About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 5, 2014

A-Z Challenge Letter E

A-Z Challenge letter E. I have some flash fiction for you. E is for Eddie. Hope you like it!

Eddie. Eddie Du Bois is here. Standing less than five feet from me. I only caught a glimpse of his profile, but I know it's him. I know it with a certainty and truth like one knows the sun is hot and ice is cold. But what do I do when presented with this truth? That's the million dollar question. Do I dare approach him? Call his name? Do I run away and give up what could be my only chance to speak to him again? Dear God, am I capable of such cowardice twice? How could I choose to run away from him, again? I've lived with the regret of that choice for the last fifteen years. The only hope I clung to was somehow, some day I would run into him again and could try to explain. Well, some day is here and my feet are caught in indecision like thick mud.

Eddie stops at the end of the aisle in the Piggly-stinking-Wiggly of all the stupid places for this reunion to take place. He turns around, and it takes him a split second, but I know it the instant he recognizes me. Eddie's whole body stiffens. He snaps his shoulders back and thrusts his chin up, like he's standing at attention. He does an about-face and marches away from me, in double time. And just like that, the decision about what to do next has been taken out of my hands.

20 comments:

  1. I liked this little excerpt. Makes me wonder what history your protag has with Eddie, and why she ran from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! I am so grateful for your comment. Whenever I post some flash fiction, the insecure writer in me flares up and is convinced people are going to hate it and/or not get what I am trying to convey. You just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, my comment got dropped, or sent to blog hell.

    Great piece of FF. Eddie; what a jerk. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. Sorry your comment got dropped. I hate that!

      Delete
  4. Oh I think Eddie remembers...*hiss* tough luck. Your protag has it rough. Good flash fiction Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I remember your Eddie story

    on a side note, we used to have Piggly Wiggly around here but they all closed about 15-20 years ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always see them when we travel South, especially down in Florida. They are no where to be found up here in the North.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. He's still pretty pissed at her, it's not really his fault though, she actually deserved his blow off.

      Delete
  7. Very well-written. I can't wait to read the rest. :) Poignant and concise to keep the pique the reader's interest and keep them hooked.

    (On another note: I saw your comment on my blog! How is your Francophile daughter doing these days? And please don't tell her about how some French people wear the Mullet...it might shatter some Parisian reveries she may have!)

    -Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb! Yes, my little Francophile is still obsessed. Her entire room is decorated with Eiffel Towers and Arc de Triumphs. She demands croissant for breakfast and eats pounds of cheese for snack. She was over the top excited when her Girl Scout Troop received France for International Night. She wanted me to teach all the girls how to speak French. (In like one week... ha ha ha) She, of course, rocked her berret and greeted everyone who approached the table en Francais, and they sold out before any other country!!

      Delete
  8. Oops, I don't think Eddie likes your protagonist. I wonder what she did! (or why she ran)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! Come back, Eddie. Come back. ;) And in a Piggly Wiggly no less..haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it always the most unlikely places where we have those life-changing encounters? And never when we look out best, right? At least, that's what happens in my life.

      Delete
  10. Loving this flash fiction piece! I am so curious now about what happened between the protagonist and Eddie for him to react the way he did...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather! I am so happy you enjoyed it. Lots of history between these two...lots.

      Delete
  11. Great story, instantly drew me in. Love the ending.

    http://yeakleyjones.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ann, thanks so much. I'm so grateful for all the feedback!

      Delete