About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, April 13, 2015

A-Z Letter K is for Kingda Ka

How's everyone doing with the A-Z Challenge so far?  I know from past experience it can start to get real tough at this point. But take heart and press on toward your goal. We are almost half-way through already!!

My Letter K today is going to stand for Kingda Ka. I'm dedicating this post to all of you thrill seekers and giant roller coater fans. Because at Six Flags, Great Adventure in none other than Jackson, New Jersey stands Kingda Ka, the world's tallest roller coaster and the second fastest roller coaster in the world! I am not a fan of heights so I have never had the courage to ride this thing, but many of my friends and family members have ridden it and love it. 

Kingda Ka, the tallest roller coaster in the WORLD stands in Jackson, NJ

Here are some stats on this thing: 
The train is launched to 128 miles per hour (206 km/h) in 3.5 seconds. At the end of the track the train climbs the main top hat tower, reaching a height of 456 feet (139 m) and spanning over a 3,118-foot-long (950 m) track by the end of the ride. 

This ride is NOT for the faint of heart. Random quirky incidents that have happened to Kingda Ka since it's been in operation:

(1) A little boy got HIT IN THE FACE by a bird while riding in the first seat of the train. See You Tube video below.
(2) Kingda Ka got struck by lightening
(3) Hurricane Irene damaged this ride and it had to undergo major repairs. 
(4) There was a bolt failure and it caused metal shards and sparks to start flying out of the bottom of the train. Luckily, no one was hurt during this incident.

What about you? Is a ride on Kingda Ka right up your alley or would you take a hard pass and instead choose to go grab yourself a delicious, hot, sweet, funnel cake to enjoy while waiting for the crazy people you came with to get off this ride (like me)? 


17 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, ha! I would be one of the crazy people taking a ride on this monster. I love roller coasters. Oh wait, you didn't say if it's one of those that turn you upside down. I'm not a fan of THAT. Don't really like heights either,but on a roller coaster you are normally going so fast you don't have time to think about how high up in the air you are, besides if you fall at that velocity it really doesn't matter if you're ten feet off the ground or a hundred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for certain that it goes upside down, but I wouldn't ride it anyway. This one goes really fast. I think it only takes 42 seconds from start to finish or something nuts like that.

      Delete
  2. I love me some roller coasters, but after watchin' that video I'm NEVAH sittin' in the front seat again. Dang, what a way to make pigeon stew huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so unbelievable to me! What a freak accident. That poor bird. It didn't seem to affect that kid all too much, he said he'd still ride that roller coaster all over again!!

      Delete
  3. That would be a big pass for me!
    Did you know when one of the coasters at Busch Gardens opened, they had Fabio ride it to promote the coaster - and he got hit with a goose and broke his nose! Sadly, the goose was killed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I didn't know that- poor Fabio! Poor goose! That's just one more reason for me to add to the list of reasons why I don't go on roller coasters!!

      Delete
  4. My whole family and I love roller coasters, but my hubs and I realized we might have to slow it down a few years ago. He almost blacked out on a roller coaster that went backwards . . . and I got sick. Sick, me? Agh. Oh well. I hope to keep riding the ones that just go forward and fast for a little while longer. I wouldn't want to sit in the front seat of that one - no birds in my face for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly dislike it when my kids go on the giant roller coasters but I don't want to restrict them because of my limitations. Sorry to hear they don't hold the same sway they used to with you and your hubs. But that does give me hope that one day my kids maybe won't want to ride them either :)

      Delete
  5. I'm such a roller coaster scaredy cat these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never liked them. Once, my niece begged me to go on the stupid Tilt a Whirl.I thought I could handle it. They had to stop the ride halfway because I had to puke. It was AWFUL!! Never again. I don't go on anything anymore, much less a ride that's the tallest and fastest in the entire world.

      Delete
  6. From the time I was a kid, people pressured me into going on roller coasters, even though they made me miserable. Now they're even more intense than others. My stepdaughter pressured me into going on the last one I'll ever ride ever, ever, ever. That was 2010. It was some gigantic monstrosity at Dollywood. The thing went upside down numerous times and did that thing where it goes to the top of a hill, pauses while you're facing the sky, then drops. I finally have decided they make me miserable (and sick) and I'm just not doing it. Luckily I'm 44 and don't usually go to amusement parks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard when you have kids (and a husband) who really enjoy amusement parks and giant roller coasters. I know what you mean about the pressure. They have finally stopped begging me and making me miserable about going on the rides, but it took years. I'm perfectly happy hanging out eating my funnel cake and not puking thank you very much!

      Delete
  7. I haven’t been to Great Adventure in many many years. My grandchildren love it. They have season passes. And yes, they wait in line to get on that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take some cake while waiting in line for the rollercoaster, as long as I can properly digest it first! In my experience in British theme parks, you can be queueing for a couple of hours for these things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way I'd get on that thing. I swore off roller coasters YEARS ago after riding "The Beast" and "King Cobra" at King's Island.

    Did I mention, no way?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    The wildest ride I get on since being a young woman (a LONG Time ago) nearly 82 now, is a train or a carousel. You may have the twisters and roller coasters and log rides, etc. My rocking chair does just fine, thank you very much! Good post, though! Best regards, Ruby aka Blabbin' Grammy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will sit on the sidelines thank you. LOL. But instead of funnel cake I'll have caramel popcorn. Love the pics. These machines are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete