About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 24, 2013

Play Lists, Inspiring Oui or Non?

Happy Friday Everyone! (And Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all my fellow Americans) I don't know about you, but I am really looking forward to this three day weekend!

So, Play lists? Yes or No? What do you think? I am a huge fan, myself. I wouldn't dream of writing without  blasting  listening to music. Music goes hand in hand with just about everything I do in life. Come to think of it, I honestly don't know if I'm capable of driving without  the proper tuneage to ride along with me. And you can forget about cooking or baking, without me listening to my music, real loud.  The louder the better I always say! But this really pisses The Husband off.  He and I, of course, have opposite taste in music. 
 
Just like any good sitcom, The Husband knows full well I am going to go bananas but that doesn't seem to stop him from doing this time and time again. What does he do? Every time that rat bastard takes my car, he changes all my pre-sets to his crap stations! Oh yeah, The Husband and I have had all out battles over music.  Mostly because he wouldn't know good music if  it bit him on the ass cheeks. Sometimes, when I am cooking and I have my music blasting, he will sneak in the kitchen all stealthy like and grab the remote. Then he will hide somewhere close and hit the mute button, just to mess with me. I'm not sure what pleasure he derives from this because as soon as he does it I immediately turn the music back on. (Even louder than I had been playing it before) Yep, we really are that stupid and immature! But, I digress...(as usual).

Anyhow, recently I blogged about how frustrated I had become with my NA paranormal romance, Breaking Cardinale Rules. I was so stinking stymied and started to hate even looking at it anymore. It left me feeling like a total hack and after I vented my frustration in last month's IWSG post, I received many wonderful comments and advice to put it aside for awhile. I decided that would be best and placed my story on the back burner. But I am happy to announce, the minute I heard this Imagine Dragons song, Demons, a little glimmer of interest came trickling back. Their song and it's lyrics are a perfect fit for my WIP and I couldn't wait to add it to my play list.

So, I'm hereby officially naming Demons, my BCRs theme song.  And I hope listening to it over and over again will give me that final push I need to dig deep, pull back out my WIP and get to work on finishing my revisions. Who knows, maybe I'll take a swing at it over the long weekend!

Have a listen:


Playlists, oui or non? Do they inspire you or do you feel the need for silence while you are working? Does it drive you bat-crap crazy when someone messes with the pre-sets in your ride like it does  to Jaybird? What song are you listening to right now?  (FYI, right now I'm kicking it old school and listening to Sabotage, by the Beastie Boys.)

*Although I am sure this will morph into something else before my WIP is all said and done, here are the songs on my play list so far:
Demons- Imagine Dragons
Red Jumpsuit- Facedown
Rise  Against- Saviour
Fire Woman- The Cult
Zombie- The Cranberries
How's it Going To Be- Third Eye Blind
Somebody Told Me- The Killers
She Talks to Angels- The Black Crowes
My Heart is Broken-Evanescence
Hurt-Nine Inch Nails
Last Man Standing- People in Planes
Three Little Birds-Bob Marley
Back to Black- Amy Winehouse
All or Nothing- Pennywise
Little Talks – Monsters and Men
Hey Ladies- Beastie Boys
Flagpole Sitter-Harvey Danger
Toxic-Melanie Martinez
Scar Tissue- Red Hot Chile Peppers
She Will Be Loved- Maroon 5
I Will Possess Your Heart- Death Cab for Cutie
Jealousy- Good Charlotte
Chasing Cars-Snow Patrol
Jenny Was a Friend of Mine-The Killers
My Chick Bad- Ludacris (don't hate)
Switchfoot- Dark Horses Acoustic Version
Pardon Me- Incubus
Stuck on You-Meiko

 

 

39 comments:

  1. I don't make a playlist, but certain albums lend themselves well to scenes in my books.
    I like a few of your chosen bands, although mine tend to lean to the harder side of rock. Almost afraid to ask what kind of music your husband likes. I'm fortunate that my wife and I (mostly) agree on music.
    Glad you're rocking with your manuscript again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- he loves COUNTRY! I'd rather stick a pencil in my eye than listen to that twangy, depressing stuff. But he hates alternative and that's my favorite. Honestly, I really love all kinds of music, but country just makes me feel like a popped balloon.

