About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Bird's Nest January Ups and Downs

The long, cold month of January has arrived. You would think January would bring a little boredom, or a nice, slower pace to my life. But, uh, no. Here's just a little slice of what's been going down in Bird Town:

Ups:
1. My little Franchesca (a/k/a Frankie) is going to turn 10 on the 23rd. Somehow, I can't wrap my mind  around the fact that my baby is going to be a double digit midget, but that's how fast time goes. In order to celebrate this monumental occasion properly, we are throwing her a giant b-day bash. Frankie's only request is that this shin-ding be Penguin Themed. (Which is pretty funny if any of  my older followers recall my post about her muddied history with Penguins...LOL) Any suggestions and/or party ideas/games appropriate for a 10 year old would be greatly appreciated!

2. Academic achievement. For my little nerds, academic achievement is top priority. And so far, this year, I am so proud to say, my girls are killing it! Honor roll was achieved by all. The Husband and I are so excited for Farrah and Frankie, who received High Honor Roll. My oldest, Faith, who is enrolled in a highly competitive gifted and talented program, also managed to make Honor Roll. This is quite an accomplishment, considering the amount and level of work that is assigned to her. (The GATE program kids have a minimum of 4-5 hours of homework a night and use 9th grade text books, even though they are only 7th graders) Also, Miss Faith, just won the GATE Spelling Bee. Which is crazy cool, cause those kids had to spell words I've never even heard of. She is competing in the next level Thursday night. Wish her luck!

3. My Brother Chris, published his book. It's finally available for purchase on Amazon. (FYI: It's offered for a much less expensive price on Amazon than on LuLu)  It took him twice as long as he wanted it to, but hey, at  least he did it. If any of you read it, would you please review it. Let me/him know how or if you liked it. Also, as with many SciFi/Fantasy books, the world in which we find Daniel Manoah (the main character in Convergence) is quite complex and full of controversy. I encourage any of you who might have any questions and/or would like to start an open discussion or debate, feel free to click on my page above entitled "Convergence: Sola Hominidae". The comment section there will be checked often and any and all questions or interest will be directed to and answered (gladly) by the author.

Here's the link. http://www.amazon.com/Convergence-Hominidae-Christopher-Jude-Bird-ebook/dp/B00HMY4PTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1388704447&sr=1-1&keywords=sola+hominidae




OK, now for the Downs:
1. I need another Biopsy. Blech. I'm tired of complaining about my health- but here it is. My latest mammography and then a follow-up ultrasound confirmed that I have a suspicious mass in my breast. I need to have it biopsied. I've been in this position before, I'm sure many of you have found yourself in this position too. It's never fun. Any of my followers who are the praying type, if you don't mind, say one for me, K? This road is not one I relish driving down again, but I am ready and willing to go, if that's where the Lord is leading me.

2. Haven't worked on any of my WIPS.  Have you been wondering how the heck I can still call myself a writer, even though I haven't published a dang thing yet? Deep in my heart, I still identify with and consider myself  a writer. Am I delusional? Maybe. But I'm still holding on to the hope that I will be able to pull out of this slump and create something great one day.  Like Bill Murray, in the movie, What About Bob I cling to my mantra, "Baby Steps." Who knows, before you know it, I may even be able to go sailing!



30 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you! Just hang on to faith and that will quiet the fear.
    Congratulations to your smart kids.
    And don't hire a clown for the birthday party. Clowns are just creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Alex. I'll take em. And as far as clowns go, Agreed! They are creeptastic and best left at the circus.

      Delete
  2. Woot for the great ups in your life in January!

    And you're still a writer. Sometimes we take breaks, and that's okay. I hope everything goes well for the biopsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for calling me a writer Cherie. Haven't felt like on in a long while. But I still want to be.

      Delete
  3. You've got a double dose of prayers coming your way from us. Hang in there! Also, "double digit midget" may be one of my new favorite phrases ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I ever tell you two I think you are the SHIZ? Because you are! Thanks for the prayers guys.

      Delete
  4. I'm a prayer! And yep, you're in them! I've had my poor boobies cut on more times than I care to admit. Sigh. But it has always turned out to be fine. But still it stinks. And the worry is there, because you just know...for some, the results are positive. Hard to believe I used t think of the girls as one of my best assets, now they are just stress makers!
    Congrats to your brother. I'll have to add it to my read list...just cause you said so! And of course you are still a writer. I started my first book in 1999. Then life happened and I had to put the writing on the back burner. I published my first book in 2012. It just takes as long as it takes. The only ones who fail are the ones who quit.

    Congrats on the double digits! I was whining that all my kids are now teens, but my eldest pointed out he'll be twenty this year. I guess the brat thought that would cheer me up.

    Keep us updated...hugs and prayers coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Elizabeth. Your prayers are greatly appreciated. I knew the odds of at least one of my blogging friends having been down this same road were pretty good. I'm sorry this happened to you!. And man, is it a good thing I've got boob to spare because I have had so many bits and chunks taken out of mine at this point, it's a wonder I've got any left! LOL

      All kidding aside, at this point, I am just tired. Tired of putting my family through all of this stress, over and over again. I feel so bad for my husband. He is so tough and strong, with one exception: when it comes to me and the kids. He feels helpless and that freaks him out. He protects us from absolutely every threat he can, but this, he can't control.

      Focusing on Frankie's b-day party makes me happy, and helps reduce stress. (Believe it or not) So we will be having quite a celebration. I'll take pictures and post when I can. And I'll keep you up-dated about the results. Thanks again for praying and the encouraging comment Elizabeth! God bless.

