About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A-Z Letter Z is for Zoo

Can't believe we're done-but here we are at Letter Z. Faith and I made it!! Thanks to everyone who commented and kept up with this theme-less hot mess of  A-Z posts. And great, big thanks to everyone who commented and/or  followed Faith's blog.  (Today she is featuring my mom's recipe for zeppole; go check it out. They are made of awesome) I am so happy Faith and I were able to do this challenge together. It wasn't always easy- especially while we were on vacation, had Internet issues or were both vying for the same computer,  but we managed. Any time we spend together is very special to me. Thanks!
Oh, how fast they grow! These are my girls, a few years ago, at the Cape May Zoo.
The zebra exhibit at the Cape May Zoo.
 Letter Z. Z is for the zoo. I absolutely LOVE the zoo. (Maybe because it reminds me of my life.) Ever since I was a little  kid, I have loved visiting zoos. I've been to zoos all around America and have a strong fondness and affection for every single one. From the small- like the Popcorn Park Zoo, who has my kind of heart because they rescue hurt, abandoned or disabled animals, to the very large, like the San Diego Zoo in California. While honeymooning in Hawaii, I dragged The Husband to visit the Honolulu Zoo. The Honolulu Zoo has to be the most beautifully landscaped zoo I've ever seen. But my favorite zoo of all, is the Cape May Zoo, right here in South Jersey.

Cape May Zoo doesn't have all the animals or notoriety some of the other zoos have but what it does have, is special.  First and foremost it's free! Can you believe that? They suggest you make a donation but you decide how much you'd like that amount to be. Which I adore. Because that means no one has to loose out on going to the zoo for lack of funds. They have lots of picnic areas and covered pavilions and playgrounds, where the girls and I like to camp out. We bring a picnic lunch and just enjoy the beautiful scenery. They also have nature paths and a train and a carousel and ice cream. Oh, I want to go right now! Too bad the kids are at school.
Faith, Frankie, Farrah and G'ma (my MIL) at Cape May Zoo. Love the expression on Faith's face. 
Are you a fan of zoos? What's your favorite animal? I love elephants. They are pregnant for two years straight! (I can relate to that, LOL.) Another cool elephant fact- a momma elephant won't leave it's baby without a babysitter. And they only choose babysitters that are familiar- like Aunts or cousins to watch their young. That  fascinates me! But... deep down you all know I'm a crazy cat lady :) Those big cats are simply astounding. I have been at the Cape May Zoo when the lion wakes up, opens his mouth and roars. Holy H is it FIERCE. The whole ground shakes!! You hear that roar loud and clear no matter where you are in the zoo. He is King of the jungle, for sure.

Hope you all enjoy your day and the relief of completing another A-Z Challenge. Peace Peeps! ~Jaybird


22 comments:

  1. IT'S OVER!!!!!!!! Whew! You're not the only one who had a themeless hot mess, but we got 'er done, Jay, and for that, YAY!!!!

    I love zoos, too. There's one we used to visit that had rabbits running around all over the place. Somebody had let a few go, I guess, and they bred and they bred - like rabbits - and now there are rabbits everywhere you look. For some reason it puts me in mind of Snow White or any children's story where the wildlife is all around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Faith did a wonderful job. You must be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cathy!! It was quite a stretch for me this year. Next year, I might have to hog tie myself up in a theme... and take some time to pre-write a lot of those posts. Writing them off the fly- didn't go so well. I say all this now, but I know how I operate. I'm a straight up pantser and procrastinator. I will wind up being in the exact same spot- a themeless hot mess, once again, next year!!! LOL

      AND thanks. I am so proud of my girl. Faith is one amazing kid! I have no idea how she is related to me and The Husband. We always shake our heads in amazement. Like- how the hell did we manage to produce someone like her???

      Delete
  3. You don't need any kids with you...just go. :) Have you seen the movie We Bought A Zoo? If not, I think you'd really like it. My favorite animal to see up close is a tiger...way scarier than a lion imo. Totally freaks me out. :) Of course I grew up going to the Honolulu zoo and Sea Life Park--I love those dolphin shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the zoo, too! Prague Zoo is the best one I've ever been too - it's HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy zoos, especially ones that make the habitats large and natural.
    Faith did a good job! I enjoyed her food items.
    You made it! Congratulations on completing the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I'm not a huge fan of zoos, but I do like the safari they have at Disney's Animal Kingdom. When they create a system that's more natural to the animals, I'm totally cool. It's when they're cooped up in these tiny cages that I have a problem.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratz on getting to Z!! I love a good Zoo, they can be real feel good places.

    LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only ever been to the Zoo once, but it was a great experience.
    Congrats on making it through the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to take the kids to the zoo every spring, but I think we've missed the last two. :( I told Luke we are going this year no matter what! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to the Popcorn Park Zoo! Haven't seen the Cape May zoo though, I rarely get that far south but I'll keep it in mind. Your zoo post was a lot better than mine, so maybe writing on the fly does suit you. It is a lot easier to plan ahead though.

    Congrats to you and Faith on finishing the challenge, and thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. St. Louis has one of the top zoos in the country, and it's FREE also. Can't wait to take the family there soon.

    Way to go, you finished the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on crossing the finish line....now I see some relaxation in all our futures. I haven't been to the zoo in years....

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom told me the other day that the local zoo is getting rid of the elephants. Apparently they can no longer stay there because the area is too small for them to live and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on finishing! I love the San Diego zoo, mainly because it's so huge and the animals have so much space to roam around in :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, I read this post yesterday and didn't have time to comment. It took me until today to get back here.

    I love the zoo. when I was growing up in Chicago we used to go to the Brookfield Zoo at least once a year. It's absolutely huge and has some pretty nice habitats. Then in Idaho, we had a tiny little zoo, but it too was fun.

    Congrats on making it through the A to Z for another year. It's a grueling task, somuch better done by you than me. Now take care of yourself and take a well deserved rest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why did it take me all the way to the letter Z to figure out Faith had her own blog? Too much peroxide must have leaked through to my brain cells over the years!

    Elephants are cool. I've seen on Nat Geo will they will be vengeful too, if you hurt one of their young. I can relate to that. But at the zoo, I linger longest at the monkey cages. They are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Decipher that Nat Geo sentence and there is a prize to be won!

      Delete
  17. Congrats on completing the A-to-Z challenge! I haven't been to a zoo since I was a kid, but I know my older sis still likes to visit them. Never knew those facts about elephants before. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephants are so amazing. I love learning about them.

      Delete
  18. Hey, congrats on finishing A-Z! Also, really glad you've signed up for the Coffeehouse this month. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Squid. I am sorry I have been MIA lately. I always enjoy posting for the coffeehouse.

      Delete