About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 13, 2013

My Cup Runneth Over

This Mother's Day weekend  was just incredible. The cards I received from my girls and The Husband made me so happy. I honestly would have been thrilled with just the cards, but they had much more in store for me.
She's not going to win any spelling bees with this, but I don't care. I think that adds to the precious factor.
 I plan on laminating these cards and keeping them forever!  

The family and I were able to spend time with my mother on Friday night and my mother-in-law on Sunday afternoon. Honestly, I can't even believe how lucky I am when I think about who God gifted me with as a mother. The Husband  always says that he has the absolute best mother-in-law in the world and if he had to name her one flaw, it's that she loves us too much. And as far as mother-in-laws go, I hit the stinking Mega-Million Jackpot. She is reserved and quiet and never, ever bosses me around. More importantly, my mother-in-law only gives advice when solicited.  (Some of my friends have openly admitted to hating me for this, LOL) I actually pester call her for her opinion and child-rearing advice, all the time. She had four children, is a RN and sat on the Juvenile Board in our county as an advocate for abused children. PS: She's also a psychologist and taught the subject at a local college, for years. I'm convinced there's nothing she can't do.

My mother-in-law has my sincere respect and admiration. Not just for all she's accomplished, but the fact that she accomplished it-all on her own. Her husband suffered from Hodgkin's Lymphoma and in between taking care of him until he passed away (at age 42) she somehow found time to raise her children, put herself through school to earn her Master's and work long, hard hours as a supervising RN at the hospital. (Somehow she also  managed to fit in volunteering at her local church) She moved to New Jersey from the deep South when she married her husband and had zero family up here to lean on or help her out. My mother-in-law is afraid of nothing and is one of the toughest women I have ever known.  When I say this, I mean it the most complimentary way. I want to be just like her when I grow up.


My Mother's Day dinner table- set by the girls.
Instead of taking me to an over-crowded restaurant for dinner or picking up Chinese take-out, (which I wasn't really in the mood for) my little Chef Faith surprised me by recreating all of  my favorite dishes, here at home. Still can't believe what that eleven year old kid can produce, off the fly, without the benefit of  a recipe or any culinary experience. Dinner was awesome. When I consider all of my Mother's Day Blessings, I can't help from thinking, my cup runneth over!




Homemade Vodka Sauce-  My favorite! I'm going to ask Faith to post the recipe on her blog.
It was so creamy and fantastic. The whole family loved it!
 

Best Chef Ever, holding just one of the app trays she made  for me. :)




52 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you and your many blessings. Happy Mother's Day (albeit a belated one).

    *helps myself to food tray before I head out.

    "Delicious."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Michael. I am truly blessed.

      And you could have helped yourself, my Faith made enough to feed every one of my followers!

      Delete
  2. Happy Mother's Day. And if Faith ever needs some fresh taste testers...*raises hand*. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would have loved that dinner. She started with olives, cheese, Italian bread with dipping oil, then made fried shrimp and cocktail sauce, then she had the vodka sauce/pasta course. But for desert- oh my Lord. She made these little dark chocolate cakes with this chocolate marscapone glaze she created, and a raspberry sauce drizzled over the top! Oh man, I told her to just serve me one, but I wound up eating two! It was delicious. That kid has mad skillz.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne- it was wonderful. I hope you had a great day too!

      Delete
  4. What an awesome chef you have there! My mother-in-law is the best as well. I had no worries when I got married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband always says he is so blessed with my mom as his mother-in-law. She's the one he calls when he's ticked off at me! LOL They have a wonderful relationship and I am happy for that.

      Delete
  5. Aww! It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie!! Yes, it was so nice. One to remember, for sure.

      Delete
  6. Holy carp, you are one lucky mama! I had a nice day also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so blessed to have the mother-in-law I have! She is the best.

      Glad you had a nice day too!

      Delete
  7. That's so wonderful! Glad you had such a great day. :)You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! I had a really great day. Only downside: all the dishes that piled up in the sink. Seems like my little Chef needs to hire a clean up crew to help her out, lol.

      Delete
  8. The Mother's Day looks and sounds awesome. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brandon- it was awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed my day off...lol.

      Delete
  9. What a great tribute to your family! So glad to hear you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Hope you had a great day too.

      Delete
  10. Looks like you had a great Mother's Day...as it should be.

    Love those cards..."Everyone likes her"...yeah, I can see that :)

    Glad you had a nice day and here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark!

      I'm not so sure about that "E", but the rest on her list "she like to write stories" and "her favorite thing to do is read" she was spot on! LOL

      Delete
  11. great day
    you seem to be very happy
    and that dish looks so yummy

    now following you
    http://flowersofdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Bird's Nest Okta!! I'm so happy you found your way here.

      That dish was very yummy! It was all of my favorites so I gobbled every course up. Still feeling a little full- but very happy.