      Delete
  2. We are music soulmates, Jaybird. Awesome list--I'm totally going to steal some of these songs, and I MUST have a playlist for every book. I listen to music constantly...I'll even throw on a pair of headphones to fall asleep if my husband is watching TV (the last thing I want is the MASH theme song in my head all night, lol). And yeah...my husband has no clue about good music. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my gosh- my husband is a MASH junkie too!!! That's hilarious your husband watches it as well. Maybe they are twinsies too!

      And feel free to steal away my friend! I swear as soon as I open my eyes, the first thing I do is turn my music on. LOL

      PS I can't wait to see what you have on your playlist for Remake!

      Delete
  3. Whilst I can relate to music while in the car or while cooking I much prefer to have silence when I am writing. We are all different I guess! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne- I know you are not alone, there are others I know that like silence. But me and silence, have never really gotten on well, LOL

      Delete
  4. Quite an interesting playlist you have there..."Fire Woman" is one of my favorite 'get up and go' songs, too :)

    Best of luck on your story and keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark- And yes, I realize it's quite a diverse list, but my story is paranormal, which lends itself to quite an eclectic mix of music!

      Delete
  5. Hey, just send me a copy of this and I'll be good-to-go! Love the Beastie Boys. I listen to them while at work cause they just have this - idk - funky beat that gets me moving. And now I'm singing "Hey Ladies" in my head. Love love love Chili Peppers and Nivana and I can't live without Live and Counting Crows. I'm really big into the 90's. Brings back some good memories. I also love me some Fever Ray "If I Had a Heart". That song helps me write dark parts of my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Another BB fan. They rock. I love alternative and am heavy into that, but I also like to listen to classic rock, jazz, reggae and some rap... Really depends on what kind of scene I'm writing or what mood I am in. My WIP is full of the darker side of the human psyche and demons, and since I tend to normally be up beat and positive, I needed a bit of musical inspiration to help tap into that dark side and make it believable.

    Thanks for commenting Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a inspiring song--it says so much and draws me in.

    When I write in an empty house, I like silence. Migraines have made "word retrieval" difficult at times. When my husband is here, I put on headphones and turn on old favorites like Phil Coulter's piano or Josh Groban singing Italian.

    Whatever you do, I enjoy your writing. You have some great words coming from your mind, combined with style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the migraines, I suffer from them quite frequently myself- and when I have one, I can't do anything but (get sick) and then lay down in a dark, quiet, cold room until it passes. Sometimes, my migraines take days to go away. SO miserable!@ I haven't found anything that works to take them away.

      And oh my word- you just made my day and my heart fill with joy! I'm blown away to hear that you enjoy my writing. Thanks ever so much Susan!

      Delete
  8. I love my music too. Especially in the car. Why do people want to talk? What's wrong with them?

    Your husband is very daring...changing those presets...gasp! That would be like me dog-earing my hub's comics. Mine will do the hide and work the remote though. He thinks it's hilarious because I'm a big enough twit to check all the connections and crap and watching me waste precious time is evidently hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah- my hubs thinks he's SO funny. But it drives me nuts and takes me so long to get my stations back! Needless to say, I don't like it when he takes my ride- thankfully, he prefers his own car and it doesn't happen very often.

      Delete
  9. I don't play music when I write but I do enjoy creating playlist. Some songs even inspire scenes in my writing. Sorry but I kind of get your husband's side, I'm a girl who sometimes likes to just sit in silence. And I mean just SIT in silence. But I do enjoy music too and when I'm ready to be into my music I don't want anyone bothering me. I have My Chick Bad on one of my playlist too. *grins* I love that you have Little Talks, that song is one of my faves. Great playlist Jay and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta have some Luda!! Ludacris is one of my fav rappers b/c has the best sense of humor Although he can get pretty crude, his cheeky lyrics always get me to laugh.

      Glad to hear you enjoy creating playlists too. I'd like to see what else you've picked besides My Chick Bad-

      Thanks for commenting Sheena! You have yourself a great weekend too.

      Delete
  10. I love my music. I also listen to Back to Black, since Amy Winehouse makes good writing music. At least I think so.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Winehouse had a wonderful voice and presence for someone so young; I was really sad when she passed. I listen to Back to Black quite often when I'm writing.

      Delete
  11. I know I am officially committed to a project when I start building a story-specific playlist to accompany it. All of my WIPs have their very own playlists.

    You have a lot of great songs on yours...and a lot I don't know.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M.J.! Seems about 50-50 with some writers in favor of play lists, some not. I'm glad you liked my list. I tend to be a little unpredictable with my musical choices. You never know what you are going to get on a play list of mine! If a scene calls for it, I will switch up and listen to something entirely different if I feel it would goes along with the scene/character. Music, always helps inspire me!

