About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, April 10, 2015

A-Z Challenge Letter I is for Island Beach State Park

Today I'd like to highlight one of my all time favorite semi-private beaches in New Jersey, "I"sland Beach State Park. Island Beach is a barrier island that stretches for about 10 miles between the Atlantic Ocean and the Barnegat Bay. It's an amazing beach to visit with many trails and recreation areas. Nature is at it's finest here. Island Beach State park is home to NJ's largest osprey colony, as well as peregrine falcons, wading birds, shorebirds, waterfowl and migrating songbirds. It's not uncommon to spy a red fox running along the sand, as a variety of animals make these incredible marshlands their home.
It's not uncommon to spy red fox on the road, sand or trails here.

Island Beach is the perfect place to bike, picnic, sailboard, surf, scuba dive or horseback ride.  The only downside to IBSP is in the summer (especially on weekends) it gets filled up pretty quickly. If you don't get there early enough, you may find yourself shut out. Once the park hits a certain amount of people, they will close it down. No one else will be allowed entry into the park, until somebody else decides to leave. This may seem like a hassle, but it's exactly why we love it there so much- this ensures the park remains tranquil and somewhat private. 


When the girls were younger, they used to beg The Hubs and I to take them to
"The Beach Park". That's still what we call it in our family to this day. 
My family and I prefer to go to IBSP over the Seaside Park/Heights beaches, where the boardwalk, food and attractions are great, but tend to attract major crowds. We like to be able to go on the beach and spread out. Plus, we all have different interests and IBSP can provide something to appease each of us. For instance, some of us like to fish, some like to trek through the trails or track marine life, some like to swim and surf and some of us like to choose to do nothing but enjoy the quiet time by planting their fat arse in a beach chair, opening up a Dr. Pepper and a book and not moving from that spot for hours. I'll let you guess who that is  :)


No matter what you choose to do, a visit to Island Beach State Park is a must for this New Jersey family. What's your favorite beach to visit? Do you prefer all the hussle and bussle of the boardwalk or a more intimate beach setting? What's your favorite thing to do at the beach?

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Outer Banks of the Carolinas. Except they don't limit how many people, which means they are often crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crowds bother me on the beach. It gets too loud and crowded, I'm out. I like to have space. It's actually a big pet peeve of mine when people sit down right next to me, when they have the entire beach to sit. Why must they crowd in like that? It drives us nuts.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. A maximum capacity at a public place? I've never heard of that! We were at Pensacola Beach last September when a group of college kids descended on the beach for some big event that happens on that Saturday every year. Luckily, we were leaving Saturday morning but they arrived Friday afternoon (my birthday) and took over all the chairs, which you had to pay to rent. I had to go track down someone because we'd paid to have lounge chairs for the week and he set us up a chair far away from the noise. But I was just glad they were staying at the (very nice) hotel next door to ours and not our hotel, because they were all on the balconies, yelling to each other, and they'd taken over the pool area, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got lucky Stephanie for sure!! I wouldn't like being stuck there with a bunch of college kids making a huge racket. That's not relaxing, to me. I go to the beach to chill out and unwind, not hear other people yelling.

      IBSP is pretty big, they can allow a lot of people, but it does only have one long road in and out and that can become a hazard. I like that they shut it down, I don't want to be there when it's overcrowded.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like an amazing place to visit for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun. I love hanging at IBSP. We have a permit so we can take our truck right down on the sand, which is awesome. Especially when you have so much to carry- fishing poles, surfboards, coolers, chairs...yep, we are a scene when we go to the beach.

      Delete
  4. Those red foxes are cute! Island Beach looks and sounds like a fun place to go to and have some fun in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really cute. They have always kind of reminded me of big cats. The fox don't bother you and are generally people shy, so they run away if you try to approach them. I've seen at least one fox every single trip I've made to that beach. Some other people tell me that they haven't seen any, ever. I guess I'm just lucky!!

      Delete
  5. I love the beach. My favorite; Cane Bay on the north shore of St. Croix in the USVI. The Boardwalk is fun Sometimes, but I prefer these more primitive secluded beaches. There are many great beaches like this on Lake Tahoe, but like there, they limit the number of people which is a nice bonus. The house I live in now is less than a mile from Nevada State Beach, I can actually walk down there.

    Where do I like to be at the beach; neck deep, especially in salt water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh FAE, I can only imagine how beautiful the beaches in St. Croix are! I've never been there and would love to see them one day. It's on my bucket list. I do like to go to the boardwalk, sometimes. But usually in the evening, when I'm done with the beach.

      I have been to Lake Tahoe and I know how beautiful it is there!! Being able to walk to the beach from your house in Tahoe is amazing!! What a great way to spend the day, neck deep in the water. Of course, I don't go in that far, but the rest of my family are fans. I can't drag my little mermaids out of the water once they get to the beach. They go so far out they become little specs on the horizon. It drives the lifeguards (and me) crazy!!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, Island Beach State Park sounds great! No wonder you and your family love going there. And aww, those foxes look so cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foxes are adorable. I love seeing them run along the dunes. The beach is always a fun for us, no matter what season it is.

      Delete
  7. I can't remember the last time I was at a beach. I love those red fox! Adorable. Your new profile pic is great, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I would miss the beach something awful if I couldn't get to it. I have always lived near one, whether on the West Coast or East, I have always been close to the beach. I love it.

      My niece took my picture a week or two ago at her house after playing with my hair and doing my make-up. We decided this wasn't an awful picture of me (like usual) and since it was recently taken, I decided to post it. Glad you liked it! Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy. I love living here in New Jersey!!

      Delete
  9. I don't think I've ever seen a fox in person, even at a zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super cute and very fluffy. At least all of the red fox I've seen here. I think of them like large cats. But I would be careful to approach them in the wild. At IBSP they are kind of tame and used to seeing people. They still don't like to be approached though and I can imagine would turn a bit fiesty if pressed upon. The do have large claws and sharp teeth in those cute fluffy mouths of theirs...

      Delete
  10. Will need to check this out over the summer. Sounds wonderful! 😄

    ReplyDelete