About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 23, 2013

Good Times

I'd like to start today's post by saying thanks so much for all of the well-wishes guys! I really do appreciate it.  I am happy to report after keeping to some strict bed rest last week, I am finally feeling better. But boy does this chick hate being confined to bed. It's torture for a Bird like me to have their wings clipped. All  I can say is, Thank God for good books! Most of the time, reading is all that keeps me from going bonkers. Considering last week virtually stood still for me, I just can't believe how this week whizzed on by. Here's what's been going on at the Bird's Nest this week:

*Despite being trapping in the house on bed rest, I still haven't worked on anything writing related. I know this seems like the perfect time to do so, but trust me, I've tried to write before when I was in a brain fog, and it's not worth it. I just wind up scraping everything in the end because it makes zero sense. I do, however, like to read in the genre I'm working in. This week, that means I read a lot of Urban Fantasy. Good times, good times.  If you can't BE a kick-butt heroine or write about one, reading about one is the next best thing, to me. :)

*The Husband and I went to a wedding. I was a  little worried because I am still recovering, but I thought if I just take it easy and not dance or run around, I'd be alright.  The reception venue was one I hadn't been to in years, but had a very solid reputation.  Although the wedding itself was lovely, the food was the worst I have ever tasted. If The Husband is hungry and doesn't eat the meat he's being offered, that's bad. I felt so sorry for the parents of the bride, because I know they spent a fortune on that food. I have to say it was the first time I ever came home from a wedding having to hit up the Wendy's because my $150.00 plate of food sat untouched. Tragic.

*I had to take all three girls to the doctor for sports physicals and shots and eye tests and all the general well visit stuff kids need before starting school again. Looks like one baby bird might need some glasses. I thought she might squawk at this, but instead she surprised me by being kind of jazzed. She can't wait to pick out the "most sparkly bright purple" pair of glasses. *Fingers crossed I can find frames that come in extra gaudy* 

*It was Shark Week and our TiVo memory has been filled to maximum capacity. My daughters  go crazy for these shows. Many of you know I hate to swim with things. That is particularly true of the ocean. I usually only go in up to my shins. After watching Shark Week, I am now hitting the ankle mark. My little mermaids, however, go all out. They love to push it and see how far they can go, before the lifeguards start blowing their whistles. Punks.

So this week, imagine my surprise, while I was sitting my crazy ass up on the beach, diligently scanning the horizon for fins, like I usually do, when all of a sudden I see one!! I actually had to do a double take. But that's exactly what it was, an extremely large fin!!  What did I do? I did what any other psycho lunatic mother would, I jumped up and down and waved my arms like that scene in Jaws and started screaming "Shark!" A few minutes later, a couple more crazies spot the fin and start yelling for their people to come out of the water. Before I full on hyperventilated and keeled right the hell over onto the sand, three more fins popped up. And oddly, that's when I grew calm. You see, I knew, from watching freaking Shark Week, most sharks don't hunt in groups. Right when I came to that conclusion, all four fins broke the surface at once and jumped. It turned out to be nothing more than a  pod of graceful dolphins. The whole ordeal left me feeling winded, a bit ridiculous and totally tuckered out. The kids took pity on me and stayed close to shore from then on. Still, that night, I had a horrible nightmare about my girls getting eaten by a shark. Stupid shark week. Messing with my head!
I'm so sad to say over 200 dolphins on the East Coast have reportedly died this summer and no one knows why :(
Hope you all had a great week! Anyone else hit the beach? Ever see any fins? I'm still in the process of scrolling down my blog list, trying to catch up with everyone. If I haven't hit you up yet, I will soon. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

19 comments:

  1. Scary! But so cool to get to see dolphins! :) Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. :( Clearly I missed a post and will have to go back and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better now, thanks! That fin really did scare the poop out of me, at first. My girls were swimming WAY out because unlike me, they have zero fear. I was in such a panic when I saw that fin pop up I thought, OH MY GOSH, what are the odds that three sharks are out where my three girls are swimming? Thank GOD it was only dolphins. But I still made the girls come in- I was so freaked out.

