About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What's That Smell?

Not sure about you, but my girls are like three little mermaids all summer long. From the second the weather cooperates and The Husband opens our pool, those girls are in it. They will go in early in the morning and not come out until it's dark and they are shroomed' and shriveled and even then, I have to practically drag them out of it. The only time they willingly come out is when I yell into the backyard, "Who  wants to go to the beach?" Yes, it's only with the promise of yet more swimming, I lure my little mermaids out of the water.
Funky Frankie finally clean.
Last week, I got sick. Real sick. And just like that, I was taken out of commission. I had to stop and leave what I was doing (which was teaching VBS), so I could go home and rest. I had no choice but to stay put, in bed. It's really hard for me to swallow, living with these limitations, but this is my life. And this is what happens every so often to remind someone like me, who has a compromised immune system and tries to live like I'm normal, that I'm not. I have to stop pushing my body until it just gives out.  The Husband and the girls accept these limitations on me, much more easily than I do. They are really great about stepping up when Mom hits a wall and is down for the count. They don't seem to miss a beat. Everyone pitches in and helps taking on my chores and responsibilities. Sometimes, (I'm ashamed to admit this) it makes me feel bad that they can all just go on turning so easily, without me. But last week, they missed something.

The girls did all the things they usually do but instead of me navigating The Husband took the wheel of the ship. My little mermaids went on their play dates and to their doctor's appointments and school shopping and to VBS and of course, they continued to swim everyday. Since I was confined to bed rest, I only saw my girls for a couple of minutes, at different times during the day. One night, when my littlest mermaid came to say goodnight and crawled into bed with me I smelled something funky. It didn't take me long to figure out who it was. This is how our conversation went:

Jaybird:  "I see your hair is wet. Did you take a shower?"
Frankie: "Oh no Mom. I'm good."
Jaybird: "What do you mean, you're good? Did you take a shower or not?"
Frankie: "I took a pool."
Jaybird: "You took a pool?"
Frankie: "Yeah. It's the same thing as taking a shower."
Jaybird: "Um, no it's not."
Frankie: "Dad said."
Jaybird: "Dad said what?"
Frankie: "You're chlorinated kid. So I thought, I'm good."
Jaybird: "Frankie, you're funky. Go take a shower.
Frankie: "I'll take one in the morning."
Jaybird: "Go take one now."
Frankie: "But I don't want to take a shower. I'm clean." (insert a really bad NJ whine and tired kid voice here)
Jaybird: "Frankie, you smell like parm cheese."
Frankie: "Really?"
Jaybird: "Yep. You are ripe kid. Go take a shower now."
Frankie: "Kay'."

Sometimes,  it's nice knowing you are still needed, after all :)

35 comments:

  1. Haha. You are always needed, Jaybird. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, but I'm so glad you have an awesome support team at home to take over when you need a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- they are awesome how they just pick up and go on. I have a good team over here.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, pool water stinks after a while.
    Other than stinky kids, sounds like your family had your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being stinky was just a minor hiccup. They really do great without me. Which is a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better. I'm a lazy Mom and when my kids get in the pool that substitutes for a shower in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better this week thanks. What is it about summer that makes kids not want to shower? I don't think I'll ever figure that one out.

      Delete
  4. Ah, jaybird, so sorry you hit a wall. It is hard when we're suddenly taken out of commission. And I guess, especially hard if we don't feel "needed." Just know you are. My grown up son recently told me you have to just assume I want and need you in my life, even if I don't always say it or show it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so sweet Karen. How nice of your son to reassure you like that. Boys aren't known for being overly effusive with their feelings so I think it's awesome he acknowledged that fact. Deep down, I know my kids still need me. Sometimes, when I'm feeling a bit sorry for my sad self, I tend to forget what's really important. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well!

    And it's good to be needed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! Thanks. I feel better this week.

      Delete
  6. Hey, hope you're feeling better and your kids are a crack up!

    "I'm good...I took a pool"...lol

    To kids, though, that is -totally- logical :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was SERIOUS. I could not stop laughing. I took a pool! Who can even say that with a serious face? Only my kid. LOL

      And thanks. I do feel a bit better this week.

