lake! Gorgeous!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Betty. It is such a pretty spot. You can take a picnic lunch and just hang out by the lake. It's a great place to have a bite to eat and just take in the scenery. We do it quite often.

      Delete
  20. I would love to go there! (I could help you carry the stuff out of the dining room!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Elizabeth. I love that you would be my accomplice. I swear I really do wish I could swipe everything they have up in that mansion! From the bright, beautiful floor to ceiling windows, to the twenty foot dining room table (my whole big fat Italian family could fit around!!) every single book in the library and the awesome drapes, yep, I want it all!!

      Delete
  21. That place looks incredible! Love the old architecture--do they even make buildings like that anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope- I know they don't put that much thought into building anything today. That place is amazing. You should see the detail in just the stupid linen closet!! It's absolutely gorgeous. And it's just for storage. Love it!!

      Delete
  22. Another beautiful place you've show us, Jen. It seems like a rich and diverse village! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. this place looks ultra cool!

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Join us on May 4 with your post of Reflections about this year's A to Z.
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete