About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A-Z Challenge Letter S is for Sweet Ride


On our trip to Florida, I overcame some big fears/phobias of mine and tried something new. I am so happy (and a bit proud of myself) for venturing outside my comfort zone and taking a risk.  Because I loved, loved, loved it! What did I do? This chick went on an airboat ride!! To some of you that may seem so tame and stupid to be afraid of, but allow me a minute to list a few fears I had to overcome just to step onto that boat:




#1. I had to walk past him! This is Bubba. He weighs around 1,000 pounds. He was not overly fond of Jaybird. When I walked by him, at first, he was so big and so still, I thought he was fake. Then he growled at me and I almost shizzed my pants.
Say hello to my "little friend" Bubba!
#2. This was the water we had to walk over on a rickety bridge to get to the boat. I started hyper-ventilating and needed a minute.

So, like any good mother, I made the kids go first.
Thankfully, my girls inherited zero of my fears.

#3. Then, I spied this in the swampy water on the way over the bridge:
Not sure what kind of snake this is, someone riding on the boat with us said it was a water moccasin;
I don't care what kind it is, I'm not a fan of any  kind of snake.

#4. At this point, I was so proud of myself that I made it onto the boat and didn't run away screaming, I thought, nothing is going to stop me now! But then, they gave us the safety speech (like on an airplane) informing us where the life vests are and all about how airboats, are prone to tip! I'm not a very strong swimmer. But I can tell you if that boat tipped, and I fell into that alligator/snake infested swamp water this fat girl would take off faster than Michael damn Phelps for the shore! I had to block all the bad thoughts of capsizing right out of my mind. So I put on my earphones.
Faith, like the little trooper she is, took one for the team and sat next  to this hot mess. 
Her two sisters and cousin, chose to sit as far away from me as possible.
Not, that I blame them. Little did they know, whoever sat up front got soaking wet!
In the end, overcoming all of my fears, was so worth it. Because ultimately it allowed me to view this:
I had no idea how beautiful Florida could be. Seeing this up close was breathtaking.

And the memories we made on this little excursion: PRICELESS!
My girls. They are fearless!! 


24 comments:

  1. You did it! I think it would be a lot of fun. Walking past the water moccasin - definitely NOT fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This took me way, way out of my comfort zone. But I am so happy that I did it. I really loved the ride. The scenery, (other than the snake) was beautiful. And the boat went fast and was super fun! Not choppy at all, as a matter of fact it was so smooth you feel more like you are flying than riding in a boat. I didn't get seasick at all, which, of course, is another one of the many things that plague me. LOL

      Delete
  2. Good job! I cracked up at the sending the kids first line :) It looks so fun! I love the baby alligator pic, how cute is that? Man, a boat ride sounds so lovely right now. I could use some soaking up of nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught that line huh? LOL I am so happy that my kids take after The Husband and not me when it comes to fears and phobias. They are amazing. So much tougher than me! All Farrah kept saying the whole ride down to FA was, "I just want to hold an alligator!" No mention of Disney. Just alligators. Not your typical 11 year old girl...that's for sure. She had a ball at this place. It had all kinds of creepy crawly reptiles and snakes, which is right up her alley.

      Delete
  3. I would have turned around at the crocodile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorely tempted!! Honestly, I was so surprised (after I relaxed myself) at how much fun riding in the air boat really was. I loved it.

      Delete
  4. ^^ What Melanie said. One look at Bubba, and I'd have been running away, screaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my response to just about everything outdoors!! LOL But I really wanted to do this for my girls. They couldn't believe that I didn't chicken out.

      Delete
  5. Glad you were able to overcome your fear and have fun with the family. I used to hate walking over the alligator bridge at the New Orleans Zoo when I was a kid.

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really rickety! There was even a sign that said, no more than ten people on the bridge at a time! Well, crap, my family's weight definitely counts for at least ten people! It was a little nerve wracking, to say the least.

      Delete
  6. I lived in Florida for two years and never went on one if them 'Air Boats'. Course I also did not know how tippy they were. I thought swimming in the ocean was safe, until I saw gators on the beach and in the surf. Sharks heck, those bad boys (gators) terrify me.

    I like how you sent the kids first to test out that bridge. Ha, ha, ha. Am I gonna have to take back all the 'awesome mother' comments. Wait. Come to think if it THAT us being an awesome mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK FAE, where haven't you lived!?! I thought I moved around a lot- boy do you have me beat!! LOL Honestly, if I sat around and thought too long about venturing outdoors and all the things that freak me out, I would never leave the house. I really pushed myself to do this for the girls. And I wound up loving it. Who knew?

      Delete
  7. Oh man! I wouldn't have made it past the croc. Those things terrify me. But sounds like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie! It was hard to walk past Bubba, especially when he growled at me. I have to say it reminded me and sounded like a lion! He was so loud. I didn't even think they could make that much noise.

      Delete
  8. Once I saw the 'gator, I would have been on the run. To say you were brave is not enough. Did you hold the baby 'gator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a miracle that I stayed and didn't run away- and holding the baby gator? NO WAY. That would be way too much for me. My girls weren't afraid though. They all held it. Farrah wanted to take one home she loved those things so much. We have enough reptiles in our house already. I would not allow a gator in my house. Ever.

      Delete
  9. the farthest I've been from an wild gator was probably 200 feet and I was on bridge. My brother lived in a neighborhood where gators were suppose to live nearby or hang out in these little ponds. Said he saw one while jogging one day then ran the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so I'm glad it's not just me that is afraid!! I don't blame him for running. My first reaction is always to head in the other direction of an alligator!

      Delete
  10. Great pics! The bridge would scare me...I hate rickety bridges. Probably has something to do with my fear of heights. I've never heard an alligator growl, but then again, I've never gotten that close to one. And for good reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! That bridge was ALL kinds of sketch, let me tell you. I wasn't so afraid of the height of it, more like it breaking down and me dropping into that swamp water.

      That growl was otherworldly! Scared the pants off of me. Hope to never hear that sound again.

      Delete
  11. I don't have any of those fears and I am so jealous. We don't have swamps and air boats anywhere close but we do watch the sharks off of Trestles, the best surf beach around. I am not fond of snakes but would walk past one although I do prefer them behind glass. Sounds like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even being as afraid of all the things that I am- I still managed to have fun. If you are not scared, I suggest taking an air boat ride! It was fantastic. It got me to take my mind off of all the stuff I hate and focus on all the beauty of the area. It was so fun! I really loved it. And, I would even do it again!

      Delete
  12. Making the kids go first I think is a brilliant strategy. Snakes are not my fav either, but we spotted 9 of them on our spring hike over the weekend. Definitely none has poisonous as the moccasin in your photo though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Slamdunk! Thanks for stopping in and commenting. 9 snakes!!! My daughter would be thrilled, (she loves all things creepy, crawly and reptilian) me, not so much! That would be the end of my hike.

      I'm still not sure if was definitely a moccasin, but I was not willing to get closer to positively identify it, LOL

      Delete