      Delete
  12. That's just pure awesomeness! I'm so happy you had a lovely mother's day. You're one of the most wonderful moms I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Christine! You are so sweet. Thank you. Hope your day was filled with happiness too.

      Delete
  13. Aw, how fantastic :) I love that you have such a great relationship with both your moms :) And, wow, I am, as ever, impressed with Faith. I don't think I could even come up with an app tray that looks that nice. I hope she posts the recipe, because I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks-I asked her to write it down because she never does and it was better than any Vodka Sauce I ever made!

      Delete
  14. What an awesome day! Your kids rock!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra!!! Miss you. Hope you had a nice day too.

      Delete
  15. Happy mother's day, cool kids and awesome Mother-In-Law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the best! I am so lucky and blessed to have her in my life.

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful Mother's Day. Impressed with Faith-Seriously, wow. My 9 yo made me green bean casserole, but Faith...
    And I am jealous of the M-I-L. You are one lucky girl:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the best Mother in Law in the world!~ I know I am lucky there-

      And food is Faith's passion! She really wants to be a chef and I think she's on the right track.

      Delete
  17. What sweet daughters you have! I have a son whose item #1 for choosing a wife is...she has to be able to cook and since you're little girl is such a cutie...

    Too young? Yeah, mine are too. But it's good to know there are still sweet girls who do nice things for people and have interests in things like cooking and writing and not looking to be Paris Hilton's when they grow up.

    You're MIL is a wonder lady. Wow. I can't imagine doing half as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mother in law is amazing. She is one tough lady. I don't think there is anything she can't do.

      My girls, thank God, don't seem to get sucked into what the other girls their age are into. Like Justin Bieber and all that hot mess. Instead, I have one who wants to mess up my kitchen and try out all kinds of recipes on us; another who's always in a pond, lake, stream or ocean, combing the shore for turtles, snakes, lizards, snails and anything else I won't ever touch, lol. And the little one always has her head in a book or the clouds. But I thank God, because I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad they are still young for their ages.

      PS They are still too young but I am not opposed to making that match between our kids happen, in the future! :)

      Delete
  18. Wow! That sounds like the best mother's day ever! Your daughter is a talented chef, and you are blessed by your moms . . . glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so blessed to have the best mother in law and mother in the world. They are so similar too; they are both RN's and both worked in the psych ward. Helps our relationship tremendously that they have the experience working with lunatics! LOL

      And I had the best day ever. I am so grateful and thankful for my family. (Not to sound all Kathy Lee, but I know how lucky I am. )

      Delete
  19. Aw, what sweet cards! Glad to see you had a fantastic Mother's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! It was fantastic. One I will always remember.

      Delete
  20. I'm so glad you had a great Mother's day. And you're so lucky, indeed. I have no mother-in-law but I've hear they can be hell. And it has been ages since the last time I got a hand written card! Congratulations, Jaybird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cards really made my day. Especially the line my daughter wrote "You will always fill my heart with joy" - that choked me up. I lost it after reading that. So precious!

      Delete
  21. Ohhhhh... I love tender posts like these! So beautiful, jaybird! I love that you have the right perspective in life. All of the most important things right here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls are my world. Love them to pieces!

      Delete
  22. You are such a lucky mom! I'm inspired by both your amazing daughter and mother-in-law. Happy Mother's Day (belated) Jaybird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. My MIL is the best. She inspires me to be a better mom, every day.

      Delete
  23. Sounds like an awesome day. I'm very impressed with your daughter for doing all the cooking - I still cannot cook! The mothers in your life sound like amazing women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Annalisa. I can't cook like my daughter, lol. That's why it shocks the hell out of me that she produces this kind of food! That kid was born to cook. And I get to reap all the benefits- That's a win-win situation if you ask me. :)

      Delete
  24. What an amazing day! And an amazing mother-in law. Homemade stuff is always the best, in cards and in food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my cards and my dinner more than my presents! It means so much more.

      Delete
  25. Wow, that sounded amazing. You're definitely a very lucky mom. Your eleven year old recreated all of your favorite dishes... Meanwhile, I learned to cook at 22 and just hope that by the time they reach 11 my future kids will still respond to simple commands like "please take out the trash" without hating me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure, one day, my kids will blame me for everything that's wrong with them... But for now, my girls love me despite my giant flaws and that's an incredible feeling.

      I don't cook as well as my daughter and that's what's so incredible. How does she know how to do what she does? It's amazing.

      Delete
  26. Hey, J! Sounds like you enjoyed your Mother's Day. I'm glad it was fabulous and I hope next year is even better. I'm curious about that Vodka Sauce, so I'm going to Google right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celeste! How are you? I am asking her to post it on her blog, Faith's A Foodie in the very near future.

      Delete