About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 17, 2013

Field Day

Over the next two weeks, things at the Bird's Nest are really jam packed full of activity.  My presence in the blog-o-sphere may be a little spotty.  I apologize if you have not received the usual amount of comments, from me. I am trying to pop in as much as I can, and thought it would be fun if I posted about some of the stuff that's been keeping me busy- So Far, I posted about Living History and Gifted and Talented. Today's post is all about Field Day.

I  look forward to Field Day at my kids school about as much as I look forward to getting a root canal without Novocaine.  Every year, it's always the same. Hot, humid and buggy. The air swirling with dust, dirt and ripe with the smell of sweaty pits...not exactly my cup of tea.  There is never anywhere for this old lady to cop a squat that's safe from fly balls or the blaring sun. Besides the less than stellar setting, my kids are not gifted athletes and it pains me greatly to sit idly by and watch them get pummeled. But bless their little hearts, even though they lack natural athleticism, they absolutely love Field Day and unlike me, look forward to it, year after year.

When I say my girls lack natural athleticism, I am not being modest on their behalves, I am being truthful. I take full responsibility here; it is I who lacks the prolific sports genes. I had really hoped they would inherit their father's talent and ability and not mine, but that didn't happen. Oh, my girls are such troopers too! They refuse to give up and always try their best. But to no avail. We have long since come to terms with the fact they will never be stellar athletes. My girls are very talented in other areas and The Husband and I are very proud of them. No matter what, they always have our unfailing support. 

So, off I went, ready to lend them that support, despite the hot sun, bugs, dirt and my own overall lack of enthusiasm. After bumbling my way over to the field, (almost tripping on an errant soccer ball along the way I told you they get it from me!) I scanned the horizon in an attempt to locate my girls. My eyes quickly zeroed in and found Farrah. It's never too hard to find her. She is the biggest kid in her class. She is also, by far, the strongest. It looked  like this year the boys on her team finally conceded this point and placed Farrah in the anchor position for tug-o-war. She grabbed that rope, planted her feet firmly on the ground and readied herself. When the whistle blew Farrah rose to the challenge and pulled with all of her might. It didn't take long before the kids on the other side toppled, hard. Sweet victory! It was nice for her to be able to experience a win and revel in her teams adoration for once. All in all, for daughter #2  Field Day had gotten off to a rare, wonderful start.  I wondered, could this year be different? Did I dare to hope for a Field Day miracle- where my nonathletic girls might be able to enjoy victory for a change?

Those hopeful thoughts were squashed as soon as my eyes landed on my oldest. Again, it didn't take me long to spot her. It was a sad but familiar sight that greeted me. My daughter Faith's cute little tush waving back and forth in the air, as she failed to make it up and over the top of the obstacle course wall. She unsuccessfully tried to pull herself up at least a dozen more times before she finally  made it over. But despite her struggles, she never gave up. And I have to give her props for that. Many kids who didn't make it over the first time would have just thrown in the towel. Not  Faith; she was truly determined to make it, no matter how long it took. Of course, that delay cost her team precious time and they lost spectacularly. 

Last but not least, I walked up and down the field in search of my youngest, to see how she fared this Field Day. Our school and field are not very big, yet my eyes must have swept back and forth at least a dozen times and I still couldn't place her. I changed tactics and instead of looking for her, I searched  for her classmates. I found the Third Graders right away. There were all gathered around something.  Ah, it was a crumpled form on the ground, clutching an ankle. I knew instantly in my mother's heart that form in the dirt, belonged to me. I rushed over and sure enough, it was Francesca, crying her little eyes out.

I am extremely grateful Francesca's ankle is only sprained, not broken. But the image and sounds of my poor uncoordinated kid, lying on the ground crying will haunt my thoughts and successfully provide me with one more reason to dread attending Field Day, once again, next year.

36 comments:

  1. Awww...glad your daughter's ankle wasn't broken and hope she recovers soon.

    It sound like that even though they're not the most athletically gifted kids out there, they do have the most important thing down.....they get out there and give it their all.

    That's an important lesson in life, in general, and will serve them well.

    Pop in, when you can, and try not to keep too busy :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark- They try so hard! I feel so bad for them. I really do. When I realized what a total dork I was, I totally gave up on sports. So I do give them tons of credit for still trying. Who knows? Maybe one day, something will click and they may even succeed.

      Delete
  2. Glad she wasn't seriously injured. The whole day sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I loathe stupid Field Day. It was awful, and I am not much of a sports enthusiast myself, so it is hard to muster up the cheer for it. Then, to see your kids give their all, and get hurt, ugh. Not fun. :(

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Poor thing. :( Glad to hear it wasn't broken, but that still stinks. Hopefully she heals up fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to go to the mall to buy Faith a dress for graduation. Frankie couldn't walk. So we rented a wheel chair. Oh my gosh. What a riot. That kid was nuts! Doing wheelies and going too fast. I had to shut her down. LOL She has SUCH a great attitude, unlike her mother :)

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear they love it regardless of their successes! I used to hate sports day (I'm guessing it's the same thing) - I never won anything and didn't enjoy trying! Great post. Hope Francesca's ankle is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda!! Oh my gosh how I hated sports and gym and Field Day. I almost always got hit with the stupid ball. It brings back such bad memories of all my sports failures- I am so happy that my girls have a great attitude and keep on trying! I sure as heck never did. LOL

      Delete
  5. Aww! I'm glad her ankle isn't broken, but a sprain is just as bad. I loved field day as a kid, but I imagine my parents didn't love it at all, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ash! Good to hear from you. I'm so relieved because it's just three days away from summer vacation. A sprain is bad, but a break? Ugh. We live at the beach all summer long and casts don't do well in the ocean! Glad we didn't need one.

