About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, April 17, 2015

A-Z Challenge Letter O is for Ocean Grove

Here we are at Letter O in the A-Z Challenge and I'm not even sure how I got here. It's been a crazy couple of weeks so far and quite a challenge to say the least, but I am determined to press on... My theme this year is a tour of my home state of New Jersey. Today I'd like to take you to visit a town that time forgot, Ocean Grove. Ocean Grove is located in Monmouth County, which is considered not that far North or South, but pretty much smack dab in the middle of Jersey.

Here is a picture of the tents in Ocean Grove, past and present.
Not all that much has changed. And if I'm going to live in a tent for the summer,
this is the kind I could get used to. Not quite what you normally picture when someone says "tent".
Aren't they beautiful? 

Visiting Ocean Grove, New Jersey is like stepping back in time. This town was founded in 1869, when a group of ministers and friends camped at what is now called Founders Park. After a candlelight prayer service they dedicated themselves to establishing a permanent Christian camp meeting community. Summer camp meetings were set up in tents, and this tradition that started over 130 years ago, still goes on today.

Lake Avenue Home ca 1870RulesThe community established some strict rules and regulations to  live by, which included the prohibition of liquor.  Yes, Ocean Grove is still a dry town. Now I know a lot of people are put off by that, but not this girl. As a veteran Jersey Shore resident who used to live in Seaside and was woken up one too many times by loud, obnoxious, drunken revelers who felt the need to urinate, vomit or fight in my front yard or park in our driveway, I have to say living in a dry town really appeals to me. Because it kind of eliminates and discourages this kind of behavior. The beaches and boardwalk at Ocean Grove remain spotless and family friendly. Most of your typical "Jersey Shore" reality tv stars and the like are not drawn to this quiet, seaside refuge. I wonder if that had anything to do with Fodor's naming the beach at Ocean Grove, NJ to be one of the top 15 to visit in the world!  Ocean Grove is really the town that time forgot, but I absolutely love it. It's one of my favorite places in Jersey, it's truly worth a visit.

The beach at Ocean Grove, New Jersey 




















25 comments:

  1. That's camping in style! It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a beautiful town- and that's my kind of camping, for sure.

      Delete
  2. I have some friends who vacationed there and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to vacation (especially if you have kiddos) it's just gorgeous there.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't mind that it was dry. Amazing how it still looks the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes a difference in the crowd that goes to the beach, and I for one appreciate the ability to bring my girls to a beach that's clean and quiet. I really appreciate the history of this town as well.

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful! Love the old fashioned feel. My only exposure to dry communities was in college and at the time it was a pain in the butt, but I probably wouldn't mind as much anymore, so long as no one would keep me from bringing my box of merlot from elsewhere and having a glass at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine in college that would be a pain. I think at this stage of the game for me and (in my life) I am ready for the quiet and peace. And yeah, it's not like you can't drink in your own home, what you do there is your own business. You can drink all you want. But trust me, to not have a strip of bars down the boardwalk makes all the difference in the world in a town.

      Delete
  5. It's beautiful! Love the old fashioned feel. My only exposure to dry communities was in college and at the time it was a pain in the butt, but I probably wouldn't mind as much anymore, so long as no one would keep me from bringing my box of merlot from elsewhere and having a glass at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful. But like Hart, above, I'd like to think I could have the odd drink at home :-) And that beach is made for a cold glass of wine while we watch the sunset!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah- you can still drink in your homes and on your patios overlooking this sunset. Ocean Grove just isn't full up of bars and liquor stores like some of the other seaside towns we have here on the Jersey Shore. It's pretty cool actually, because if you are looking for that kind of atmosphere, you can jump on down the parkway and go to Seaside Heights. If you want a quiet, peaceful safe place for your kids to enjoy the beach and boardwalk, you take them to Ocean Grove.

      Delete
  7. I like historical towns. They are so much fun to visit and explore. I like that they are able to preserve what's so great about them.

    I don't drink, so I wouldn't mind their strict rules at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband and I are not big drinkers. A glass of wine or a beer every once in a while for The Hubs, is about it. I am fine with a dry town. I like the peaceful atmosphere it brings.

      Delete
  8. That place looks beautiful. I agree not what I think of when I think tents, but I would sure stay in one.

    Yeah I am not much of a drinker so a dry town wouldn't bother me at all, plus I love really old towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This town is all old and victorian. I love the walk around and look at all the old houses.

      Delete
  9. Lovely! The tent community is fascinating. I agree with you about the drinking. This would be a wonderful place to visit. Peaceful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so quiet and relaxing. I love it here.

      Delete
  10. Historical towns that maintain that sense of their history and values? That is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what you are going to get in Ocean Grove, and that's what I love about it. If you don't want all the relaxation and quiet, go check out Seaside. It's really a beautiful thing.

      Delete
  11. Those pictures are so interesting. Thanks for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks for popping back in and checking out my A-Z.

      Delete
  12. Ocean's Grove sounds like a wonderful place - love the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this looks more like my speed (than Atlantic city). I could spend a few weeks in one of those lovely tents, and that beach looks pristine. Certainly not your normal picture of the 'Jersey shore'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my kind of camping. I don't like the ground, or ugly tents that get you all wet. These are clean and pretty and don't fall down on your head in the middle of the night in a rain storm...yes, that's happened to me before. I hate camping. This, is my kind of camping for sure! And the beach here is gorgeous.

      Delete