About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cheers to Baby Steps- Insecure Writer's Support Group



I know I've said this before, but I'm so thankful for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Not just for all of the kind words of encouragement and awesome advice from my fellow writers and bloggers extraordinaire, but I'm thankful to this group for holding me accountable to post!

I fully understand how clueless this is going to make me sound, but I have to be honest. Would you believe that it wasn't until I had to sign in at the stupid doctor's office this afternoon that I noticed what the date was? It's sad but true. As soon as I realized what day it was, I knew I had to come straight home and sit my giant arse down and  get working on this post. Sorry I didn't remember earlier, but at least I remembered before this day was done. Which is a definite improvement over the last two months, LOL. I am, however, going to have to keep this brief because it's late and I have to get the kiddos to bed. :)

On a positive note, I wrote a flash fiction piece on Monday that I didn't hate. It's a baby step, and I'm not entirely certain this means I'm out of the woods creatively, but I'll take it. Because no matter how small a victory that may be, it's still a huge improvement over last month. I'd really like to take a sec and thank everyone for their encouraging comments (and their patience) with me when I was in such a bad way.

So this month, I'd like to shout a big cheers to baby steps! No matter how small, as long as they are moving forward, I'd like to think they are still a step in the right direction.   - Jaybird


37 comments:

  1. You wrote something! That's awesome. Just keep taking those small steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alex! Yep. And something is better than nothing. The main thing is I don't hate it...unlike everything else I've done over the past six months, LOL

      Delete
  2. Yay for baby steps! :) Writing anything that you don't hate is fantastic. I'm working on those little steps this year, trying to find balance in my life slowly but surely. Hopefully surely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that sounds so terrible but I really did start to hate everything I was working on lately. I wanted to toss it all out and start fresh. Even though it's just a little thing, I am encouraged by it.

      Delete
  3. Keep up those little step, Jen. They'll add up to one big journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em! Thanks. I'm really hoping they amount to something.

      Delete
  4. As long as you're writing. A baby's step one day becomes an adult's marathon. You will get there Jay and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sheena. And thanks again for the encouragement last month. I really needed it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hey girl. Thanks! I am trying to find joy in the little things. No matter how big or small. :)

      Delete
  6. I've been lpoking for you all day. I knew you would post for IWSG. So glad for 'baby steps'.

    I finished the edits on 'Not Quite Right' today (hard copy), as soon as I can get it all into the computer, I'll be lookin for some input. I really hope your up for it. How about sending me something? I'm ready, willing, and able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I made you wait!! But at least I remembered to post before the day was done.

      You finished your edits? Good for you!! I'm so excited for you. I am up for helping! I just have to read a little, then stop, put it away and go back at it again. For some reason, I've found that the computer screen triggers my migraines! I can only work for short bursts of time. But I won't allow that to stop me from doing something love.

      I'm not sure what I should send you. Still mulling around a lot of possibilities of what I should throw myself into. Main question before me is this: should I go back and try and fix all that I hate about Breaking Cardinale Rules (which is A LOT) - OR- should I skip it all together, put it on the back burner indefinitely and get to work on something else? I'm still not sure what to do next. I guess I've been waiting for inspiration to hit. (Hasn't happened yet though...) Any suggestions are always greatly appreciated. If you want me to send you more chapters regardless of how I feel about them, to get your opinion, I will do that. Thanks for not giving up on me!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Karen!! Thanks so much. Your comments always make me smile.

      Delete
  8. All week, I have been one day behind myself - so I hear you on the mixing up of the dates!

    Congrats on your small step forward! Sometimes small steps are the best way to get back to where you want to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awful Kyra? I can't keep my dates straight now that I don't work outside the home but one day a week- I am forever asking my kids, what day is it? They roll their eyes and are like, Mom! Get a clue. But I can't help it.

      It's good to hear from you! Miss you girl.

      Delete
  9. Forward progression is all that matters. Steady work is the best work. Good luck on the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandon- thanks so much. I am hoping that this baby step will lead to bigger things. Keep your fingers crossed for me, K?

      Delete
  10. Any writing is better than none at all, even better if you liked it. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dang miracle I liked it at all. I am very hard on myself. Here's hoping I can keep writing material that I approve of. That in itself is a step in the right direction!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on moving forward, and a big, HECK YEAH to baby steps! Sometimes, they're the only way to begin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candi- Thanks for sending such an encouraging comment my way. I am sending you hugs and prayers! .

      Delete
  12. Baby steps are bigger than no steps!

    Hopefully it leads to something even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with baby steps, they move you forward. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Suzanne. It's a step. I have to rejoice in it. No matter how small.

      Delete
  14. LOL, I often forget the date, too...

    And you wrote a piece of flash fiction? That's awesome! Congrats! Baby steps are definitely better than no steps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather!! How are you? How are you feeling? Hope all is well with you this New Year.

      It was a short piece, maybe I'll post it next week and see if anybody else (besides me) likes it too! LOL

      Delete
  15. Glad to read your post, Bird's Nest! I'm not sure what flash fiction is, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by too Write3chairs!! Thanks so much for commenting. Please allow me to try to my best knowledge to explain what flash fiction is- it's a short piece usually 1000 words or less, of fiction. It can be any genre, and exact length can be debated, but the key is to allow your words to pack as much punch as possible, while keeping it brief.

      **If any of my followers have a better definition or would like to add more to my definition- please, by all means jump on in and post it here. But those are the parameters I go by, when writing flash fiction.

      Thanks again for commenting! Hope to see you back again write3chairs :)

      Delete
  16. Writing something always beats writing nothing. Even this blog entry counts toward that. Just keep with the momentum and get yourself to a comfortable pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am really trying to get back in the swing of things. Hopefully, quality will trump quantity.

      Delete
  17. Better late than never. I didn't get to check out your post until Saturday, so I'm late too.

    Glad to hear you are writing. Good luck!

    Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  18. We HAVE to take joy with each step forward... otherwise we'll go mad! Proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some days baby steps are all I can make, so I am a fan of them. And hey, if we are going forward, no matter how slowly, we aren't going backward, right?

    ReplyDelete