      Delete
  7. Jaybird - I love the way you find humor and love in every moment! Thanks for making me smile! "I took a pool" - love that!
    It is wonderful to be needed, and I totally get that, "wait, don't they need me?" feeling - I think it's a mom thing. :)
    I hope you feel better really, really soon, and get to play mermaid with your daughters! We love swimming and the ocean and our house too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T! Yeah, my girls are hilarious. Don't know where they come up with this stuff. I'm glad my girls swim like fish, but I draw the line at smelling like them! LOL

      Delete
  8. Oh man I wish I had been able to swim this summer, missed it entirely. Sorry you were sick, hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Brandon! That's too bad. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to swim at all. That's all my kids want to do. It's good exercise for them, so I'm ok with it. I should do more of it myself, instead of bobbing around on a raft. That's the extent of my swimming. I don't like to get my hair wet. LOL

      Delete
  9. You are so right- there's nothing worse than coming home and finding out you aren't as necessary as you thought you were. I'm sorry to hear about your sickness- is it something that happens a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unfortunately Mel it happens a lot more than I'd like to admit. I have a chronic illness- and I'm immune compromised. I should know better than to push myself, but I never want to admit defeat. I fight it as hard as I can but there are times my body gives out on me. It stinks, but it is what it is. I have to learn to live with limitations. That's just hard to swallow, sometimes. I know it could always be worse, so I try not to let it get to me too much.

      Delete
  10. Bet the hubs heard about that later. Sorry about the fact you were sick, I get ill easily as well. Hope you're better and keep track of your little mermaids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe The Husband didn't smell the funk coming off that kid! As soon as she jumped in bed with me and hugged me I couldn't believe how bad she really stunk! LOL

      I am feeling much better this week. Fingers crossed I can make it through the rest of the summer well!!

      Delete
  11. I read yesterdays post while in bed trying to recover from a week of 'hitting that wall' myself. (I DO know what it is to have a compromised immune system.) Just wanted to say glad your back and let you know that I did take a shower first thing this morning ( as soon as I knew I could stay vertical for more than 30 minutes) after two days of not being able to get off my back. I hate to admit it but I was kinda ripe myself.

    Man, you're a good MOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about you hitting the wall too. I love that you said "I was kinda ripe myself". I can relate. There are some days Barb where just getting up and taking a shower seems like too monumental of a task and I know it will exhaust me. I hate to admit it but that's the truth. We can only do so much and trying to push it, never works out well for me. I don't know why I don't learn from past mistakes, but I'm kind of thick that way! Hope you are back up on your feet and feeling better in no time.

      Delete
  12. You're definitely necessary! No way is a pool dip the same as a shower. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, what is it about summer time that makes kids NOT want to bathe but they will want to spend their entire day in some other body of water? I don't get it. :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. When my kids were really little, they used to call Parmesan cheese, "the stinky feet cheese" because that's what they thought the good Italian stuff I buy smells like. I swear, my kid's pits smelled just like that. I couldn't believe it!! She was so ripe. Little stinker!

      Delete
  14. Pool water does have a funky smell O_o

    It usually turns my hair green if I'm in it for too long! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece is blonde and her hair always turns green like grass by the end of the summer. Us brunettes don't suffer from much of that but the chlorine does make your hair brittle and hard. And it smells funky.

      I am feeling much better this week thanks!

      Delete
  15. too funny. so if i use the pool it's not a shower...gotcha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kid logic. Gotta love it. The epitome of summer laziness- why shower when you have a perfectly good pool to jump in!! LOL

      Delete
  16. I hope you're feeling better by now.

    Also, just wait until you grow up, Frankie. Then you can smell like parm cheese as much as you want without mom nagging you to incessantly shower. Psssh, grown ups. Hygiene is so overrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's The Husband's ultimate plan, if his daughters grow up smelling like parm cheese, no boys are going to swarm around them. Nope, they will run far away from funky Frankie! LOL

      And yes, thank you, I feel a bit better this week. Not great, but better. Any day I'm not bed ridden, is a good day for me. Here's hoping I can be back to "normal" in the next couple of days. It's hard to sit still and stay in bed. Especially for a ADD type of person like me. Thank God for good books!!!

      Delete
  17. Oh funny. Dads are just not the same as moms. ;) I'm sorry you've been sick. That's got to be awful. Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm ok now. I just do way too much and push myself until I can't go anymore. I should learn my lesson, but nah, I'm just too dumb for that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh, sorry you were bound to the bed. I do think it's cute, though, to imagine your big, macho husband taking on girl duty :) Although, clearly he doesn't get the finer points of things, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete