About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A-Z Challenge Letter T is for tidbit

Here's a little tidbit from a YA urban fantasy called "Cursed" I started working on a couple of months ago. I had to place it on the back burner when I got sick. I've been wondering if I should pick it back up and work on it again or just let it go. Let me know what you think. Please keep in mind this is a first draft and a very rough one at that. Thanks!

Chapter One

“Crap!” This is not happening. But it was. I thought if I fought hard enough, I could stop it. Guess not. Look, I'm not some whiny little girl, I can deal with the wicked head aches and the nausea. It's the waking up in some other place, in God only knows what year, that's the real kick in the pants.

Slowly, I open my eyes. Picking my head up, even an inch, made the vomit happen. But that's OK, I'd rather just get on with it. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and cautiously sat up, so I could take inventory.

Since I like to look on the bright side of things, I'll focus on all of the positive stuff I've got going for me. This time, when my back slammed onto the ground, I happened to land on something soft. Thrusting my hands down into the pile of softness underneath me, I grabbed and came up with two fist-fulls of straw. Nice! Since I didn't eat before I teleported, it looks like that initial pukage is going to be it for me today. Looking around at the biggest and ironically most literal bright side, the sun was shining. It was day time.

Flipping sweet! I am so far ahead of the game than I was last time. You don't even want to know what a complete and total freaking disaster that turned out to be. But I can't get into all that now. I have to focus on my one colossal and currently screaming negative here: I'm not alone.


15 comments:

  1. Interesting! I like the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teleporting! I like it. And dig the way it starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! And you didn't think it's too offensive to have the first word of your novel be "crap"! LOL

      Delete
  3. I really like the voice. I say pick it back up. At least see where it takes you.

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandon. I have more than just this little bit written, but I wasn't sure where I was going with this (or if I should keep on going)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth! Thanks. I appreciate the input.

      Delete
  5. I agree with the rest. Great voice, interesting premise, and a good hook. I bet you already have a little more than what you published here. Keep at it. Once you got a few thousand words, I would really like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the first chapter roughed out, but that's when I got sick and had to stop writing all together. If you don't mind looking at it- I'd love to send it your way! Thanks. Of course, I won't have much time to work on it until after the A-Z Challenge. But that's only another week now before that's over! (can't believe how fast that went)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, send it along. It will probably take me a few days to get to it anyway and by that time it will be May 1.

      Delete
  6. I like the voice here - sounds like a contemporary teen time traveling. Give it a whirl! :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Madeline- I really appreciate the input. It's hard to know if your on to something, or you should just let a voice go.

      Delete
  7. Fabulous voice, Jaybird. You are so good at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because mine is so loud...LOL!!! This was one of those voices that keeps nagging at you to write down. I wanted to (at least) flesh out the first chapter and see where it went from there- glad to know you liked it. Thanks!

      Delete