About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 12, 2013

Sleep. It's not over-rated. At all.

Hey guys. So let me fill you in on what's been up. Me! That's what. Haven't been getting much sleep these past few days and I'm afraid any thoughts of catching up on some Z's tonight is out of the question. Because tonight, I am hosting a slew of Faith's girlfriends for her 12th birthday and sleep over party extravaganza! 




Can't hardly believe my little girl is turning 12.

There was time in my life, when I could fall asleep on a picket fence and in a matter of minutes. But not anymore. Now I  lay awake for hours, staring at the ceiling, praying that maybe, just maybe, I can close my eyes and fall asleep even if it's only for an hour or two.  What changed?  Why can't I fall asleep and stay asleep? I have come up with a theory why.

Don't get me wrong. Every single one of those sleep deprived nights, were well worth it.
We always manage to fit in a laugh

My sleeping habits for the first half of my life were healthy and normal. But that was all BK (before kids). It seems to me that all the years of forcing my self to stay awake when my girls were babies, night after night after night, disrupted my sleep patterns greatly. I can't seem to relax my body or my mind long enough, to actually fall asleep. It does something to you, when you are all relaxed and comfortable and just falling into a nice, deep sleep and then WAAAAAA! WAAAAA! Boom. Snap. Your eyes pop open and your heart starts racing and you jump up out of bed in the dark, usually banging into something like the edge of the dresser with your knee and then your cussing and rushing to the babies' room and by that time your nightgown is soaked because your boobs are leaking like crazy and then by the time you feed the baby, burp her and  lay her back down and get her to go back to sleep, you are now fully and completely awake.

At first, when I just had Faith, I tried going right back to sleep. I really did. But less than a year later I had Farrah and I had the pleasure of repeating the whole nighttime scenario I just explained to you, times two. And another eighteen months after that, along came my Franchesca. At this point in motherhood, at least for me, once I was up, I was up. There was no going back. Although my babies have all grown up, my sleep patterns have remained, irreparably broken.

We have a bit of a running joke in our house that goes something like this: Dad fights in his sleep, Daughter #1 walks in her sleep, Daughter #2 farts ridiculously loud in her sleep, Daughter #3 laughs and giggles in her sleep and Mom, well, Mom just NEVER sleeps.  Ha.

This evening, I have already resigned myself to the fact that I will be pulling an all-nighter. It has always struck me as funny, that these events are called "sleep" overs, since no form of sleep is ever encouraged or happens at them, at all. And God forbid you are the one who falls asleep first!  I can almost guarantee that unfortunate person will fall victim to all kinds of mischief. You know, like squirting shaving cream on the victim's hand and then tickling their face or having  a mustache and funny eyebrows drawn on them with marker while they snore away obliviously....there are so many more but that's all my sleep-deprived brain can come up with right now.

How about you? Is it hard for you to fall asleep? Have you ever been the unfortunate one who fell asleep first at an all-nighter? What kind of mayhem and mischief have you experienced or got up to at sleep-over parties? Have any suggestions for us tonight? :)

This is one of my favorite pictures of my three girls, from back in the day.

38 comments:

  1. I don't believe in taking drugs for most problems but there has to be some natural remedies out there that would work.
    At some point, your body really will pass out from exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid computer gacked my reply to you! Let me try this again, anyway, I feel the same way you do; I hate the idea of taking meds to combat this problem. Usually, my bouts of insomnia end with me falling asleep in a narcoleptic fashion, like right in the middle of dinner. My head feel right into my plate of spaghetti once!! The kids thought that was just hilarious!

      Delete
  2. I usually have an easy time going to sleep. I do get insomonia randomly though. I take a sleep aid on those nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were just a random occurrence, I don't think I'd have a problem taking a sleep aid. But I suffer from insomnia so much, I'm afraid I would have to rely too heavily on a sleep aid.

      Delete
  3. Been there and done that. I've been sleep deprived for at least a decade. Like you it's a crash and burn process. I go for so long and then crash and burn. Best sleep aid I've found - wine.

    Don't even get me started on the sleep overs. Ha! Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine does relax me. I can't drink too much of it because alcohol and me don't mix well...no good usually comes of me drinking it. Did you see the movie "Blind Date?" Yeah, well. That's me and alcohol. LOL

      Delete
  4. Your girls are adorable. Yes, this is all too familiar. My first 2 are 13 months apart, boy do I remember those days. I can't believe you had 3 that close together. You are such an amazing mom, and this just comes with the territory, I guess. It's worth it, though, to raise those wonderful kids, right? My husband falls asleep less than 30 seconds once his head is on the pillow. I envy him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband falls asleep like yours; 30 seconds of quiet and then: boom! He's SNORING. Me, I will just stare and stare at the ceiling, never quite mastering the "turning off my mind". That has a lot to do with it too, I can't shut down completely. I am always thinking about all the things I have to do the next day...what I need at the food store...you know! Everything.

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh... your girls are so beautiful! And holy... I will FREAK when my oldest turns 12... so weird...

    I've always been able to sleep fine... though lately, I really struggle with falling asleep because of the whole writing thing. It's a world that's hard to turn off! I'm so sorry you suffer so badly with insomnia. I wouldn't function! I don't know how you are!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan! It's hard when you are a writer; so many plots are going on in my head already, and then add in all the mom responsibilities and it's overload. And I don't really function all that well for example, read this blog! Ha. I think lack of sleep is why I make so many grammar mistakes and typos. I'm always exhausted and not firing on all pistons! LOL

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous pic! I know all about those *sleep over* parties so I can imagine what your night will be like. Try and join in the fun (if they'll let you!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I'm all in. These girls want me to be a part of everything!! They beg me to play. I'm very thankful that this group of girls love me so much and still include me.

