About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

The Cephalopod Coffeehouse

Hey all! Sorry I have been out of commission lately, but this Bird has a LOT going on. When I have a chance, I will post more about that later. But now I am very happy to be participating in The Armchair Squid 's first meeting of the Cephalopod Coffeehouse. Go grab a latte or a cuppa or whatever floats your boat because we're here to hang out and chat about our favorite book we read this month! If you are interested in joining, you can go check out the list and sign up over at the Squid's blog..

For me, the best book I read this month was a sequel. It was Dark Triumph, by Robin LeFevers and it was awesome. Dark Triumph is Book II in the Fair Assassin series. I loved reading this sequel for a number of reasons, the first being that our introduction to the main character Sybella  happens in book one, Grave Mercy.  Sybella shows up at a convent in the middle of the night, stark raving mad. But the nuns of Saint Mortain and their charges are not what you expect. There will be no coddling, no forgiveness preached or kindness taught to her there. Nope, the Good Sisters at Saint Mortain serve Lord Death. They are responsible for teaching all the young girls who enter their order the art of  killing and seduction. The Sisters entice the girls into joining by promising to provide them with the means and the opportunity to exact revenge against the men who have wronged them.

Sybella's unpredictable nature and the haunting, tormented past that led her to the steps of Saint Mortain, is expertly revealed page by page in Dark Triumph. Sybella's story makes a very interesting read. I found myself not able to put this book down. Equally horrified at finding out what she lived through and what she has endured, as well as  intrigued at what her present situation would bring, I was compelled to finish this book in two days!

This book is full of  twists and turns, action, a broad spectrum of human emotion, romance, intrigue and kept my interest from page one straight through to the end.  It could very easily be a stand alone, but I  highly recommend reading Grave Mercy first- either way you can't go wrong with this series.

And now, (because I am the WORST Sunday school teacher ever) but mostly because I promised my pal  Melanie from Sporkin' on Down the Road, please behold The World's Most Phallic-shaped Water bottle Ever Invented, courtesy of the American Heart Association. Hope it makes you laugh as much as it made me! Happy Friday Everyone!!

38 comments:

  1. I think someone designed it that way on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think so too Alex!! I couldn't believe it when my girls brought this home as a "prize" for participating in a jump-rope contest to benefit the American Heart Association. Who made the decision to make the tip purple? Come on!!! It's ridiculous.

      Delete
  2. Oi. Did they make it that shape on purpose? I have A LOT of comments floatin' through my head about sucking on that water bottle, but I shall resist. ;)
    Sounds like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what they were thinking! Someone was either messing around or was just straight up stupid.

      I think you would enjoy reading Dark Triumph because you are already a fan of Lord Death- this book has a very cool concept too.

      Delete
  3. Before I read your post, the water bottle assailed me. I wondered what had happened to Jaybird. Now I am relieved. Very creative marketing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL- I'm sorry Susan! It is offensive isn't it? Lord have mercy that thing just kills me every time I look at it!

      Delete
  4. That water bottle just made me stare. Dark Triumph sounds like a fabulous and dark read. Two days huh? Must have been good. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That water bottle is absolutely ridiculous, right? Glad I'm not the only one who recognizes that.

      And I LOVED Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph. When I love a book I have a hard time putting it down. Plus, I'm a very fast reader!

      Delete
  5. That is indeed an interesting design for a water bottle. How curious. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al- yeah- it's pretty suspicious to me. Hope you enjoyed your weekend!

      Delete
  6. It looks like it was designed by the same people who did the little mermaid poster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or perhaps the Washington Monument? LOL

      That beautiful water bottle was the "prize" my girls won for taking part in an American Heart Association jump-rope for charity. I still can't believe that's what they handed out. The purple tip is what pushed me over the edge. I couldn't stop laughing. And they all looked at me like I'm nuts! Come on, really? There is no way I was the only one thinking those thoughts. I guess I'm just the only one brave/stupid enough to verbalize her thoughts...

      Thanks for stopping in and commenting Michael!!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting series and I might just have to pick the first book up. Great review and, yeah, that water bottle just doesn't look right!

    Have a great weekend, Mrs. Bird :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Buddy! The first book was awesome too. I love that series.

