About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Reflections on A-Z


Every night at dinner, I force  very politely ask my kids to tell  The Husband and I what the best and worst parts of their days were. I decided to attack this reflections post the same way.

Best Part of the A-Z Challenge:

1. I discovered a lot of cool new blogs.
2. I met a lot of awesome new bloggers.
3. New followers!  This rarely happens over here. Honestly took me close to two years to get three followers. Two of which were related to me, the third was me.
4. I realized I have a ton of random shiz to spout on and on about everyday. More than I thought possible. (Hmm, probably why I find it hard to gain followers)
5. Unlike the majority of  bloggers, I believe not having a theme actually worked in my favor, instead of against me. Not being tied down to one specific topic made it much easier for me to keep going. (or maybe that's just my ADD coming into play)
6. There were some really cool themes out there and I learned a lot of really interesting things from them. I even collected some really fantastic recipes. 
7. I received many wonderful comments/positive feedback  about my writing that made me ridiculously happy.
8. Closely related to #7  was how touching I found it to see  my blogging friends who  dropped by and commented every day. (Some weren't even  participating in A-Z Challenge. They just wanted to lend their support- Like Faraway Eyes and A Beer for The Shower. So great big Thank You for that!!)
9. I realized I can multi-task like a damn champion!
10. I finished.

Worst Part of the A-Z Challenge:

1. Wish I had the time to get around and visit more new blogs than I  did. I shot for five a day and still feel like that was just a drop in the hat.
2. I accomplished absolutely zip on any of my revisions or WIPs.
3. Dirty dishes sat in my sink every day for the entire month of April.
4. My poor CPs think I fell off the face of the earth.
5. I realized no matter how hard I tried, I will never be able to get to the bottom of that list!
6. Some days, because I was sick, tired and just overall crazy busy, I felt really overwhelmed.
7. My family had to eat a lot of take-out.


In the end, the good outweighed the bad. Overall, I found my first time doing the A-Z to be a positive learning experience that I am glad I challenged myself to.  How about you? Did you take the Challenge? Why or why not? Would  you do it again? Now- I'm off to do some dishes!

35 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I was too scared and lazy to even take the challenge so I commend all bloggers who did so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Girl! Last year I watched while everyone else did it, and I thought, next year, I'm doing this too. I had no idea how much of a challenge it was going to be! Very time consuming. But worth it in the end. Hope to see you jump in next year!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you! My house needs a shovel at this point. I loved the people I was able to connect with, so I'm sure I'll do it all over again, come next April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! As hard as it was, I also found it very fun and rewarding. I met a lot of great people, like you, and I am always thrilled when that happens.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that overall it was a GOOD experience. I didn't participate, but I had a great time following you and a few others. I did it last year and it really fried my brain. This year was way more fun, watching a reading along with everyone else, but no stress to be cute and clever. Ha!

    BTW -You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B- Thanks so much for all of your support! Your support and comments helped push me along when I felt like I was drowning. Seriously, thank you for providing the push I needed to forge ahead.

      I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. I did it last year and said I wouldn't again. But alas, peer pressure got me to participate again. I'm feeling kinda wiped out, but must admit it was fun tuning into your blog everyday not knowing what kind of craziness would ensue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I always bring the crazy.

      I'm glad you participated Ilima- you were always right there commenting and pushing me along too, just like Faraway. I'll tell you, that's what really made a huge difference to me. The month of April was hard, I even lost a very good friend a long the way, but the challenge was worth doing, to me.

      Delete
  5. Glad it was mostly a good experience! Yeah, it can kind of take over life for a month. I was trying to keep up with my regulars as well as those participating. Some days I did better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALEX- Holy crap! I have no idea how you do it. You have a bazillion followers and three times as many comments as me and it literally took me about an hour to answer every comment I received. Not that I'm complaining, I love comments. But it was definitely time consuming. You amaze me at what you accomplish every day. Plus, your wife must be ONE patient lady.