      Delete
  7. Good luck, Jaybird! I am the same way, laying awake at night trying to fall asleep. I've told my husband I'm so jealous that he falls asleep so fast. It's just not fair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not fair! I'm all, "I'm so tired." So The Husband will say "then go to sleep!" Like it's that simple, ha.

      Delete
  8. My mom doesn't get much sleep, but then again, she has to put up with my dad's loud snoring.

    As for me, it depends on what's on my mind. If I can settle into a daydream, then I'll fall asleep pretty quickly. If I'm thinking about the next day or something like that, then it can take a while to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband snores too. It's quite annoying. We've tried all the "tricks" to get him to stop. Nothing has worked. It's so loud, you can hear him through a closed door.

      Delete
  9. What a bunch of cuties :)

    Good luck with hosting a pack of 12 year olds....I'm sure you won't need any earplugs, or anything :P

    As for not being able to sleep, I've never had that problem but my friend's wife does. She says that, when she wants to relax, she smells baby powder....yes, baby powder.

    Maybe smelling some of that and drinking some warm milk (which has lactic acid to make you tired) might help?

    Either way, have fun and have a great weekend, Mrs. Bird :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! Warm milk just makes me have to pee more. Which is another reason I don't sleep. I wake up a million times to go to the bathroom. LOL

      The Husband says he's going to wear ear plugs. But I doubt that will help the sound seven twelve year olds partying! :)

      Delete
  10. It takes me forever to fall asleep. I wish I was one of those ones who could do it at a drop of a hat! Have fun!!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison! Sorry to hear you suffer from lack of sleep too. It stinks.

      Delete
  11. I have random nights when I can't sleep - usually just before a morning shift, which makes me a very grumpy gym instructor! Mostly though I fall asleep quite easily. Deep breathing helps. I lie on my back and breath in, beyond a normal breath, imagining my lungs expanding and my chest rising... and then I breath out very slowly. It really helps to relax you, even if that relaxation doesn't lead to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to take yoga; that did help a bit. Now I can't get my body in those same positions I used to. (without getting stuck that way, HA)

      Delete
  12. I think they're called sleep overs to lull parents into a false sense of security. I mean which parent would let their children hold a 'sleep never' at their house. Those pictures are so cute thanks for sharing and sorry about your lack of sleep but like you said the kids make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheena. And yeah, I think a "sleep never" would not go over so well with the parents. LOL

      Delete
  13. Hot baths with the delicious "sleep" scent bubble baths from Bath and Body Works do the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baths do the trick, sometimes. Others, I just think about how I have to scrub/clean the tub once I get out. LOL I am nuts Deb! Really, truly nuts.

      Delete
  14. How terrible. I used to sleep few hours a long time ago but now I just need all my 8 hours of sleep or I won't be functional at all. Not in the least. I think there are natural remedies for that. I used to drink special relaxing teas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried some herbal teas. And a couple of other "natural" sleep aids. But I hate taking meds. I will if the insomnia continues on for too long though.

      Delete
  15. Wow that's a lot of kids in a short period of time! How you kept your sanity with all of those babies is beyond me.

    I think college has thrown off my sleep schedule. I've had many late nights thanks to my classes. I can only hope that a normal sleep schedule happens someday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. College can do that to you too. I hope you catch up on lots of rest this summer break!

      Delete
  16. I don't have kids, but I've suffered from insomnia all my life, so I feel your pain. It can be so frustrating to want to sleep, and even feel exhausted enough to sleep, but still just...can't sleep. The Sandman has a vendetta against some of us, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Heather! Sorry to hear you suffer from it as well. It's made me quite crabby at times. And a little slow on the up-take. I swear when I actually get sleep, my IQ rockets up. Without it, it goes way, way down.

      Delete
  17. I think once a woman becomes a mother, she at a minimum becomes a "light" sleeper. Until recently, I've always been the type that could fall asleep on command during an earthquake. Yes, I've counted my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! New moms also suddenly acquire what I like to call, "super hearing". If there was even the slightest change of the babies breath, I could hear it. And go running. LOL

      Delete
  18. I was up with my kids as much if not more than my wife. Although I have always had insomnia so I am used to working on very few hours of sleep. I guess me writing this at 6 in the morning knowing I have to be up in a few hours proves my point, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Brandon! You should check some of the times on my blog posts. You can tell which ones I did while practically sleep walking. The content is your first clue.

      And what a guy! Getting up in the night even more times than your wife- that is a rare man indeed!! She is a lucky woman to have you, for sure.

      Delete
  19. Motherhood is a great sleep killer isn't it?! I remember night feeds with my youngest, and thank the stars oldest was old enough to settle himself at the time; I can hardly imagine have three little ones in the night. Hats of to you for managing it so seemingly expertly.

    When I was younger BK, I could pull all nighters too, and only ever got drawn on once! Ah to be young and carefree again! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still fumbling my way through motherhood, for sure. But that lack of sleep was my first real eye-opener as to how my life was about to change forever :) I thought I knew what tired was, BK. Boy was I wrong!! LOL

      Delete