About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, June 14, 2013

Gifted and Talented

**These next two weeks mark the end of the school year for my girls and  are jam packed with activities, field trips and all kinds of interesting  goings on. All of which have been driving me crazy keeping me very busy! I'm so sorry if you haven't received a comment from me- I will try to catch up with everyone as soon as I can. I thought it might be fun if I  attempted to  keep everyone updated by posting about some of the things I've been busy doing.

My daughter Faith is graduating from elementary school this year (waaaa!)  and was invited by the Junior High  to apply for an elite academic program. The process is very selective and highly competitive. My daughter, being a total perfectionist and a highly competitive kid in general, was  all about this.
Faith on a recent class trip to D.C.
 
As soon as she learned she was eligible, Faith got to work on her application. She spent HOURS, every day, for weeks working on it.  Whenever The Husband or I asked if we could see what she was doing, she told us to go away. "Don't worry, I got this."  She replied, every time.  The applicants were asked to get as creative as possible with their portfolios. Faith took this challenge to heart. The candidates must find a way to make themselves stand out and their applications must be really outstanding for them to get noticed. All kinds of things are taken into consideration- grades, standardized test scores, teacher recommendations, references, work samples, writing samples and anything else that sets you apart. And this is just Phase One of  the process! When she was all finished, Faith finally showed us her application. The Husband and I were impressed by what that kid created. It was time to sit and wait to see if it impressed the panel as much as it impressed us. 

Last week, the Vice Principle finally phoned and told me they accepted Faith's application- she had successfully passed through Phase One! Woot, woot!  We were asked to bring Faith in for Phase Two, which would consist of  cognitive testing, some group activities and a personal interview. Faith was super stoked, dancing all around the house, pulling clothes out of her closet to put together something appropriate to wear to her interview...meanwhile, I was starting to sweat. This was getting real.

Driving to the interview, I couldn't believe how nervous I was. My hands were shaking and my mouth was all dry. Faith was nervous too, but only a little. She told me she was worried about the timed testing, but not the interview. She felt confident in her ability to adequately articulate the answer to any of their questions but she was afraid she was going to have to rush through some of the math, and in her haste would get a problem wrong.

The Vice Principal greeted us at the door and congratulated all the children. She told us they should be very proud of themselves to have made it to Phase Two. Only 30 out of the 50 that applied, made it on to Phase Two.( I'm not sure how many spots are actually available, but I do know this, last year only 17  made it into the final program.) At this point, I couldn't help looking around the room in order to size up Faith's  competition. I swear it was like looking at the middle school version of  The Big Bang Theory. There were Sheldons everywhere! I've never seen so many little nerds gathered in one place, outside of Comic-Con. No doubt the competition here is fierce, and at that point, the parents were all asked to leave.

Knowing how important academic excellence is to Faith- I really want her to get in. That being said, I honestly only want this if it's what's truly best for her. It's her nature to obsess about her work and as her mom I'm not sure if this program is going to push her too hard. On the other hand, maybe that competitive nature of hers is a good thing and she will excel! I really don't know if she is going to make it. Faith did everything in her power to impress the panel and it's out of our hands. Now, we sit and wait once again, hoping for that phone to ring.  Ring stupid phone! Ring!

25 comments:

  1. You made me laugh with the little Sheldon's remark. I'll keep talons crossed for the phone to ring from very impressed panel. Let us know how it goes! Dragon hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al! I am still waiting...maybe it's not going to happen. Either way, I'm still proud of her.

      Delete
  2. I hope Faith hears good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! Thanks so much-fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter! She worked hard for that spot. Now hope the good news continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- she is one of the hardest working kids I know! She puts her all into her school work, so I hope it works out for the best here.

      Delete
  4. Good luck you guys! It's super exciting that she made it this far! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rach! Oy. I'm dying. I just want to know, one way or the other.

      Delete
  5. Over Achievers, Unite! I am sure Faith will make the cut! She has the right stuff. Good luck to her parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzan! She is definitely an over-achiever and throws herself deep into everything she does. My fingers are crossed. Here's hoping we find out soon. The waiting game is killing me.

      Delete
  6. What an amazing girl! No matter what happens, that won't change. I know it's stress-making stuff, though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you!! Yes, the stress is killing me. Thankfully she is stress-free right now, knowing she did everything in her power she could, to make it in. Now we wait. UGH.

      Delete
  7. I wish her the best of luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! We need all the luck we can get.

      Delete
  8. Wishing Faith luck, but I'm thinking she crushed it, and that school will beg for her to grace them with her genuineness! And I so feel your pain, Jaybird! While I love having my kiddo home for summer, she sometimes drives me a little insane. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping she crushed it Celeste! There is some very stiff competition. But she is a remarkable kid, that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. Good luck to Faith - she sounds cool, calm and very mature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith is remarkably mature for her age and looks it; I marveled at how young the boys all looked, even though they are the same age. LOL

      Delete
  10. Ring stupid phone!! If it doesn't, then they are crazy, just sayin' :) I don't think I ever would have had the confidence to do something like this as a kid, so bravo to Faith for even applying to begin with.

    And no worries about the commenting...as you can see, I'm woefully behind, too! It's so hard to find the time right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so behind K!! I am trying to read back posts and comment when I can. But things are so cray to the cray right now. I have no time for anything. But I hate to loose touch with everyone here.

      Delete
  11. Congrats to Faith for passing Phase One! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather- thanks so much!!! She and I both appreciate that. Here's hoping we hear from them real soon. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens, either way.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A room full of little nerdy Sheldons. That is hilarious. And also a bit horrifying. I hope your daughter gets through to the next phase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad, but so true! There was also this Asian kid who was so focused and serious; she looked like she was ready to take on the world. Her parents frightened the hell out of me. They kept barking angry commands at her in what I think was Chinese- not sure what they were saying, but holy crap they were SCARY!

      Delete