      You have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  12. I'm one of the few that can't have anything on when I'm writing. I find music distracting. I have a movie going on inside my mind. That's all I need! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I grew up in such a loud house, that it makes me more comfortable to have continuous music playing in the background. Something to ponder!

      It seems to be half and half, half in favor of music, half in favor of the quiet.

      Delete
  13. That's quite a fascinating playlist you've got. The battles you and your hubby have over music sound a lot like the ones my wife and I have over movies. Tell the truth... you enjoy the playful skirmeshes a little bit. I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband thinks he's just hilarious playing tricks and cheeky pranks on me. But I punk him right back, and yes, I have to admit to enjoying messing with him. It's all playful and fun. I never take myself too serious and he does the same.

      Delete
  14. Love Imagine Dragons! A friend of mine got me into them recently, which I'm grateful for, since--as you very well know--their music is awesome!

    Needless to say, I'm one of the people who's inspired by playlists! I can never seem to work on my projects without at least one song playing in the background...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! I was so mad because I just found out that Imagine Dragons was playing in Atlantic City this weekend. Of course, by the time I found out and called for tickets, the show was totally sold out!! I was so pissed-their acoustic stuff is sick! I really wanted to hear them play a live show. Oh well! Maybe next time they come to NJ...

      Delete
  15. I came here early this morning and couldn't comment. Not that I couldn't comment but your site would not let me. Oh well, love your playlist. Some I know, some I've never heard of, but the song you included is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faraway- Sorry you couldn't comment earlier. But I am glad you came back and enjoyed my song choice! Those lyrics are a perfect fit for my WIP, right? Couldn't believe it when I heard them for the first time. I might have some stuff to send you, real soon. :)

      Delete
  16. I think I would FREAK out if my hubbie did that!! My car is inviolate! You know about Spotify, right? It's my new music obsession. And...here's the recipe :) http://www.marthastewart.com/261251/scallops-with-mint-pesto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a Goddess Johanna! Thanks for the recipe- can't wait to try it out, I have scallops in the frig for tonight. Better yet, I'll have my Little Chef try it out. She's a much better cook then I will ever be.

      And I do not know about Spotify! What is it? Shall I Google it? Do tell!

      Man, does it drive me freaking crazy when The Hubs messes with my pre-sets. He thinks it's so clever and funny! But not to me. Because the pre-sets aren't all that he messes with when he takes my car- he is so large, he must push my seat all the way back and then readjust all of the mirrors. Which makes me go ballistic b/c my uptight, OCD self has everything just a certain way! Ugh. Takes forever to get it back the way I like it. Little things, like that- annoy the piss out of me!

      Delete
  17. No playlist to speak of. When I write the first draft, silence is the rule. When it comes to editing, then I'll listen to music. Not a given song, but a given artist's recording. Recently, I just finished the 2nd round of edits for a novella that I'm putting on the shelf (long story), and while doing it, I'd listened to the following artists/compilations:

    Jim Croce
    Superstars of the 70's (early rock compilation that came out in'74)
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Dr. Demento compilation
    AWOLNation

    ReplyDelete
  18. I listen to instrumental/experimental post-rock when I write -- and cello. Lots o' cello. Favorites: Explosions in the Sky, Zoe Keating, This Will Destroy You, and Russian Circles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lcoked out of blog - had to start a new one. Come visit. http://my2ndcupofmorningcoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am the same as you. I can't do anything without music blaring! But... writing is a bit different. Sometimes I need it, sometimes I need silence. Depends on the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I write to music all the time, but it has to be instrumentals. Can't have lyrics. I've never been directly inspired by a song like you were, but for me, it helps set a mood.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great song list. I think I like just about every one of those songs. I can't function without music, whether it's writing or driving down the street or doing chores around the house. Every one of my novels has a full song list.

    Also, I'd tell you what I'm listening to, but I can't, because I'm a hipster. If you knew about it, it just wouldn't be cool anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I still cannot write with music playing--especially if there are lyrics. I guess I'm the oddball. (big surprise there)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I definitely don't listen to music while I write, but I confess to having the tv on half the time. I know, weird :) I'm not too much into music, but even so, it would really tick me off if someone changed my preset stations!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Isn't it great when the love comes back?
    And yes, I love playlists.

    ReplyDelete