About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hello! Again.

Hello again...please allow me to re-announce that I'm back. Because literally five seconds after I posted my whole "I'm back" speech, two of my kids were sent home from school sick. There was such a bad outbreak of the Norovirus, they actually had to close the entire school for cleansing.  This is the same nasty virus that spreads like wild fire and takes down everyone on cruise ships. It's vile and very catching. And, once again, I found myself lacking the time to comment and/or catch up with anyone's posts. Ugh.

My family and I have contracted this lovely virus in the past. So, instead of not posting today, I thought I'd repost what I wrote previously about this virus just to give you a little idea of what I've been dealing with. It's titled, "It's All Fun and Games Until"...

It seems like every year, no matter how many precautions I take, my family still catches the dreaded Norovirus. There is no mistaking this plague once it's unleashed. The minute the first victim goes down, you know it's only a matter of time. One by one, slowly it creeps up to claim you and every single member of your family and any living organism you have come in contact with in the past three days.

The demonic smell of this evil virus alone, is enough to take the strongest of us all out. You have never smelled anything quite like it on the face of this earth, trust me. It's so purely unique in its foulness, you know right away that you are dealing with something horrible, something other than human. Literally, it could be the "weapon of mass destruction" we've been searching for.

Almost like being in labor, when the first clench of a stomach cramp hits you, you know your time has come. Once the Norovirus has claimed you as its next victim, for the next 12-15 hours straight, you will become its bitch. The subsequent shrieks of protests that resound from deep within your abdomen have no effect. The Norovirus, once unleashed, never deviates from its mission. It's ultimate plan, of course, is for you and your entire household to empty your bodies of any fluids or solids ingested since infancy, from every orifice you have.

Over the course of the most miserable 12-15 hours of your existence, you have only two options. Pray and wait. Wild, errant thoughts enter your head while you are wallowing in the trenches. At first, I thought, wouldn't it be easier to just lay me down in the tub and let someone come hose me off from time to time? Then, around the tenth hour, when I was delirious, angry and quite possibly mad, I thought, come on, Norovirus, bring it, what have I got to loose? Another five hours of this and I will reach my goal weight !!

Then, like a King Cobra, as quickly as it strikes, it retreats. Yet you just can't really believe it's gone. Although you wait for the counter attack, it's already moved on to its next victim. This is a good thing since you have no more fight in you. There's nothing left to give. The cold tile floor in your bathroom has become your resting place and it never felt so good. You may, like me, choose to just rest there for another twelve hours or at least until the dizziness and hallucinations pass.  It's only when I'm strong enough to pull the scale out and weigh myself, I know it's truly moved on.

Although the battle is over, unfortunately, the damage is done. The whole house is wounded and just trying to get the smell out can takes weeks. Just consider every single pot, garbage can, blanket, pillow, comforter and pair of underwear your family has ever owned as collateral damage. There is no recouping those losses.

So what advice can I give after this kind of destruction? Go on with your life. Rebuild, take comfort knowing your skinny jeans will fit you once again.. Live, laugh, love to the fullest. Because you never know. It's all just fun and games, until ....

23 comments:

  1. Haha. Also, ew. Did they really close down the school? Yikes. Glad your back. For reals this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I couldn't believe it. But too many staff members and kids had contracted it and by then end of the day, Frankie said only six kids were left in her class and in Farrah's only four! It was awful. Thankfully, over the long weekend they were able to take their time and thoroughly bleach and clean the school.