      Delete
  5. Prayers - you got them! Publishing does not a writer make. Wanting to write makes a writer - writing makes a writer. Health keeps us from doing what we want to do. Be very gentle with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss Karen! Thanks for those prayers. I will gladly take them. My health has kind of been all-consuming these past few months. I'm tired of it. Looking forward to putting all of this behind me and hopefully, moving on. And, (insert my super-whiny Jersey accent here...) I really, really, want to be a writer! I have the want, here's hoping I have the talent.

      Delete
  6. Oh, gosh, I'm praying for you! You already have enough health issues, so this is not something you need. Not that anyone does, but you know what I mean.

    I am so proud of Faith! She is one amazing girl. I can't fathom 4-5 hours of homework a night. How is that even possible?? That girl and her drive is going to go far. Congrats to Farrah and Frankie, too, on the honor roll and a very happy birthday to Frankie!

    Very awesome that your brother published his novel. I will definitely buy it!

    And, finally, I had to start a new blog. Here is the link in case you get a chance to pop over: WritesyDaisy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kianwi!!! Faith never ceases to amaze me-she is straight up killing it. And her sisters, made High Honor Roll, which means they got straight A's. I have no idea how I got so blessed to have such smart kids. Lord knows it skipped me. LOL

      Thanks so much for listing the link to your new blog. I thought I had lost you!!! So happy to see you are still up and running. I'm following you by e-mail. And thanks for the prayers. I'll take em.

      Delete
  7. Oh to be 10 again, still fun to be a kid before all the drama from middle-high school begins. It's cool she wants a penguin party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penguins are her favorite. She loves them- I have more fun planning kid's birthday parties than anything else. You get to be a kid all over again yourself, just taking part in them.

      Delete
  8. Those are amazing ups! Yay for your little nerds. :) I've been where you are right now. Biopsies are not fun. My thoughts are with you. And yes, baby steps. You've got your hands full as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew at least one of my blogging friends had been down this road too. Sorry, this has happened to you as well. NEVER fun.

      I am so proud of my little nerds. They are just killing it this year with the grades. The Husband and I are amazed and wowed by their hard work and dedication. It's awesome to see them excel.

      It looks like baby steps is the only pace I can go with right now. But that's ok. As long as I keep moving forward, right?

      Delete
  9. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. It's so nice to meet you. Great, big, welcome to the Bird's Nest. Thank you so much for the follow. I'd love to stop by and check out your blog too.

      Delete
  10. I will be keeping you in my thoughts! <3 It's really no surprise you haven't found time to write with so much going on. Don't put pressure on yourself, just do what you need to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kyra! I think I've been so distracted with everything that's been going on, when I sit down to write, my mind is too overloaded to work properly, LOL I'm not sure what's up with me. But I haven't lost the desire to write all together. No, it's more like, I want to. I just can't seem to produce anything that makes any sense. And yeah, placing too much pressure on myself, GUILTY. I do it all the time. I guess because by now, I thought for sure I would have so much more accomplished in my writing life.

      Thanks so much for the positive, up-lifting comments. It really helps push me along!!

      Delete
  11. Wow, so much exciting news about your family! Congrats to them! I am so, so sorry about the biopsy, though. Will think good thoughts for you!

    As for writing, you don't need to be published to be considered a writer, so don't think otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather. You always brighten my day with your comments. You are always so positive and up-lifting. Big hugs.

      Delete
  12. Oh, no! I'll be praying for you regarding the biopsy.

    And as for games: you could try doing a three-legged race. Or a waddling race. Tie the legs together to have the kids race like penguins!

    Or if that doesn't work, make them waddle in the snow...like penguins. :P

    -Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb! Bon jour mon amie. I love the penguin party suggestions! I'm thinking of doing this: putting Swedish Fish in a plate of whip cream and having the kids "Go fishing" What do you think? Too gross? Knowing my girls and their friends, they are not afraid to get a little messy. I'm thinking they will love it. And a penguin waddle race is a must!

      Delete
  13. First, congratulations to your kids and best of luck to Faith!
    I'm sorry to hear about your health troubles, Jaybird. I'll definitely say a prayer for you. Take care of you. And as far as the writing goes, it takes most people a very long time to get published, so that is certainly not what makes you a writer! You have an amazing voice and someday you will get your work out into the world. :)
    Let me know if you need anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. I will!! I might be calling on you to look at something very soon.. Here's hoping I can pull it together.

      Delete
  14. Will pray for that mass to be nothing serious and writers know they are writers, as long as you can feel it a slump won't kill that true fact. Congrats to you and your amazing kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best Sheena! Thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations to your girls for all making honor roll. Wowzer, 4-5 hours of homework for a 7th grader is insane. but props to Faith for keeping up, and doing well in the spelling bee.

    Congratulations also to your brother on his publication. I'll be sure to check it out.

    Happy birthday to Frankie! I hope you all have an excellent penguin themed day!

    Sorry you've got to have a biopsy. I hope the mass they found is nothing serious. I'm sure your faith in the Lord and the love and support of your family will see you through anything. I will be keeping you in my prayers. <3

    I'm certain you're a writer, even if you've not published anything. I'm unpublished, and still see myself as a writer. It's the intent that counts. and as others have said, don't put too much pressure on yourself. The words will come when other aspects of life have calmed down.

    Again, I'll be keeping you in my prayers, and if you ever need to talk, feel free to email/ message me.

    Much love to you. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4-5 hours is insane, if you ask me. But I am not a gifted and talented kid, LOL. Faith does it diligently. I don't think I'd have the same attitude towards it that she does, that's for sure. Frankie is so excited for her party she can't stand it. She keeps waking up saying, three more days until my b-day. Two more days until the best day ever....you get the idea. She cracks me up.

      And thank you so much for the prayers and the love. I can't tell you how much it means to me! Thank you from the bottom of my heart Clare.

      Delete