      Delete
  2. I would've done the same. But that's cool you got to see dolphins so close.
    Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one who would panic. The dolphins in this picture are not the same ones that we saw on the beach- but we were just about as close. They are beautiful animals.

      Delete
  3. I assume the cause of the dolphin death is something man-made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad-no one knows for sure yet, right now they are blaming it on some kind of "virus" but I don't know if I believe that.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't tear my kids away from shark week either. They were obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, we had to tune in every single night. I already freak swimming out too far in the ocean, but after watching all of the people who got attacked on the shore really freaked me out!! It doesn't seem to get to my girls, at all. And we go to the beach almost every day!! I wish I had their nerves of steel. :)

      Delete
  5. Did you know that two different fishermen have caught two different 200 pound plus Bull Sharks near a river outlet in Chesapeake Bay? And if you've seen Shark Week, you know you DON'T want Bull Sharks nearby. Maybe they have to do with the dolphins dying...?

    I'm glad you saw dolphins. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Emmy did you see the episode on the Voo Doo shark? They said it is most likely a huge Bull hanging out in the fresh water of the Bayou attacking people. That, is the stuff my nightmares are made up of!! The very first recorded shark attack in US history, happened right off the island where my kids and I go to the beach! Three people died over the course of two weeks and their deaths were attributed to it being a Bull. Of course, none of this information deters daughter #2. She is fascinated by all of it, and has claimed since the age of three that she wants to be a marine biologist and specialize in the study of sharks. Her favorite is the Lemon, but Bulls would have to hold a close second. I know more trivia and facts about sharks than I EVER thought possible, thanks to her.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you're doing better. No writing was done, but a lot of reading is just as good. It's research! ;) Thankfully there were no sharknadoes! Hehehe! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! Oh my gosh- that's hilarious. My little one when we say that show on the Sci Fi line up, said "Mom, Sharknadoes? They are really reaching with that one, huh?" LOL

      Delete
  7. Glad that you're feeling better! I have seen dolphins at the beach before, and my first thought is usually sharks. I don't blame you for being worried. And that's a shame the wedding meal was so terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh it was awful. And neither me or my husband is the least bit picky. The food was just gross- if we didn't eat, that's bad. How do you screw up a cocktail weeny? That's like wedding appetizer 101- but they did it! I really felt bad for the parents of the bride, because at that point, it's too late to do anything about it. So sad.

      Glad I'm not the only one who would think "Shark" first.

      Delete
  8. Hey J, I had no idea you've been sick. That's what a blog slacker I've been this summer. I'm glad you're feeling better, and I'll send up prayers for an extra speedy total recovery. I'm so jealous of the picture you just painted in my mind. Living in AR, we don't come across many dolphins or sunsets on the beach, lol. We do have lots of cray-cray squirrels though. Glad your kiddo is excited about glasses. Strange, my kid doesn't need them, but wishes she could have a sparkly pair too. Hope you have a totally fab weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Celeste! I'll take all the prayers I can get. Thanks! I am, feeling much better this week, thankfully. But I have to take it easy.

      I really do love and appreciate living at the beach, even if I am such a spaz... We have dolphins and seals and all kinds of otters. I know my girls love living here as well, it's just seeing a fin pop up like that, it's like a real life nightmare. S-c-a-r-y!.

      We have our fair share of cray-cray squirrels running around my back yard too. My dad, is such a nut, he even has a wood chuck that comes when he calls it and eats right out of his hand!! I guess "nuts" runs in the family :)

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I like the shark/dolphin story. It must have been such a relief.

    Sad about the mysterious dolphin deaths. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad. I really hope that they figure out what's going on. I hate to loose so many beautiful animals. And I certainly favor them swimming next to me, over a Great White any day!

      And I really am feeling much better this week. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I wish I lived by the ocean, because I would love to see dolphins! My friend is terrified of sharks and refused to go in the ocean. It cracks me up, and now I can add you to my chuckle list :) My friend also won't go hiking because she's afraid she'll get eaten by a bear.

    ReplyDelete