      Delete
  6. I think the best part was that you stuck it out and finished it. I really liked your 'non-theme of jaybird randomness'...it was very refreshing and, like Mr. Gump's box of chocolates, I never knew what I was going to get. :)

    This was one of the best of the bunch I tried to hit everyday, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! I love the Forrest Gump comparison!! Thank you so much Mark- you are too sweet. My crazy blog/posts are all over the place, like everything else in my life. People either love that or HATE it. LOL Glad you are one of the people who likes it! :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with a lot of your pors and cons... and with Mark, I looked forward to you posts and randomness! Randomness suits you just fine! It was my second year and I can't wait for next April.
    I made my kids do all the housework and we did a lot of "fend-for-yourself" nights when it came to dinner.
    Stay cool Jaybird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overheard my middle daughter, Farrah ask The Husband, "Is being ignored for the entire month of April what we can expect from now on?" LOL She is such a middle child.

      Thanks for always popping in and commenting Dani. You did an amazing job as a minion. You were everywhere! That could not have been easy.

      Delete
  8. I love your blog. Don't change a single random thing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Elizabeth!! You blog was one of the first I hit every day. I love trivia and loved challenging myself with your facts. It went much better if I waited until after my first cup of coffee, though, otherwise my brain wasn't in gear. After coffee, I did much better with the answers!! But it was always fun. I loved your theme. And your HJ references. That always boosts the points in my book! LOL

      Delete
  9. It sounds like we had similar experiences! I'm so glad I did it though. I, too, gained a ton of new followers (also a rarity on my blog) and found several new blogs to follow. I didn't think I had the kind of time management skills, but oh how I surprised myself. Now I'm SO ready to take on NaNo and to do A-Z again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I found you through the A-Z Sam! Your blog is so fun. I love to hear what your up to. I'm in next year too. But not with the NaNo. That makes me really nervous.

      Delete
  10. I agree with your pros and cons. Glad I participated, even though I felt like I was running in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan! Yes, some days I did feel like I was sitting on a stationary bike, spinning the wheels, going no where. But in the end, it was worth it. I'm glad I finished. It made me feel so good about myself.

      Delete
  11. I feel much the same as you, although I think having a theme helped me, only because I compare the A to Z to NaBloPoMo, and NaBloPoMo was so much harder for me, because I never knew what I was going to blog about. Having all my topics picked out ahead of time really helped me, even if it did get a bit old towards the end.

    I would definitely do it again, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what a NaBloPoMo is! It sounds painful.

      Yes, most sane people would do better with a theme. But as you know, this girl is not sane. I don't even pretend to be. My creative brain works much better if I give it free reign. Of course, that also means one day you'll get pure crap, and the next something somewhat decent. But never both two days in a row. LOL

      Delete
  12. My wips suffered as well so I feel for you. A-Z was wonderful and congrats for finishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheena! You were EVERYWHERE. I can't believe how many blogs you hit a day. You were like a crazy woman. I'm glad you participated. I looked forward to reading your snippets every day.

      UGH, my WIPS all went in the freezer during April! I'm trying to thaw some out right now. And get back in the flow. But it's hard. My brain is a bit blog-a-fried.

      Delete
  13. Glad to see the good outweighed the bad. That's the best we can hope for sometimes! I didn't participate in the A-to-Z challenge, although I am tempted to try it sometime in the future. Very impressed you were able to do this without a planned theme--I think I'd flail if I ever tried to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather! You are another one of the people who was always right there for me with a kind comment- I really appreciate that. Thank you so much.

      You and your cartoons would make a great addition to the A-Z theme. I would love to see that in the future, maybe next year? I'd really be interested in what your creative mind would come up with. xo

      Delete
  14. Excellent overview of the whole experience. Yours is one of the blogs I discovered and it is one of my new faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim!! I love finding and meeting new blogging friends. This challenge really did boost my follower numbers, and for that, I'm truly grateful.

      Delete
  15. Hey very nice blog!

    My site ... www.darmreinigung1a.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're always happy to lend our support. It's the least we can do while you're breaking your back making these posts happen. As for us, well, we're lucky to get two posts a week out. Most times I'm finishing up the last bit of artwork the morning I post. Yeah, flying by the seat of your ass is the best way to go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only way I know how to roll. Whenever I do plan something, those plans always get messed up!

      Delete
  17. Ha! Your list was fun, and I bet other Challengers felt the same way about most things. (My hubby and I would starve if it wasn't for take-out! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lexa- I'm lucky my daughter likes to cook. She took over a lot of the time while I was writing posts and commenting. She's a much better cook than I am and she's only 11! LOL

      Delete
  18. Well, my thanks to your ADD because it did indeed serve you well. And your numbers one and two is what it's all about. Great job!

    ReplyDelete