About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Is Writing Hereditary?

The first thing I think I prayed for besides their health, was that none of my children would inherit my math skills. And thank God, they haven't. But I did wonder what in the world I would contribute to them. Would they inherit any or all of my faults? How about any of my positive attributes or my likes or dislikes? How much of that would be me steering them that direction and/or how much of that would be from their own desires? It makes me wonder.

I certainly knew going in I would bring zero math skills to the table. Sometimes, just looking at numbers gives me hives. Oh, in addition to my math deficiencies, I lack athletic ability, coordination and physical strength of any kind. No mad sports skills could be inherited from me. Ever. But at least, I thought, they'd have a chance of taking after their father. The Husband, although we are no longer as svelte as we once were, is still extremely athletic, quick and freakishly strong. Which literally blows people's minds. Picture this- he's built just like an alligator, only hairy. He's thick and solid but can turn on the speed in short bursts, taking his prey completely by surprise. I mean, who expects something with no neck to be able to move like that? This particular skill set comes in handy in his current profession. No one sees the fat cop coming until it's too late...but I digress.

Would my girls inherit any of my neurosis? Like my fear of heights, tight spaces, camping, dark water, spiders or Ben Affleck? What about any of my good qualities? (Yes, I do believe there are a few redeeming qualities about me.) Would they inherit a heart that's full of compassion, mercy and love for others? What about my ridiculous sense of humor or my ability to make friends wherever I go? What about my likes and dislikes? Would they have their nose shoved in a book 24/7 or would they rather be out running a marathon? How much of their personality and abilities would be like me, and how much would they be like their father? And why.

As of now, I'd have to say my girls are about a 50-50 mix. And, thank you Jesus, none of them have inherited my phobias or anxieties. As a matter of fact, all three do fantastic in school, love hiking, camping, shooting, and the water. They are even scuba certified! Oh and every time there's a spider in the house they have no problem taking care of it for me. Funny, my girls are all a little thick in frame, and none of them have a fondness for running...but man, can they turn on the speed when they want to. Two out of my three girls, (plus my one niece and my brother)  have all written novels. Do you think a love of writing was somehow grafted into our DNA? How come we all love to read and write so much? Is it coincidence?

I have to ask- what character traits do you think you inherit from your parents? What likes and/or dislikes? Did you ever feel like you were coerced into liking some things? Are we destined to become like our parents, in some small way, no matter how hard we fight it? What do you think?


14 comments:

  1. An alligator with hair. Still trying to picture that.
    I'm not sure if writing is in the genes, but it can be influence by what kids see their parents do.
    I'm really close to my parents, but I'm nothing like them, especially my father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more like my dad than my mom. From him, I got a love of being outdoors and enjoying solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I share a similar sense of humour to my dad. I may have got my love of reading from my mum (she worked in a bookshop and could get great discounts) but I like to think I would have read a lot anyway.

    I find this area really interesting. Especially as my daughter seems to have that same sense of humour. We laugh at things other people wouldn't find funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither of my parents are writers, nor is anyone in my family, but they all seem to be great story tellers. I'm just better at putting it in written words than I am spoken (they're the exact opposite). Also, for having the sense of humor that we have, you would think both of our families would be wacky... they are not. At all. Not sure how we ended up the way we are. Broken genes?

    Also, I'm okay with not testing the speed and strength of a big hairy alligator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your girls inherited a great mix. AND they can sort out the spider menace on your behalf? Amazing!

    My anecdotal evidence from my family and my friends' is that in a multiple of children, roughly half are like their parents in likes/dislikes/social attitudes/liberalness etc, while the other half rebel and swing in the opposite direction, usually starting from teenage-hood. Not sure how universal that is though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do think kids can inherit creativity. What form it comes out in can be different sometimes, sometimes the same. Either way, it's always fun seeing your kids shine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! You're back. I've missed you.

    Whether hereditary or not I think our children are influenced by what they see us doing and especially what we love. Good, bad or indifferent they want to emulate us. That's why it's so important to be careful of EVERYTHING we say and do.

    You really seem to have great girls. They do well at so many things. Not bad parenting, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do believe that certain character traits can be inherited. Like, my dad died when I was only five months old, but despite never knowing him, I apparently share some quirks with him. LOL. So, yeah, I definitely think it's possible for a love of writing to be part of your guys' DNA somehow... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ask myself this question a lot. Maybe i sit back and analyze my kid too much! *LOL* He hasn't inherited my love for art but he has a great imagination. He's more of a numbers and problem solver guy like his father. I think a lot of things we don't expect are genetic, but sometimes what they do like can surprise us and I love that! :) Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great analysis! I think about this kind of stuff all the time, especially as I watch my daughter take after her dad, or me, or one of our parents...or no one at all! I also wonder how different her siblings would be if we had any. Such an interesting topic, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a good blend of my parents, I think. Neither are writers, but they are both readers, especially my mom. I think if I can pass a love of reading onto my kids, I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It IS fascinating analyzing which traits our kids get from us. One thing that constantly amazes me is that at any given time I can look at one of my children and think, "He (or she) looks just like his (her) dad." And then a half hour later, they will say or do something that makes me look at them and I'll see all the resemblances that child has to me. It doesn't seem possible that they can look so much like me and their father at the same time because we are polar opposites of one another in the physical department! I think it's those mannerisms they pick up, that really tie them to us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandma was a writer, so I blame her for the bug. I'm with you on the math skills, the coordination, the athletic ability. I don't suffer from phobias- though my boys tell me I worry about weird things. All my boys are lineman and they too are solid and quick. I know they'd like to be ripped like the skinnier body builder types, but I think they're handsome guys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I look at my daughter and want to apologize...she's like a cookie cutter version of me, and whenever we argue, my husband makes fun of us. "You realize you're fighting with yourself, right?" But at least she got some of my good habits, too. Right?

    ReplyDelete