      I knew if I posted the picture, someone out there would have to agree with me about the absurdity of that water bottle. Come on! Really? Who designed that? Beavis and Butthead?

      Delete
  8. Hey there, jaybird! There was a typo in the link you submitted which I have now fixed. Hopefully more folks will be stopping by soon.

    Thanks so much for participating. Your book sounds like a lot of fun. The water bottle's a riot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Squid! Thanks so much for fixing the typo. I loved doing this book review! Can't wait to next month.

      Delete
  9. I came for the book review but I lingered on the water bottle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MOCK- Yeah. I spent a lot of time contemplating who in the heck designed that water bottle for the American Heart Association. Because that's who distributed it at my kids' school. What a joke. I could not stop laughing.

      Delete
  10. Does one have to read the first book to appreciate the sequel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laoch- No! It can be read as a stand alone. But I have to say I loved the first book just as much as the second. Didn't think I would like either but was pleasantly surprised by both. Thanks so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  11. It can be way too easy for sequels to be disappointing sometimes, so I'm glad to hear this book didn't let you down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES- I totally agree. But that was not the case here. I loved the second just as much as the first. I'm looking forward to more in this series, for sure!!

      Delete
  12. Wow, that's an interesting water bottle... ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep- the picture is a bit blurry, because I couldn't stop laughing long enough to snap it! Every time I look at that stupid water bottle, I start laughing all over again, like an idiot. It's just so flipping ridiculous, I can't stop myself from cracking up. :)

      Delete
  13. I wonder who designed that water bottle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel!! Those water bottles were from the American Heart Association! They were a "prize" given to my girls for participating in a charity event! I still can't believe that they handed them out with a straight face. I was like, "You're kidding right? Is this is some kind of joke?" They all acted like I was the crazy one!

      Delete
  14. I'm on the lookout for new reads. I might have to check out that Fair Assassin series.

    Also, I don't think I could drink from that bottle without giggling. That, and the mental image of drinking it in front of someone and making them extremely uncomfortable pleases me more than you could know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. B- it's the damn purple tip on that water bottle that gets me every time! And then I can't stop laughing, all over again. I guess I have the sense of humor of a middle schooler, but come on! That is just flat out ridiculous. And the worst part, I'm the only mom who laughed. No one else even blinked. So then I'm thinking-what's wrong with me? I CAN'T be the only one who sees it as a phallic symbol?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um, I'm thinking that the American Heart Assoc. got a nice discount for those phallic water bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they got something out of it! I mean, what the heck? Who designed them?

      Delete
  17. Hope whatever's been going on at The Bird's Nest is nothing bad, and that you and the family are all well. :D

    The Fair Assassin series sounds awesome, I'll have to check it out.

    Oh my, that is an interesting water bottle! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Clare!! I miss you-glad to see you blogging again. :) Thanks so much for asking, everyone here is healthy and good, just super-duper busy. Faith is about to graduate from 6th grade, and I am officially about to become a mother of a middle schooler. ARGH. Not sure how that happened so quickly, but whoop here it is. Summer will bring a respite (I hope) to all of the activities and business. Then, hopefully, I can breathe again.

      Delete
  18. Thanks. You got me busted. My mother calls and well sorta sometimes repeats stories, so I read blogs as she talks and I got to the freaking picture of the water bottle and laughed my @$$ off and had to come clean with my mother!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! Sorry bout that Elizabeth. My mom happened to be here the day the water bottle came home. When I showed it to her, she laughed almost as hard as I did. Thank God she has a good sense of humor.

      Delete
  19. been hearing a lot of good things about Robin LaFevers. I'll have to check her books out!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nutshell- you should check her out. I found LaFevers books to be very well written and interesting. I hope you would enjoy them too!

      Delete
  20. Good giggle at waterbottle. We had a walk for breast cancer in Brisbane and the waterbottles had pink sip lids that looked just like nipples (although I think that was intentional)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I could see it with the Breast Cancer, pink nipples kind of meshes with the theme. But the American Heart Association? What's the phallic connection there? LOL I still can't believe that's the prize they handed out, and that I was the only one laughing!

      Delete