About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Emotional Writer - Insecure Writer's Support Group


It's the first Wednesday of the month which means it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. If you'd like to join, or learn more about this amazing group of writers, check it out here: Alex J.Cavanaugh.

This month I've discovered something new about myself: I'm an emotional writer. When times get tough, some people turn to food, others to exercise, some to alcohol or drugs, but not me. Nope. I write.

The ironic thing about me being an emotional writer is, I have a big mouth. It's huge. Enormous. And it's always going. I'm forever making jokes and am extremely outgoing. I can strike up a conversation with just about anybody. My family and friends say that you can always hear me loooong before you ever see me enter a room. But when it comes to expressing my deepest, innermost thoughts and feelings out loud, I lack the words or the courage to voice them.

Many of you know that I struggle with poor health. Over the past few months I've been poked, prodded, probed and felt up in not so nice places. It's been tough, painful, downright excruciating and at times, humiliating.  While I am going through it, my outward personality can't help from breaking the awkward silences by cracking jokes and smiling and putting all the people around  me at ease. But when I come home, and I'm by myself, I find myself craving some alone time with my journal. Writing down and recording what I could never voice, helps fill up a void within me.

I'm wondering, how many of you are emotional writers too? Are you capable of  expressing yourself audibly? Do any of  you keep a journal? Does it make you feel better to write out your feelings, even if no one will ever read it? If you do have a journal or a diary, is it addressed to anyone in particular? My journal, is written expressly to God.  My words, a form of  prayer.

Every once and a while, I go back and revisit what I've written. When I see how far I've come and how much God has brought me me through, it's so comforting. Sometimes, when I read what I've recorded, my experiences are so stinking hilarious, I wind up laughing out loud. Other times, I break down and sob.  Either way, writing in my journal has provided me with a rich outlet to express myself, and I'm truly grateful for it.


24 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been through physical hell, but glad you have an outlet in your writing. I probably convey more in my writing than I do anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jaybird! I wish I lived closer to you so we could hang out. :( I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Take care, and let me know if there's anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad writing can give you the outlet you need to get those emotions out. I've never been good at keeping a journal, and I tend to keep my emotions locked inside, but I do think writing can be very therapeutic. I like to tap into those emotions during certain scenes in my work. It's helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to write in journals all the time to cope with what I was feeling. It still comes out strongest in my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaybird, I've been challenged with health issues this year as well, so I am so sorry for you. Without my journal, I'd probably have been put away some place a long time ago. Writing is my way of making sense of my world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I didn't already love the heck out of you, I would after reading this post. I love your journal to God, the fact that people can hear you before they see you, and your ability to give terrible experiences a humorous twist. I'm so glad you have writing as an outlet. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very outspoken, but I feel that my true thoughts and feelings come out best in my writing. It is therapy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally an emotional writer, so I know where you're coming from. I'm so sorry you've had some health issues. Big hugs coming your way. Love that your writing can be an outlet for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm like you. I write more when I am visiting the darkest bottom of the abyss (meaning, doctors and hospitals and tests and all that "party"). I usually address to God, but sometimes to myself. It does help me a lot but rarely I would go back and read what I wrote. Usually, I destroy what I wrote some time later. I fear other people may find it and read it. That's also why I write in English, because no one in my house speaks English, and I also write with the worst handwriting I can possibly make. That's also to make it more difficult to read it, even for me. I do it as a "puking" therapy, so evidently, I don't like to go back to it. Besides by destroying it, I feel I'm also vanishing those concerns and bad memories from my heart, mind and life. Kind of magical but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kept a journal the entire time I was growing up and I think, for that reason, it trained me to get all my emotions out on paper. So often, when I have a lot of crazy things happening in my life I can't process any of it until I've written it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could have written this myself - only you say it much better than I would. I'm going through health stuff too. (What's up with that? We're both young!) Anyway, I absolutely turn to writing as an escape. Sometimes the writing I do when all down isn't so hot, but at least I'm doing it. Hope things look brighter for you.

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emotional writer to the extreme here. I always say writing is my therapy. But oddly, I don't keep a personal journal. Probably goes back to the days when my big brothers found mine and read it aloud for their own amusement. Scarred for life.

    I hope your health improves. I had a passing flu that sucked my energy and made me realize just how much more grateful I should be for being blessed with good health.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For as long as I can remember, I've always kept a journal. When I'm going through a tough time, I'll write daily. More often, it's about twice a week. Like you, it's more like a convo with God :-) Praying for answers and good health for you the rest of 2014 <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm an emotional everything but tend to keep it all inside. Daily journaling is my lifesaver. I eat too, unfortunately lol.

    Cheers!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kept a journal for years, but now with a blog, I don't have time for both. Unfortunately I'm an emotional eater. For happy stuff, I celebrate by eating, and for negative stuff, I wallow by eating. I'd rather write it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about your health issues. I created the Getting Personal Meme last year to help me share my personal side more. IWSG has helped greatly with me as well. You too today.

    ---Greetings from a February IWSG Co-host

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm an emotional writer too. I use it as an escape.

    Wishing you full health in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes. Journaling. Since... 4th grade? As an adult I really only do it when I am feeling intensely emotional or have an experience I truly *must* document. I hope your medical things get some resolution soon! It is so frustrating to have to have tests, etc run constantly :-/
    Happy IWSG day!

    AJ @ Naturally Sweet
    An April A-Z Co-host

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am an emotional writer too but I also eat so my keyboard is always covered in crumbs.I kept a journal for years but now I have a blog that I don't promote where I go to write when I'm angry about something. I understand the frustration with the tests. I'm doing some too and not very happy about it. You're certainly not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. An interesting post that I enjoyed reading. Glad you have Jesus in your life.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still write in a journal, but much less than before. I need to get back on that.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm an emotional writer. I write best when I'm miserable. I can take out my pain and frustration on the written page, and I can give true depth to the sadness of my characters. And really... how messed up is that? Oh, you're in a good mood? Let's write a bunch of garbage!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tend to internalize my emotions, but I do find myself writing in a journal when I'm at my most depressed. So, so sorry that you're dealing with such hard stuff right now. Glad to hear that writing is able to help you push through it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't kept a journal for years, but I can imagine how cathartic it can be. Especially when you look back at previous entries, and see how far you've come. I'm sorry they you're going through such a tough time health wise. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prays. Much love you you, Jen. <3

    ReplyDelete