About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 30, 2014

The Cephalopod Coffeehouse Meeting


Hey All, it's the last Friday of the month and that means it's time for a meeting of The Cephalopod Coffeehouse. If you are not familiar with this fun, informal group of book enthusiasts or it's illustrious host, the Squid, I strongly urge you to go check it out.  For a list of  participants click here:  The Armchair Squid.

The month of May has been so busy, unfortunately, it's left very little time to read. Somehow, I still managed to squeeze in a little book time and steal a minute or two here and there to finish a couple of books.  Out of the few I managed to read, I'd have to say my favorite was the debut novel of Sally Green called,  "Half Bad".

Initially, since it's YA, I picked this book up to pass on to one of my daughters. Once I read the first sentence on the jacket, I decide I might have to read the book myself.. This is what caught my attention: "Sixteen year old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill."   Whaaa?  I wanted to know what happened to him, what landed him in the cage, why is he shackled? I had so many questions. I decided I would read the first chapter. Because for some inane reason, I assumed that the first chapter of this book would provide me with all of the answers to those questions. Guess what? Spoiler alert: it doesn't!!! So I had to keep on reading. And reading...

This book is written in flashback and out of order. It can seem confusing at first, and I was pissed because I just wanted to know what the heck is going on. But if you stick with it, all of your questions will be answered. The not knowing is oddly compelling. It sucks you in and makes this a real page turner. As I have stated before, plot and pacing are important, but I am basically a character driven reader. Nathan is one of those characters that is unique and flawed and yet you cannot help from championing him. His choices, good and bad, will keep you turning pages until you finally, finally find out what will become of him.

Half Bad is book one and an awesome beginning to this unique trilogy. I am quite interested in continuing to read this series, not just for my daughter, but now for myself as well!  Any of you read Half Bad? What did you think? What was the best book you read this month?  Drop me a comment and let me know- Jaybird

11 comments:

  1. Half Bad doesn't sound half-bad at all!!! I love books that make you NEED to find out what happens.

    I needed something to read last night and picked up a book called The Reasons by Kevin Craig. Read about half of it all at once. LOVED IT, and highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation!! A few short weeks from now, my girls are all out of school. Woo hoo. Then the real reading begins!! This summer, I plan on parking my big, lazy butt on a lounge chair next to my pool and reading my days away. Doesn't that sound like an awesome plan? Can't wait to execute it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, what Cathy said. I didn't even read youthful age-appropriate books when I was young, so it kinda cracks me up how many YA books are being read by adults nowadays. Even by this on-again, off-again old broad. Go figure. I might as well check this one out, too. Thanks. (I can always tell people I'm doing a quality check for my grandkids...)

    Nice to meet ya. Count me in as your newest groupie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Cathy and Susan, I was reading Flowers in the Attic in my tweens...though I did have a soft spot for Judy Blume. I still read her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is definitely a different kind of premise---and it's really cool that you only intended to read just a little and then couldn't stop That says great book right there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun! I like your spoiler alert.

    I'm interested in your investment in character. Over dinner this evening, we discussed how it can be difficult to enjoy a story if you don't like the characters. There are interesting exceptions - Mad Men for me - but I usually have a hard time if I don't like the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a huge fan of flashbacks, but this story sounds neat. And characters are #1 in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't think I've ever heard of Half Bad before, but you make it sound so amazing, not to mention intense! Hope the rest of the trilogy doesn't let you down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this, but I've always appreciated when a novel strings you along like that and leaves out key puzzle pieces that they fill in before it's over. I've heard a lot of writers say 'never use flashbacks,' but I think flashbacks can definitely work when done right, and this book sounds like a prime example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa. That is definitely one powerful opening sentence. It sounds a little too actiony for my taste, but I can see how many, many people will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a YA fan, sounds like I need to read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete