About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A-Z Challenge Letter H is for Hooks

Welcome to Letter H. H is for Hooks. Hooks in books, not the other kind. Get your head out of the trash, he he he. Creating a captivating hook is essential to grabbing readers attention and luring them into your story. What makes a hook great? What captivates you? Here are some of my favorite hooks:

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." - Who could forget that famous Tolkien hook? I remember thinking, what in the world is a hobbit?? I was intrigued, and had to know.

"I was sixteen years old the day I was lost in the forest-sixteen the day I met my death." That amazing hook is from Keturah and Lord Death, by Martine Levitt (recommended by Ilima, and what a great read indeed!).

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind, Paul Newman and a ride home." S.E. Hinton-I'm not even entirely sure why, but this hook stayed with me from the first time I read The Outsiders, until now.

Who can place this one- "The boy with the fair  hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon."










23 comments:

  1. No idea on that last one.
    First line hooks are difficult to nail. I rewrite mine dozens of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't guess the last one either - was tempted to cheat and look it up but didn't! One of my favourite hooks was written by GP Ching, my friend, and author of the uber successful Soulkeepers series (highly recommend this YA series). The first book begins: "Death lived up to Jacob's expectations."

    I know! Great, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- that is an awesome hook! I will have to look into the Soulkeepers series, I am always looking for good YA for me and my girls.

      Delete
  3. I looked it up. Sigh. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to remember off the fly!!

      Delete
    2. Do you see what I did there, "off the FLY" Ha. Get it?

      Delete
  4. I am so not good with first lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I am still working on one from two years ago, ugh!

      Delete
  5. I love great hooks, not so good at writing them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked it up too. Shame on me. It must not have been a great hook line for me because it was a book that still resonates today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that book so many times I think it's embedded into my brain.

      Delete
  7. Love love love Keturah! :) And I cheated and looked up that last one too. I love that book as well.
    One first line that has always stuck with me is from Louise Plummer's A DANCE FOR THREE: "Milo wasn't the first boy to kiss me, but he was the first one to bite me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting and would catch my attention instantly! I would have to keep reading to know more about that, for sure.

      Delete
  8. I also looked it up lol I think that's okay though. The hook only needs to grab our attention and make us keep reading, it's the story that needs to stay with us, not necessarily the first few words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine! I am glad you all were interested enough to look it up, LOL I don't know why it's so hard for me to nail my hook, but I can't seem to go on writing until I get it right.

      Delete
  9. I always found it funny how they made the Hobbits look in the movie. They look kinda short in most of the scenes, but really short far-back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird cinematography for sure. I don't think the guys they used were even short- I guess it was all CGI? Not sure.

      Delete
  10. Ah, the all important hook. It's indeed hard to come up with a good one. Some work do well they really stick with you.

    No idea what your 'teaser' is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the hook from the Lord of the Flies.One of my old time favorites.

      Delete
  11. I agree, hooks are so, so important. I always struggle with coming up with good ones for my projects. All the hooks you shared are new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! You should grab a few of these and put them on your TBR pile for sure!!

    ReplyDelete