About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Bird's Nest Transitions and Sacrifice HER Cover Reveal!

Hey Everyone! First things first: do you all know the lovely Miss Sheena over at Queendsheena?  I count myself blessed to have had the opportunity to get to know her.  Initially, Sheena and I met through the A-Z Challenge, where I honestly think she gave the Ninja Captain himself, Alex  J. Cavanaugh  a run for his money when it came to leaving the most comments!! (Which we all know it's close to impossible to beat Alex in the comment department, LOL) Today, I could not be happier to take part in Sheena's cover reveal for Sacrifice HER! It's awesome. Please take a moment and  show Sheena some love by checking  it out:



                                                             Sacrifice HER by Sheena-kay Graham
Goodreads: Sacrifice HER
       Release Date: December 2013

 Summary: When a city is at stake is the life of one sixteen-year old girl worth risking thousands? Deidra Moore goes on the run after escaping from a group of human sacrifices for Bane: God of War. She doesn't believe he exists and sees uncertainty in the scorching desert as a better alternative. But Faux City isn't finished with her and their leader Lord Brinn is ordered by Bane - through one of his maiden worshipers- to bring her back or face dire consequences. In the desert Deidra meets a wanderer named Kane and as feelings spark can they find a safe place to lead a new life before Lord Brinn and his soldiers catch up with them? Yet the question remains. Does Bane really exist and if he does what will happen if either side succeeds or fails? Told in alternating perspectives of both the runaway servant girl and the blonde strong willed leader.
 
Author Bio:
Sheena-kay Graham was never meant for a traditional job behind a desk. Her childhood career plans included becoming a ballerina, actress or someone who helped people. So naturally she decided to be a writer who writes from her bed. Yes, no desk for this Jamaican book lover. No matter if it’s reading, writing or using the computer....you get the gist. The love of the written word has always been with her leading to stories, novels, poetry and way too much fan fiction. This Christian woman can be found trolling Amazon online, in local book bookstores, watching movies on the big screen, or in her bed, or reading/writing/on the laptop...again in her bed. Mainly writes YA fiction and is ready to unleash her creativity to wow the masses.
 
Links
 
 
Now I'd like to talk about some hard transitions that are happening over at the Bird's Nest. Specifically, the transition from elementary school to Junior High School. It's been a rough one. I don't know about you, but going from a tiny school with a total of 120 students, where the Superintendent/Principal knows every single one of the kids by their first name, to a ginormous regional school with over a 1,000 students, can be pretty traumatic. (The media center in the Junior High School alone could fit our entire elementary school in it...) Faith has never even had a male teacher before.

Besides getting used to the overall largeness and diversity of the school, Faith got accepted to a very competitive academic program called GATE. No other students from her elementary school that  applied got accepted. She literally knows no one in any of her classes. (Except for in lunch, thank God she knows one other girl.) It's a such a tough thing, for a shy kid to start all over again. It's hard for her to make new friends. I keep encouraging her to try to start conversations with the other girls and maybe extend herself a bit, but Faith doesn't have my type of outrageous outgoing personality. Needless to say, things have been a bit bumpy.

It's only been five days since she started. On the first day she got lost a few  times, but still managed to make it to class on time. Yesterday, she had her brand new sneakers which she only wore once,  stolen right out from under her in the locker room. Then she came home and tried to access her student account called EDMODO and could not get in. She couldn't finish her homework  and to a kid like Faith not finishing a homework assignment is just as criminal as someone stealing her sneakers! Oh, there was a whole lot of wailing and crying.  I e-mailed her teacher and he e-mailed me back almost immediately saying not to worry he would personally walk her through it the next day. He was very understanding and so helpful. On another positive note, she made the volleyball team. Which was a whole other worry for her (and me) since this is the first time she has tried out for a sport. Academically, this program is tough but Faith is a smart cookie and I have no doubt she will ultimately be fine. Me, on the other hand, am one giant mess. Emotionally, I can't believe my baby is in Junior High School.  Academically, I never felt like a bigger dumb ass than when The Husband and I sat through the GATE orientation!
I still can't believe my sweet little girl is in Junior High School. Ugh.
 As soon as the Math teacher stood up and started walking us through a bit of her curriculum, it was like she was speaking a completely different language. I didn't understand a word coming out of her mouth. I heard,  "Calculus, equations, differential and blah, blah, wha, wha, wha" Then it all sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. I blanked. My kid is in seventh grade! And she's going to be doing Calculus? Holy crap. The same thing happened with Science- all I heard was microbiology and virology and something, something....The Husband and I looked at each other and panicked. But then, we looked over at Faith and saw a huge smile on her face. At least she seemed super stoked about it. The teachers are all absolutely amazing and Faith seems to like them all a whole lot. I'm betting Faith will wind up doing very well. Now, for me, the best part of this whole stinking transition is that the GATE program has Faith enrolled in a class called Genres of Writing. *SQUEEE!* Finally, someone is speaking MY language. After listening to that teacher talk about her genres curriculum I was so freaking excited I wanted to sign up for the class!!  It's awesome. Just listen to this- Faith's first assignment was to write: "If you were to receive superpowers for just one day, what kind of superhero would you be and why?"  The next assignment was to write a horror story with a twist, based on one of Edgar Allen Poe's tales!!! I think I might do that stinking assignment myself because it sounded like so much fun! 