      I really wish I had as good of an attitude as my girls do. I just stand there like an idiot hating! LOL

      Delete
  6. I always liked field day, though I don't think I did too terrible despite being a kind of wimpy kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Adam! I was a wimpy kid. And I'm a wimpy adult. That's for sure! I never did well at sports. My poor kids try so hard. They do better than I did, but that's not saying much, :)

      Delete
  7. I would think Field Day is much more fun for kids than parents. I'm glad her ankle wasn't broken, and it sounds like you've done an excellent job raising your kids, so they don't give up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! Thanks so much. And yeah, thankfully, they don't give up as easily as me. Which I am VERY grateful for. They keep at it, and I give them mad props for that.

      Delete
  8. Blah!!!! I'm with you, Jaybird:When it comes to sports, I'm like a bull in a china cabinet! Gotta give your sweet babies and E for effort! Who knows, that athletic gene just might kick in next year! Fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I suck so hard at sports it's ridiculous! It's no coincidence I turned to hobbies as sedentary as writing and reading, LOL. But I am very proud that my girls keep at it, even though they are not the best. God Bless their little hearts, they really do try. Fingers crossed they improve at something because of it!

      Delete
  9. Sorry your youngest got hurt but your older daughters are true troopers. Great that you went to see them participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls are troopers, for sure! I am a really just a whiny, complaining old lady who stands there on the side lines, hating. I know I'm awful but I can't seem to help myself. I'm definitely guilty of having a very bad attitude towards sports. Soccer moms freak me out. I don't understand how they think it's fun to sit on the sidelines and watch games all weekend long- I have friends who just love doing it. But that will never be my idea of fun. Maybe if my kids were star athletes, I might feel different? Nah, I'd still hate sitting on the field, in the dirt and heat. LOL

      Delete
  10. I hurt my ankle at field day when I was younger too! I swear, if it's not that, it's bug bites, sun burns, and dehydration. Fun, fun, fun! :) I'm glad your daughter is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em! Oh, it's so awful. I have bites all over me right now from the other day. I'm so miserable and such a whiny baby, every single year, when it comes to Field Day! I'm glad my girls are tougher and have a much better attitude than me! LOL

      Delete
  11. Ohhh... your sweet little girls!!! Bless their hearts! And SO SAD about the ankle. Oh the joys of field day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate, hate, hate that Field Day. Can't they come up with a "Let's read on the field day?" LOL

      Delete
  12. I have no natural athleticism. I'm sure if I had kids or ever decided to reproduce, they would be similarly cursed. That's just the truth of it. But I have hope that my kids would be smart at least. But yeah, it seems that in all the years going forward to adulthood, that the athletes get all the attention and adoration. What you need for a good field day is a friend to go along with you. That could make the day funner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank the Lord my girls are all smart and talented in other areas. They are math-letes and rock all of the Science Fairs, Young Author Conferences and spelling bees. For that, I am truly grateful. I do, however, feel really bad for not having any athletic talent to pass on.

      None of my friends want to come with me to Field Day either! I asked one of my gay besties to come with and he was like, "Field Day? Uh, hell no. Big pass sweetie!" LOL

      Delete
  13. :( Poor thing. I have one child who is master in the water but hopeless on land. He keeps trying though. Your girls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls are awesome swimmers! They are all SCUBA certified and swim like fish. It's those stupid Field Day games that kill them, and me. LOL

      Delete
  14. It's so funny what you said about your kids athleticism. I'm very clumsy, but my husband is a super athlete- and thankfully two of my three kids inherited his side of the gene pool. To quote my sister- Dave, my husband, is the Diana to our royal family. The rest of us just sit and watch and try not to hurt ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's a great line! Dave is the Diana to your royal family.

      I feel bad they didn't inherit my husband's abilities when it comes to organized sports. But they did inherit his love of the water, hiking and bike riding. That counts, right?

      Delete
  15. Sorry to hear about your daughter's ankle. Poor kid!

    I, too, have accepted the fact that my daughter will never be a star athlete. Of course, I never was either - enthusiastic participant, to be sure, but never particularly good at sports. The arts are her thing, just as they were for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arts are huge in my house too. Thank God for other interests because sports are just not the #1 thing on my list. I don't think I could relate or know what to do with a jocky kid, LOL

      Delete
  16. I hope she's feeling better. That is a bummer, not a good way to start off the summer.

    When my youngest hit the fourth grade and it was the last year for picnics, I shamelessly admit it was one milestone I did get the least bit teary eyed over crossing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a good way to start summer, at all. I had a lot of walking trips planned for us. My girls love to hike too, which has to go on the back burner for a while. Boo.

      And I will not lament leaving Field Day behind either. NOT, at all. LOL

      Delete
  17. Aw :(

    I used to love field day! Even if you aren't athletic it's at least enjoyable because there's no class :D

    Hope the little one feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls really enjoy it, even though they suck at it. I've often wondered why. But they really look forward to it when it comes around every year, (unlike me). LOL

      Delete
  18. I'm extremely nonathletic, too, so I can relate to this far too well. Field Day was always a day of torture for me back when I was in school. That really sucks about your daughter's ankle! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. Field Day was always torture for me too. And gym, dear Lord, gym class was the bane of my existence!

      Delete