About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 27, 2013

I'm Baaack!

I'm baaack! Did ya miss me? I sure missed you! SO, so, very much has been happening over here at the Bird's Nest it's going to take me a couple of posts to cover it all.  I can't wait to see what's been happening with you. Please bear with me as I work my way through the ole blog roll and catch up with everyone. If I somehow miss you, know it is not intentional and I'd appreciate it if you'd pop in and let me know. Feel free to use all caps and lots of exclamation marks (which is the equivalent of shouting) to really get my attention. Try something  like this, "HEY JAYBIRD YOU DIM-WITTED, NEAR-SIGHTED TWIT, YOU MISSED ME!!!!!!!" I don't think I could miss that :)


Couldn't resist this mamma bird shot on a monument in Gettysburg! So cool.
On Sunday, The Husband and I decided to take the girls to Gettysburg, PA for a few days, in honor of the 150th anniversary of the battle. We went a week early, the true anniversary fun doesn't really commence until July 1. But they are expecting crowds in excess of 200,000 during that time and this Bird doesn't do well with those kind of  crowds. Even though most of the festivities didn't begin yet, the small town of Gettysburg and surrounding area was already pretty darn packed. It's close to impossible to find a parking space now; I have no idea how they are going to accommodate all of those people next week!

The Husband was in full paparazzi mode and took -get this- a whopping 850 pictures!! 8-5-0 freaking pictures! Although it was supremely hot, humid and painful to keep stopping and waiting for him to take the "perfect" shot, I have to admit it was worth it. Some of the pictures he  captured of the monuments and surrounding countryside are simply breathtaking. Of course, there are plenty he took of me I'd like to burn in a massive pyre.  Yep, my picture taking curse lives on. You'd think out of the hundreds of pictures he took at least a handful that had me in them would come out decent.  No such luck. I think there are only a select few where my eyes aren't wonky or closed. Welcome to my life. Oh well. I will share them anyway, even the bad ones, just because I have given up long ago on looking good in the pictures I post. :)

Before I get into all of the stuff I have been up to I just wanted to take a minute to plug The Armchair Squid's Cephalopod Coffeehouse, which is a ton of fun. The next meeting is scheduled for this Friday June 28th. We meet once a month to discuss the best book you've read during that time period. Best part, zero pressure here. You can choose whatever book or genre you'd like to discuss. Hope to see some of you sign up! For more info, here's the code for the link list:http://www.simply-linked.com/listwidget.aspx?l=A199C3EC-8B7C-4BE1-BA4B-E930EED810F0

How cute is the smile on my 6th grade graduate? Love her.
OK, on to some of the fun stuff that's been going on over here! On, June 20th, Faith graduated from 6th grade. And, holy moly did that kid leave on a high note!! For those of you who read my Field Day post, here's where I get my vindication. This is where I sit back and watch my daughter shine like a diamond.  So, screw you Field Day and all of the suckidy, suck, suck that you represent for me, because Faith was brilliant at graduation. She was a bit embarrassed at having won so much, but I was, of course, proud as a peacock, bawling like a baby and clapping and cheering like a lunatic. Faith works her butt off and puts her all into her work. And guess what? Best news ever. We just received word this morning- Faith was accepted into the STAR*GATE (gifted and talented) program she interviewed for!!!  We are beyond STOKED. 

**This is what Faith won at graduation** (See footnote at bottom)
1.  $100.00 and a medal for Excellence in History- she  took 1st place for writing the best American History DAR essay (Daughters of the American Revolution)
2. $50.00 and a medal from the Rotary Club for Achieving Highest Honors
3.1st place in the Spelling Bee for school
4.Highest Writing Achievement Award
5. Highest Reading Achievement Award
6.Highest Class Average Award
7. Outstanding Achievement in Art Award
8.L.E.A.D. Essay Contest Winner! (t-shirt and gift card for $15.00 to our local ice cream parlour)
9.A.D.P.(advanced placement) Award for Academic Achievement and Dream House Project
10. Certificate of Academic Achievement for making Honor Roll, every marking period, for every year she attended Elementary School.