Overall, I'm sure in a big transition year such as this, we will be experiencing many ups and  downs. I am just praying that by the end the ups will madly outweigh all the downs and things will eventually calm down and even out. And then, I have the added pleasure to look forward to repeating this entire transition process all over again with child #2, Farrah Beth, who will be graduating and moving on up to the Junior High School herself,  next year!  (Lord have mercy!)  

14 comments:

  1. Sheena rocks! I'm so excited for her cover...it's beautiful.

    And I'm excited for Faith, too. You are such good parents. Don't worry, she's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheena-kay's new cover is gorgeous! Faith is super lucky to get in that program. I know when I went to junior high it was rough, and then high school, yikes! Yet she'll find her way. She's your daughter, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be glad because in Jamaica after elementary/primary school it is straight to high school. There are a few junior high around now but the best bet for education is still High School. I remember going from a co-ed preparatory school straight to an all-girl high school when entering 7th grade. The sixth formers (year 12) seemed so much older and I too knew only a few people. Faith seems excited so that's a good thing and that genre class sounds amazing. I was on my own when it came to Math. Best of luck at your new school young lady and of course to you Jay and your husband with the children.

    And thank you for taking part in the reveal and all those sweet things you said about me. I'm glad I met you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seeing Sheena's cover art all over Blogdom today. Best wishes to her and a smashing success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Transitions can be hard, but the best time for growth. I'm excited too--just the idea of a class that focuses on genres in writing... Wouldn't it be fun to be a student again sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She'll manage! Glad she made the volleyball team.
    Congratulations to Sheena-kay!
    And I do have a reputation to maintain...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing sheena-Kay all over the place,her cover is very interesting.

    Public School, you gotta love it. Glad your daughter is so excited. I'm sure she will do well and you will survive, although you'll probably also develop a few gray hairs along the way. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I know how you feel. My oldest just started 6th grade. funny enough she is in GT(gifted and talented) and none of her friends are in those classes. It is hard, but she is coping. Time does rush forward.

    Awesome cover btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your poor baby. I was one of those introverts that hated new environments. But facing the challenges did make me stronger and has helped me to put myself out there with the writing thing. I wrote for years and never shared it with a soul...my husband thought I was having an affair with all of my password protected files.

    And the other night, someone stole my son's shorts from the locker room. I thought it was a joke at first because someone came to the concession stand where I was working and said, "Mrs. Seckman, Cole is stuck in the locker room...he doesn't have anything to wear but his underwear." What's wrong with people?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep seeing Sheena's cover everywhere this week. Love it!

    Transitions are always tough, especially junior high ones. (Those were honestly some of my worst years. Sigh.) That GATE program sounds super-impressive. (I mean, seriously, calculus at that age?! Whoa!) Hopefully this transition becomes easier for you all to handle sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheena's cover is beautiful. I've been seeing it everywhere. And your poor daughter. We've always talked about homeschooling middle school because it was so hard for me and the hubs. Impressed she made it to GATE. Making new friends is hard. I'll be thinking about her and hoping everything works out smoother soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to Faith for being accepted into GATE! It's tough on parents to see their children making these massive transitions - even though they knew it was coming, there's something alarming about realising how grown up their kids have become! It must be especially tough since she's shy, but I'm sure she'll settle in just fine. It always sees to be tougher on the parents than the kids! Keep smiling, jaybird! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, your girl is adorable! time flies right??
    congrats to sheena!!! and love your new profile pic

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kids are resilient. Faith sounds like a pretty cool customer. I'm sure she'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete