About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A-Z Letter G G is for George Orwell

G is for George Orwell. Today I'm writing about George Orwell. Not the George Orwell who first springs to mind, the one who wrote 1984 or Animal Farm. Nope. I'm writing about George Orwell, my daughter Farrah's beloved veiled chameleon. He sits right next to King Tut. Once again, not the King Tut you are familiar with. King Tut, in our house, is a leopard gecko. Who lives in a ginormous tank right next to George Orwell in her room.
Isn't George cool? 
Farrah has a knack for picking quite unique names for her pets. Then again, she is quite a unique girl. Not too many eleven year old girls have a bedroom full of salt water tanks and lizards and chameleons (or read Orwell in their spare time). There are no pink walls or frilly curtains or ruffled bedspreads in Farrah's room. And it sure as heck doesn't smell like sugar and spice and everything nice up in there. It's smells more like Animal Planet; but this is what my kid loves.
King Tutankhanun, the non-mummified version. Isn't he cute?
I'm all about encouraging my  girls to develop their own tastes and creative outlets. With Faith, her passion is cooking.  Which was a win-win for everybody. But I want to encourage my kids individuality, even when it hurts. And man does Farrah's hurt. I think it goes without saying, that buying bugs and bringing feed crickets into my house, hurts me. I think you all know how creeped out and psycho I get about bugs. Even the thought of bugs camping out in my house, gives me all kinds of anxious thoughts and fears. But I love my kid more than my phobias.

How far are you willing to go for love? Any strange creatures live in your  house?

PS: Great BIG thank you to everyone who commented yesterday and/or  followed my daughter Faith! It made her feel so special and much better on a day she was feeling so sick and miserable! You guys are the best, thank you!!!

20 comments:

  1. It's not hard to follow Faith and I did go get yukon gold potatoes for fries tonight.

    I am not a good mom. I simply will not allow creepy critters in my house. We have a cat and a dog and that's good enough. On the other hand, we have baseball seven days a week so maybe I move a little towards being a better mom. After all, I am a grandparent raising a grandchild and a teenager at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, my friend, is an amazingly hard thing to do. Raising a teenager as a grandmother? Geez! I give you tons of credit.

      I LOVE those oven roasted steak fries. They are delicious. And I have to agree with my Faith, hand cut and fresh Yukon Golds, that is the way to go! So fresh, simple and delicious.

      PS: NEVER in a million years did I think I would invite such creatures in my house. It is only for my kids I bent the rules. The minute one of those crickets gets out, well, then, we might have to revise our living situation...ha ha.

      Delete
  2. I had a pet tarantula back in the day. I have no fear of spiders and I think that's what I liked about it. I could let it crawl all over me and freak everyone else out, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH!! That would freak me out. Frankie has a teacher who brought in two tarantulas for the classroom last year. She is like her sister and didn't mind. I, on the other hand, would start to sweat just approaching the cage. My arachnophobia is off the charts.

      Delete
  3. You are an understanding mother. No lizards are coming in my house either.
    If that's what she enjoys, then let her enjoy them.
    And ironically Faith and I were already following each other - I just didn't realize she was your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! I didn't know that you followed Faith and vice versa. Cool.

      Yes, my daughters are quite unique. God bless them.

      Delete
  4. Okay, you're daughters are amazing. An 11 year old who reads Orwell and has lizards? That is fantastic :) There's a character for you right there.

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah!! She is something else, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. I adore people who give their pets weird names! My friend's son has a... I wanna say lizard, but I can't remember for certain - anyway, his name is Sir Chompy His Excellency - and it makes me laugh every time I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an AWESOME name!! The girls named our cat, "Princess Filamena Joy" which is a mouthful when we go to the vet and they announce her. But what can you do? My girls are imaginative. And I love that.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! My kids have a pet frog and he eats live bugs and I kind of like the frog better than they do, so I kind of took over catching the bugs (all but spiders, I don't do spiders) for him and feeding him. I never thought about how weird this was until my neighbor asked me what I did each night on the porch...I guess the sight of me catching moths in the porch light must look a little silly.

    Totally agree on the development of self. I always told my kids to make their own decisions, even if they're bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have a giant toad named Tara. Farrah rescued it after it got hit with a lawn mower. YIKES. But she nursed that thing back to health and we were able to release it back into the wild. I still miss that toad. It used to hang out and watch me while I write. It had a whole lot more personality than I thought it would. As a matter of fact, so do the lizards. What we do for our kids. BTW, what's your frog's name?

      Delete
  7. You truly do have great kids. Farrah sounds as amazing as Faith, even if she does like creepy things. I had to learn to live with the lizards in 'de islands', after all they eat the bugs. Keeping them in the house and buying them crickets for dinner...that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

    Come to think of it, the reason you have such amazing kids, is that you're a pretty amazing Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I like to say we have an amazing God who created them. It has nothing to do with me or The Husband honestly. The only thing they can thank us for is praying for them. That's the only credit I'll take for my amazing kids.

      Thank you so much B for highlighting Faith on your blog yesterday, she was blown away that you would do that for her. Also, she was so over the top excited to see comments and new followers! It really was so sweet of you to do!! Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I just have one pet now, a typical dog. Though she can be strange at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how all animals have their strange ways. My cat is a weirdo.

      Delete
  9. Farrah seems to have the same taste in animals as my sister. She just loves critters like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why, don't know how, (totally contrary to the big baby I am around such critters) but I encourage her all the same.

      Delete
  10. I might allow the chameleon but not the gecko! All I would think of would be if it escaped. I'm not terrified of them but I'm just glad they're not around me. If they were around me regularly then yeah, I'd definitely develop a phobia. You really love your kids Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I walk in her room and I hear the chorus of crickets chirping, I have to remind myself, "I love my kids, I love my kids" HAHAHA. It helps. Because sometimes, I want to run and duck for cover.

      Delete