About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 26, 2014

A-Z Challenge Letter W is for Woo hoo and Whaaaa?

First, I am very excited to announce I made it to 200 peeps/followers. So great big Woo Hoo- Check back in on Monday for details on Jaybird's Sweet Peep Give-Away to properly celebrate that!! Now on with the whaaa portion of this post:

Recently, on our travels the fam and I pulled up to a McDonalds drive-thru window (don't judge) to place an order. The first thing we heard was the requisite,

"Welcome to McDonald's. Would you like to try the new bacon onion cheddar burger?" In this deep, velvety-smooth Luther Vandross/James Earl Jones perfect-for-cartoon-voice-over kind of voice.

The Husband said, "No thank you."

And the beautiful, deep, rich voice replied, "What can I get for you today?" 

The Husband proceeded to rattle off the long and complicated standing order our family of five has whenever we hit up a Mickie D's. It usually takes a while to get it right. But that brilliant voice repeated everything back with complete accuracy. Then said,

 "Will that complete your order today?"

The Husband, with so much military and southern breeding, can't help from answering any question without adding a very respectful  "Yes, sir."

But to our surprise, the deep, velvety-smooth voice came back out of the box sounding completely indignant. She said, "I'm NOT a sir."

The Husband, sputtering, managed to say something like  "Whaaaa?"

She repeated herself. And this time she was clearly indignant and a bit put out: "I said, I'm NOT a sir."

Well I'll be darned! Everyone in our vehicle went completely silent. The Husband and all the kids looked at me and each other, eyes bugging out of our heads trying not to burst out laughing, but not wanting to insult this woman further. Because clearly we had already insulted her without meaning to. How could we have possibly known? With that kind of voice, we all automatically assumed it had to belong to a male who was somewhere around 6 "5" and roughly the size of a barge. Thankfully, The Husband recovered enough to throw out a quick apology as we headed over to the pick up window. I'm sorry but there is no way we were the first or only people to think that woman was a dude with that kind of voice!

My voice is definitely feminine, but it's on the low end of the register. It's also whiny and usually comes out  louder and much more nasal than I intend it too. One of these days I am going to figure out how to do a VLOG so you all can get a good laugh from hearing my New Jersey accent. Recently, I found out the kids in middle school made up a nickname for the boys whose voices didn't quite change yet. They call them  "squeakers".  What's your voice like?

23 comments:

  1. After all that, what did she look like?
    Mine probably has a nasal edge to it. No accent though - I've lived too many places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an older woman, and definitely very feminine. What a shock! And what kind of nasty manager of McD's put her on the darn microphone in the first place? They have to know it would mess with people's heads!!

      Delete
  2. I too have a strange accent from moving all over the place, but if I've been visiting the place where I was born or talked too long on the phone to one of my friends that old accent catches up with me. OR, I can use my 'radio voice'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. If I am down South for a minute I suddenly develop a twang. Or if I go home to California, I instantly adapt my old accent. Maybe I am just eager to drop the Jersey from my accent? I D K.

      Delete
  3. LOL...I've done that before, so I'm feeling your hubby's pain :) Congrats on 200 blog buddies, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark!! I never thought I would reach ten, much less 200!!

      Delete
  4. I had a McDonalds today, so no judgement here. There's one where I work, so it's a weekly thing.
    That's pretty funny, it can sometimes be difficult to tell the gender of a person from their voice!
    My voice is pretty low, but it can get quite shrill at times. Of course I have my English accent, which I've been told is quite posh, although I don't know how - the typical accent of my home town is definitely not posh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Laura how's that for coincidence? I think the English accent, always, always, lends an air of sophistication that sounds posh and highly educated. Lucky you! Because the Jersey Shore accent only lends me a very bad reputation as a mobster or a degenerate.

      Delete
  5. I hate my voice, especially on tape. I think I sound a little whiny sometimes too. And I sometimes flip between a midwest/southern sort of accident...making you Northerners think I'm from Texas.

    I was thinking as I was reading, there is no way this lady hasn't heard this before and why would she be insulted? My poor kids, when they hit puberty and their voices were on the verge of changing, everyone thought they were me...I guess that means I sound like a pre-pubescent boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I hear myself on tape I swear that's not ME speaking. But it is....! And I bet that your voice is as sweet as you are. The Southern accent always sounds so nice. My MIL is from Arkansas and has the sweetest accent. She sounds so cute and her voice really stands out around here.

      I pity the poor boys at school. It can't be easy for them with their fluctuating register. "Squeakers" is probably not the nicest nickname for them, but then again, it could be worse.

      Delete
  6. The story reminds me of the reverse, we had a guy at my lunch table with very long hair. We were waiting in line where you can get chicken or fries (something outside the main lunch menu) and the lady at the counter said "Can I help you ma'am... I mean sir". Sometimes you can say it by accident if you commonly greet more of one gender than the other, but that wasn't a mere misspoken mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I've done that to a kid in my daughter's class. His hair is almost as long as mine. I saw him from behind once and called him a girl in the class's name. Thankfully, he didn't realize I was calling him, a her.

      Delete
  7. Not quite the same thing but I no longer let my husband talk while we are placing our order. At a Burger King, he said "Ask for extra napkins, we are out of toilet paper". I'm sure he didn't realize how his voice carries but when we got to the window, all the employees were there waiting to see who was too cheap to buy TP. I don't think I looked up while I handed them the money and they handed us the food. It wasn't that we were too cheap, we had not been to the market and he was just covering his bases (read that to say butt). Drive thru windows can be challenging on any level. BTW, the bag was stuffed with napkins.
    http://yeakleyjones.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH!!! Ann that is mortifying. But not something I would put past my husband either. He would say something like that too.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'd love to hear your Jersey accent, haha. Sometimes I'll call friends of mine and their teen/tween boy answers and I'll think it's their mom. So embarrassing, especially for that boy. :( I hate the sound of my voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep threatening to do a VLOG. As soon as I figure out how to do that- I will do one so you can hear me and get a good laugh.

      I bet your voice is as beautiful as you are!!

      Delete
  9. 200 followers?! Wow! Congrats! :)

    And, oh gosh, that poor drive-thru lady. Voices can be pretty deceptive like that sometimes, unfortunately, especially when on the phone and the like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather!! I know, I felt so bad for her. She was an older lady and I could tell this was something she had been dealing with for a while!

      Delete
  10. It is always surprising the first time we hear our own voice, I would say mine is not high not deep, but somewhere in the middle. That is funny maybe she should try to audition for voice overs. Congrats on 200.

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, why shouldn't she profit, instead of suffer, for a voice like that? Poor thing. And thanks!!

      Delete
  11. I've done similar stuff on the phone! My voice is very young sounding. People think I'm a teenager or 20 year old. And white! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! It's nice to be thought of as younger!

      Since I am a darker-skinned person, people ALWAYS assume I am Hispanic or Latino. They come up to me and automatically start speaking Spanish. I just smile and tell them (in English) I have no idea what they are talking about. I literally know ZERO Spanish.

      Delete
  12. I do not know how you all restrained yourselves!

    ReplyDelete