      Delete
  2. Ooohhhhh so sorry for you and your family. I do need to lose a few el bees by this weekend though. Wonder if I can catch the "short version"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude! This is like ten pounds gone in two days. But, it's so not worth it. I wouldn't wish this diet on my worst enemy! It is so vile. My poor husband got hit the hardest. He was so sick, the girls and I literally started crying. We just wanted it to stop! It was so heartbreaking and awful to watch him be so violently ill. Plus, we are not used to him being the one that's sick; he's like a tank and rarely gets sick.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry!
    And very grateful we almost never get sick in our household. Of course, there are no kids, so I'm sure that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, and praise God that you and your wife are in good health and rarely get sick! That's awesome. I definitely think when you have kids, it raises the chances of you contacting more viruses and colds and stuff. My girls are (thank God) generally healthy and all summer long they are fine. Never fails though, as soon as school starts up again, they get sick.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I am so sorry for you and yours! As we boarded a cruise ship in New Orleans, I got taken out by this demon virus. Spent most of the trip in the room. And I never ever touched any surface in the ship. Nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Oh Susan I am so sorry to hear you had this virus. It's so stinking vile, I swear it is demonic. If hell has a smell, I'm pretty sure it smells like the Norovirus! LOL This virus is supposed to hit cruise ships hard because it is transmitted primarily through food and water. Most cruises have buffets and stuff that lots of people can touch and all it takes is one person to infect the whole ship. It's awful!

      Delete
  5. I catch everything so this post was scary to me. Even my dad might be conquered because he gets sick so rare he only gets the bad ones. My condolences Jaybird, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sheena! Yes, this was a scary virus. I am so thankful we are done with it. My husband had it the worst, which is a rare thing. He is like your dad and generally doesn't get sick. It was straight up awful watching him get taken down by this virus. The girls and I just cried watching him suffer.

      Delete
  6. sorry you had to deal with one more affliction, but I am so glad you're back. I've been worried about you. I've had a rough month myself, unable to sit in a chair for more than about 15 minutes at a time, so I've been somewhat AWOL myself and to self-absorbed to send an email. Stay healthy. Do ONLY what you can, or less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been on my mind and I want you to know, when you feel better feel free to send me what you have done. I am ready to help however I can. I'm sorry to hear that you have been having to deal with illness too. I am trying to stay positive and hope that I can get back to working on some of my writing soon. But, the last time I said that, the kids came home with the virus. LOL We plan, God laughs, right? In any event, glad you seem to be on the mend again and I hope that things return to "normal" for you and I soon. xo

      Delete
  7. Oh no. Hope by the time I have logged on (I'm slow lately too!) that you all are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! Yes, thank God the kids are all better. Like I said above, my poor husband had it the worst. We all felt so bad for him because he rarely gets sick and man, he was violently ill. I thought he should go to the hospital, but he wouldn't allow me to take him (stubborn man that he is) Thankfully, he is better now and we are all back to normal.

      Delete
  8. Ack! So sorry to hear your kids are sick! That Norovirus sounds like such a pain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather!! Good to hear from you. The Norovirus is a vile, disgusting pestilence that just needs to die. The smell alone is just indescribable. Honestly, like I said to Susan, if hell had a smell, I bet it smells like Norovirus. I cleaned my bathroom from top to bottom, and aired out my house as best I can. But it's scary that this could spread through the school so quickly. Gross!!

      Delete
  9. Ack!!! Hope everything has been disinfected and you guys are all on the mend!! Norovirus is sooo nasty and evil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Johanna- love the new picture. Very nice! Yes, thank you we seem to have shed the virus. But we still feel a bit like lepers. I kind of quarantined us; I wouldn't allow any family members to come over and I allow my kids to visit anyone else, since I didn't want to be known as the carriers of such pestilence. Honestly, one of the most vile viruses we have ever come in contact with. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. (Not that I have any known enemies, LOL but if I did...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never actually knew this had a name. The norovirus - how ominous sounding. We just always called it the stomach flu. I only got it once, but it was the most miserable sickness I've ever had in my life, and yep, my entire family got it. We were just in constant misery, all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't quite certain of the name either, until our school had to contact the Health Department on how to properly clean this pestilence. I'm praying that it is completely gone now. It is seriously vile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry you were sick... that's the WORST. HugS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry the girls were sick! I keep meaning to tell you that I am watching and loving the Master Chef, kid edition, and every time I watch it, I think of Faith :) She needs to try out for it!! I still can't believe how much more sophisticated about cooking those kids are than me! It's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so sorry! What a mess. :( I hope everyone is feeling all better now!

    ReplyDelete