About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Hey everyone- Happy St. Patrick's Day. I thought we might be celebrating today with a parade. Instead, we are celebrating with another snow storm! My kids are off from school and at this rate, they will be going straight through until August to make up all that they have missed. Ugh.

I know I often speak about my Italian heritage, but I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the wee bit o' Irish in  me as well. One of my neighbors and great friends, shows up every St. Patrick's Day, rings my doorbell and leaves two loaves of her Irish soda bread on my front porch.  Since she is no more than four and a half feet tall (on a good hair day with heels) and her family is all from Ireland, my kids say "Our favorite little leprechaun left us a pot of gold."

Honestly, her soda bread is so good it has be magical. Especially the way it disappears.**(See footnote below) Here is the recipe for my friend Stacey's Irish Soda Bread. However you celebrate St. Patrick's Day, I hope you have a great day!

Ingredients:
5 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup or one whole stick of butter (unsalted, cut up into cubes) make sure it's at room temp
2 1/2 cups of raisins
3 tablespoons of caraway  seeds
2 1/2 cups of buttermilk
1  large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an oven proof 10-12 inch skillet with 2-1/2 inch deep sides (go generous with the butter) Whisk together the first five ingredients in a large bowl.  Use your fingertips and add the butter, rub in until coarse crumbs start to form.  Stir in the raisins and caraway seeds.  Whisk buttermilk and egg in a medium bowl to blend.  Add it to the dough with a wooden spoon stir until well incorporated. The dough will be very sticky.  Transfer the dough to the prepared skillet.  Smooth out the top, mounding it slightly in the center.  Use a sharp knife, dip into flour, cut an X in the top center of the dough.  Bake until knife is inserted and comes out clean. (About an hour and fifteen minutes) Cool the bread on a rack.   Enjoy. We like to eat ours with butter. But it's delicious plain as well.

** I have tried to make this recipe myself, many times. The kids and The Husband and I all agree; for some crazy reason, even though this is her exact recipe, my soda bread never quite comes out as good as when Stacey makes it. I'm telling you, it's magical. :)

18 comments:

  1. Make up school? Wow, when I was a kid and we missed school due to a snow storm it was just chalked up as a loss and we tried to make up as much as we could when we came in next.

    Also, this recipe sounds awesome. You had me at "one whole stick of butter." That seems to always equal amazingness. Serve with additional butter? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds like it has enough butter, but man, when it's warm and you add a little more butter on top to melt, it's pure awesome!! Hope you try it. If you do, let me know how you like it.

      Because we missed so much school due to snow, this is the first time they are talking about going to school on Saturdays, or taking away our Easter break. Either way, I am not happy. Saturday is the only day we have to sleep in and rest. I believe the kids need that day off to decompress. Not to mention, their teachers. Oy.

      Delete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day! We're celebrating here with crazy wind instead of a snowstorm. There are trampolines flying over fences, eerie screeching noises, and my door alarm keeps going off. Fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sounds like a twister- hope you batten down the hatches and hold on. LOL

      I simply can't believe the amount of snow dumped on us this year. It's crazy. My kids are going nuts. If they take away Easter break, or have to go to school on Sat. they are going to FREAK.

      Delete
  3. Your the second person to post a recipe for soda bread. I'd never even heard of it.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of it? And now that you have access to two recipes, I think that it's about time you enjoy some!! Hope you have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  4. Our school used to give out a recipe for shamrock cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam! Were the cookies good? (Personally, I have never met a cookie I didn't like) Did you ever make them? I am always looking for new recipes.

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm. I'd leave out the caraway seeds and put in some candied oranges.

    It is strange--St. Patrick's Day has always been celebrated big time in this Irish family, but now we are older, more tided. Hope yours was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan- my girlfriend always makes two loaves for us (1) with the caraway seeds and (1) without because my daughter Faith is allergic to seeds. But my husband loves it with them inside. Either way, the bread is delicious. I think I'd like to try it with candied oranges too. That sounds yummy.

      On my father's side is the Irish blood. His family had some wonderful, traditional recipes that used to be made and enjoyed when we visited them. Unfortunately, a lot of the older women have passed away, taking their recipes with them. I wish I would have thought to have them write them down. We still can't recreate my paternal grandmother's rice pudding recipe. Something is always missing.... it never comes out quite right. Sad.

      Delete
  6. Soda bread is awesome and it's great that you have your own little leprechaun to leave you some each year. Thanks for the recipe and hope you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark!! Oh my gosh it's amazing to have your own little leprechaun to leave presents on your porch...Seriously my friend Stacey is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. We all love her to pieces over here. She also happens to make the BEST chocolate chip cookies in the entire world. Yep, I said, the whole world. I am confident that's true and would swear by that statement. From time to time, they also magically show up at my door. And if we're real lucky, I answer it instead of The Husband. Cause if he gets his hands on those cookies first, he devours them. (Along with about a gallon of milk.)

      Delete
  7. How sweet! I could lie and say I will try to make the bread, but I won't. My kids have missed a ton of school too, but there will be no remakes. Something about laws and contracts. I say call it and act of God and move on and let them have a summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so nice about the bread. I've had recipes I could never master either. I don't have a green thumb, or whatever thumb or finger is needed to be a good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great recipe! My husband is the bread maker, so I will pass it onto him. Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, I'm definitely going to try it. I'll let you know if the. Magic happens. HA!

    Make up snow days - what a bummer. It's all about 'contact hours' and not REAL education.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a fun recipe-- hope everyone had fun on St. Patrick's!

    Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2014 . Please update your badge for this year :).
    Look forward to your challenge posts!


    Damyanti
    #atozchallenge co-host
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't think I've ever heard of soda bread before. How nice of your neighbor to make that for you! :)

    ReplyDelete