About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A-Z Challenge Letter H is for Hoboken

If you are joining this program already in progress, my 2015 A-Z theme this year is a tour around my home state of New Jersey. Today is the letter H and we will be stopping in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Carlos Bakery Hoboken, NJ
 from the hit tv show, The Cake Boss
Hoboken is a city that is very dear to me. My mother's family is from Hoboken. My grandparents lived there for practically their entire lives. This is a city that has really undergone a giant face lift over the years. Back in the day, nobody wanted to admit to living in Hoboken. It  had an awful reputation. As a matter of fact, in the Bugs Bunny cartoons, Bugs would pop up from his rabbit hole and look around. When he realized where he was, he would start choking and say, "Hoboken? I'm dying! I'm dying!" Not so much anymore...
Hoboken? I'm dying! 

Because of Hoboken's close proximity to New York City, and a huge revitalization of it's apartment buildings, brownstones, restaurants,  famous bakeries (i.e. The Cake Boss) bars and hotels, it's really become one of the swankiest places to live in NJ. It's a whole new Hoboken. As a matter of fact, a few years before my grandmother passed away, she asked if we could go back to Hoboken for a visit.
Hoboken is a very enjoyable city to walk, no car necessary.
Driving around and looking out the window of our car, my grandmother grew very, very quiet. I thought, uh-oh maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Maybe it was too much for her. I asked,

"Grandma? What's the matter?" and she replied...

"I don't know who's Hoboken this is, but it sure as hell ain't mine!"

LOL!! My grandmother barely recognized the high rise apartments she had managed for years, and the place where my mother grew up! Nothing was the same. Hoboken had changed so much. It's a really great place to check out and spend some time, if you ever travel to New Jersey.

If I had to recommend a great place to stay it would be the W hotel.  (If you can afford it.) I'm not going to lie, it is a bit pricey, but it's totally worth it. And as far as a restaurant recommendation in Hoboken, it's gotta be The Cuban Restaurant and Bar over on Washington Street. I have to give credit where credit is due here. It was not me who first discovered The Cuban, but my Uncle Pat. The Cuban is one of his favorite restaurants and he was the one who first recommended the place to me. Great recommendation! You won't be disappointed here.

24 comments:

  1. If I can park and explore on foot, then that's a bonus. Glad they revitalized the town, even if your grandmother didn't recognize it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one in my mother's family even learned how to drive until they were well into their 50s. They had no need to living in Hoboken and being so close to all the public transportation. It wasn't until they moved to South Jersey that they decided they had to buy a car and learn how to drive!

      Delete
  2. Your grandmother sounds like she was a bit of a spitfire! I always here the word Hoboken and I instantly want to go there. There is so much talk about it over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma was simply the coolest person I have EVER known. And spitfire is a great word to describe her, since she was all of four feet tall but never afraid to open her mouth and speak her mind. She was my absolute best friend, she taught me so much. I miss her like crazy.

      Delete
  3. Hoboken sounds like a great city. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real fun place to hang out. There is always something going on there.

      Delete
  4. It looks like a neat palce to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle! Yes, it is a really fun place to visit and check out.

      Delete
  5. First time I've heard of the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now when you watch Looney Tunes you'll know what Bugs is talking about, LOL

      Delete
  6. Carlo's Bake Shop is the one place my kids regret not seeing on our visit to The Big Apple. We simply ran out of time. They love watching Cake Boss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The line for Carlo's is almost always out the door and around the block. You have to hit it at just the right time, or be prepared to wait. I have to say that the goodies inside are definitely worth waiting for.

      Delete
  7. I've heard all the Hoboken jokes, but had no idea ut had undergone a revitalization. Looks like an interesting ace to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, there were tons of Hoboken jokes. That's what cracked my grandma up the most. When she heard all of these yuppies bragging about how they lived in Hoboken! It just made her day.

      Delete
  8. Love this post. I had no idea that's what Bugs meant in the cartoons, and your grandmother's reaction is hilarious. We often hear how a place has changed for the worse, so it's cool to hear how it's changed for the better. I have to admit that when my grandfather's farm, complete with grass-covered broken down farm equipment that spanned a hundred years of age, was mowed down and turned into a pretty residential neighborhood, my reaction was more like your grandmother's reaction - "this isn't my place."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hilarious for us too. We all laughed so hard we cried. She just couldn't believe all of pretention that goes with living in Hoboken now and how much the price of rent and apartments went up. It was incredible to see what revitalization of an area can do, when it's for the better. Had her old neighborhood gone downhill, that would have devastated her. So all in all, although it was different it really touched her heart and made her happy!!

      Delete
  9. Now this is one place I have heard of. Didn't realise it was a city, I thought it was just a neighbourhood of somewhere... but then I'm terrible. I used to think New Jersey was an island because Old Jersey is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you've heard of Hoboken, all the way across the pond!! That would have just made my grandma's day. And it actually makes sense that you thought New Jersey was an island because the Old Jersey is. Very logical thinking- Hoboken is not very big and it does have a more neighborhood feel to it, so your assumptions were kind of spot on here.

      Delete
  10. I love the name of Hoboken; it is sad though that it changed so much your grandmother didn't feel at home there when she went back to visit.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma didn't feel at home anymore but she did feel proud. It make her happy to see how much was done to fix up what was considered old and busted. And then she said, maybe I should start bragging aboout coming from Hoboken, instead of being the butt of every old Hoboken joke. LOL.

      Delete
  11. One of my goals is to someday go to Carlo's Bakery and say Hi to Buddy, Danny...all the team. Oh, and buy lots of pastries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Like I said to Deb above, you have to time your visit perfectly. If you don't get there early, the line to get into Carlo's goes around the block and can take hours. Fortunately, we have friends/family that still live there. They can actually stick their heads out the window of their apartment and look to see if the Carlo's line is too long. When they see the crowds have dwindled, they can run in real quick and pick up our order. It's good knowing people from Hoboken!! :)

      Delete
  12. The city my mum grew up in has changed beyond all recognition too - she no longer enjoys being there. Hoboken sounds like a great place to explore.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad when what you grew up with changes. It helped that Hoboken had actually changed all for the better. The prices of everything really freaked my Grandma out though. She couldn't believe how much it cost to rent an apartment there now, since she was a manager of high rise apartments there for many years. But all in all, she was happy how much time and effort went into restoring the city. And she especially liked walking down the street and pointing out what "used to be".

      Delete