About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, September 2, 2013

Red, White & Blue Makes Purple Blogfest



Happy Labor Day! Today I am participating in the Red, White & Blue Makes Purple blogfest, hosted by the fabulous Melanie Schultz.

Here's how this blogfest works:
1. Sign up on the Linky over at Melanie's blog and you receive 1 tally with your name on it (in a hat). Yes, a literal hat.
2. Post a short story of 500 words or less on your site on September 2, 2013, with a military theme, good for 10 tallies.
3. Post about this blogfest/contest on your blog sometime in the next week. - 1 tally
4. On September 2, visit those who have posted stories and leave a comment on their sites- 1 tally
5. On September 2, mention Melanie's blog- 1 tally

All the stories entered will be complied into an anthology and put into an e-book available on Kindle. All proceeds will go to Operation Purple, a great organization that sends children of our military to summer camp, free of charge.  And if that's not incentive enough, one randomly chosen entry will win a $50.00 amazon gift card, as well as a signed copy of Melanie's book, The Newstead Project. Win, win, all around if you ask me.

Here's My Entry:

         One, two, three. I count off in my head. Calm it down. You know what to do. Stop and slow your breathing. Who cares that you just ran a hundred feet at full tilt with shots fired at you in every direction? Too stinking bad you ripped every last bit of skin off your arm sliding into this prone position; none of that matters. Suck it up Marine!

My instincts and training snap into place. I focus on my breathing and go absolutely still. The air around me is hot, stagnant. I’m sweating profusely, which causes these little grains of rough sand to stick like glue to every last inch of me. I block out all the chaos around me until I hear absolutely nothing but the sound of my own breath. Four, five, six. The pain in my arm, disappears. There are no more uncomfortable bits of sand sticking to me. I do not feel the sweat dripping down my back or the blood flowing down my arm. The intense heat of the desert sun burning my skin dissipates. The sand fleas jumping around my ears fade to nothing. My pulse slows to a crawl. Seven, eight. Just breathe. In and out. I line up the shot. My spotter has fallen. Don't think about that. You can't think about that. Block. It. Out. Nothing matters but this shot. Snipers don't miss. I close my eyes and my wife's beautiful face, all lit up with that huge smile of hers, flashes briefly in my mind. Failure is not an option. Nine. I take in a deep breathe.

I squeeze the trigger. Ten.

Hope you liked my entry. Now I'm off to go check out all the others! Wishing you all a  marvelous Labor Day!  ~Jaybird

    

 

24 comments:

  1. Great story - very evocative - and a fantastic cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annalisa! So good to have you back from your break.

      Delete
  2. I love it! (Plus, my husband's a sniper.) :)
    I love the idea behind this hop, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that! The Husband is too. And I think my girls are well on their way!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Great story, Jaybird! Snipers rock, and Operation Purple sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting this wonderful blog fest! I'm just glad I could give back in some small way.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I was transported. Excellent Jaybird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great description, I am loving reading all the posts on the hop :)
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for stopping in and commenting.

      Delete
  7. Great use of the different senses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Li- thanks so much. I appreciate all the feedback!

      Delete
  8. Excellent piece! I love the voice of the inner dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! My inner dialogue never shuts up. Between my own crazy thoughts and all the characters that speak in my head, it's a wonder I haven't been committed! LOL

      Delete
  9. Very powerful piece, full of emotional turmoil and guts! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn- I am so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic idea for a blogfest! I really love your entry. So intense, and full of so many great descriptions, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Heather! You are too kind.

      Delete
  11. What a great piece! The tension had me holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! Thank you very much- I'm so glad it worked.

      Delete