About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, April 11, 2014

A-Z Challenge Letter J

A-Z Challenge Letter J. J is for Jenny.



My first name is Jennifer. But the people closest to me, always call me Jenny or Jay. Some of my friends call me Jen. It doesn't really matter which derivative people use, I answer to them all.  But man can I tell you how much I hated how popular my name was growing up. When I was in kindergarten, there were EIGHT of us!! Since there were more than one Jennifer B's I was forced to be called Jennifer B2. I sounded like a robot! It irritated me to no end, but what could I do? I've made peace with it now, but when I had my own girls and was searching for baby names, I swore to choose names for my girls that were less popular.  (Little did I know I would have to come up with 3 baby girl names!)



What are your favorite names? Do you have a nickname? Italians are big on them. Everybody gets one in my family and they stick. Whether you like it or not! How do you come up with your character names?

9 comments:

  1. What? I'm the first comment here. Oh well,let's get on with it. I've had several nicknames throughout my life. some are OK, and some, not so much.

    You probably know that in fantasy, fairies are often referred to as 'the fae folk' or just 'fae'. Well people started calling me FAE and I'm wondering, why are they relating me to fairies. So, one day I asked a friend why do you call me FAE, and they said; Ah, Far Away Eyes, DUH! I guess sometimes I AM a dumb blonde.

    With respect to my 'real name'; it was also quite popular when I was in school, so I named my first daughter something really unusual. she hated it for along time. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! My daughter Farrah gets annoyed because everyone calls her Sarah. She's like, no it's with an F. Then they say, Sarah with an F? Duh. That makes her crazy!

      Delete
  2. Good to know your real name!
    No nicknames. My name is cool, just really long when I have to write all of that out.
    Character names are easy - twenty minutes of brainstorming simple but alien sounding names and then ten minutes to match them to characters. Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex is a cool name, the long or short version I love both. You are good at coming up with names, it takes me forever to name my characters. I think I "overthink" them.

      Delete
  3. Eight Jennifers? Wow, that's a lot! Sounds like the title of a movie. Ah, but you were Jennifer 2. Oh well.

    Yeah it's kind of a bummer to have a common name but yours is a good one. Lots of different ways to shorten it, easy to remember and pronounce, and you share it with Jennifer Lawrence :-)

    How do I come up with character names? I brainstorm any name I cannot directly associate with anyone I know. If a name has negative connotations for me I won't use it (for example I will never call any character Justin -- not even a villain -- and Serena Williams ruined one of my fave female names) From there I end up with normal sounding but not super common names like Rachel, Melanie, Hannah... I name my characters after them and then a year or two later I name my kids after my characters. (not really, but It has worked out that way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many kids do you have? What names did you wind up using? I had a friend who got pissed at me when I named my daughter Franchesca because that was what she was going to name her kid. Unbeknownst to me, because she didnt even have children yet!! People can be very funny about names.

      Delete
    2. We used the last two for our two daughters, I wanted to name one of them Phoenix Raven but that was vetoed :-) People can get very competitive about names. If your friend really wanted that name she should have called dibs on it, lol. We never experienced that but my wife's friends have. Personally, if I feel strongly enough about a name I wouldn't care if someone "beat me to it" but I could see why that would be a deterrent.

      Delete
  4. There are always a lot of Laura's - there were three of us in my class in secondary school, and it got really confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you know what I mean about the confusion then. It's so annoying when the teacher is like, Jennifer knock it off. But your not doing anything wrong. Then you realize shes talking to a different Jennifer. LOL

      Delete