Grandma Bird, Faith and Grandpa Bird so proud of her!

This is what ugly, red-eyed, make-up smeared, booger crying Jaybird looks like  :)

**Sorry about the bragging-if you think it's obnoxious, please know that this is coming from Jaybird, who spent most of her early education daydreaming in the remedial math trailer. The fact that I have such talented kids, throws me for a loop. So please, don't hate, join in the happy dancing and celebrating with little ole remedial me.

21 comments:

  1. Holy Crap! A huge congrats to your daughter...all that and she's a little cutie, to boot :)

    Best wishes along her education path and I'm looking forward to seeing some of those Gettysburg pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mark. We are happy dancing over here. Gettysburg pics to follow; most likely on Monday. Too busy on the weekend. TTY soon!

      Delete
  2. Awesome congrats Faith. Also that is a lot of pictures, I don't think any picture of me looks good either, just have let them go lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandon!! Thanks so much. 850 pictures. Really over the top. I wanted to scream at a couple of points during the day, especially knowing none of those pictures were going to come out good of me. LOL

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Vanessa! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Faith scored! Congratulations to your daughter.
    You have a lot of photos to go through.
    And I have another blogging buddy who is part of the reenactment in Gettysburg this weekend. 200,000 just in performers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Alex it was very crowded and tons of people were already there. I really don't do well with crowds. Can't even imagine what it's going to be like next week. I spoke to a lot of shop owners (you know me I can't help myself from making new friends) and they told me they are really worried. They have no contingency plans for extra parking or toilets and just started talking about provided them this week. They must be nuts!!

      Thanks for the congrats. I'll pass it along to Faith.

      Delete
  5. Go Faith!!!! That is so awesome. What a great girl--you should be proud...and proud to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was such a hot mess Ilima!! Every time they called her name I would break down all over again. Even my Dad cried. And he's a rock! I just couldn't believe it. I know she works hard but I didn't realize how much she was going to win. We were all flabbergasted.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations Faith! That's so awesome! Lots to be proud of. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RACH!! How are you? Hope all is well in your world.

      Thanks for the congrats. I'll tell Miss Faith. She was embarrassed. Of course, that might have something to do with her mom yelling like a lunatic. He he he.

      Delete
    2. Hi! I emailed you, did you get it?

      Delete
  7. Wow, congrats to Faith! That's amazing. Also, glad to hear she got into the STAR*GATE program, after all the work she put into it!

    I can totally relate to your picture-taking curse, since I have one, too! And whoa, 850 is a lot of pictures. I can never imagine taking that many, but I do know some people where that amount would be diddlysquat for them and their cameras, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heath!! I will tell Faith you said Congrats. She is such an amazing kid. I was so very proud of her. Could not contain myself.

      Those damn pictures! I swear to you my eyes were closed in 840 of them. Stupid picture taking curse. I honestly don't think I'm as ugly as the pictures. At least I hope I'm not, LOL!!!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to Faith for all of her awards!

    I have a picture taking curse as well - I've realised that the only person who can take a good photo of me is my youngest son :-)

    Looking forward to seeing ALL 850 photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annalisa!!

      I don't think I'll post even half of those pictures, LOL but I will try to post the best of them. (Which aren't all that many of me, of course. Ha.) Look for them on Monday- I'm going to be posting them then.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to your daughter - brag away. It's a parent's prerogative (had to check the spelling on that word).

    Thanks for plugging the Coffeehouse, too. I look forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Squid- no problem. I hope I bring a lot more traffic to your sight.

      Prerogative. Yeah, that's a hard one!! I feel like I shouldn't brag but I am just so very proud of her and all that she's accomplished. Of course, I also quick to bring up and talk about all of my kids shortcomings, so maybe that evens it out! LOL

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh, I have the biggest grin reading this. Wow Faith! What a truly amazing kid and you have every reason to be proud. I'm so glad she got into that program, too. I knew she would, but what a relief to finally hear. I can't wait to see what this kiddo does with her life :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Congrats Faith!!! Brag away, proud mom!

    ReplyDelete