About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for Octopus

Today's A-Z letter is O. Mine is going to stand for Octopus.  Let me fill you all in about the first time Jaybird and The Husband met an  Octopus.

We were in Hawaii, on our honeymoon. In an  attempt for The Husband and I (who are exact opposites) to agree on something we could do together, we decided it would be a good idea to try a boat trip that offered both scuba diving (for him) and snorkeling (for me).

For me to even agree to go snorkeling- was a stretch. But I was young and dumb and The Husband was able to convince me to go because this was before I knew how many things swim in the ocean with you in Hawaii. Please understand my ignorance of these things was due to the fact that prior to this I had  been swimming in  New Jersey beach waters, which are so dark it is generally unclear who or what is swimming right next to you. You're lucky if you can see your own two feet.
A rare sight: Jaybird snorkeling.

Things actually started out well for me on the way there. The sun was shining and a beautiful Hawaiian breeze was blowing. The water was calm and inviting. While The Husband was off talking SCUBA with a bunch of crazy people who were looking forward to doing it  I, as usual, went off on my own to find my fun. Right away, I met and made myself a fabulous new friend.

For some reason, gay men and I are like peanut butter and jelly; we just go really well together : )  It was fate that the one and only man on the boat (who wasn't there on his honeymoon or for his anniversary) was gay. Right away he and I, naturally gravitated towards one another. We fell into an instant camaraderie discussing our love of  Australian men (one in particular) and bonding over the bad fashion choices currently  surrounding us, while sipping delicious, fragrant  Kona coffees and noshing on some really fantastic croissants. Turns out, this wonderful new friend of mine, was a male nurse and a  guest of the Captain. We were having the best time too, until, the weather started getting rough and the tiny ship was tossed... And unfortunately, that tiny ship wasn't the only thing that was ready to toss.

When we finally reached our destination the waves were calm and we anchored. I thought it might make my stomach feel better if I just jumped in the water. Not a good choice. I wound up getting SO seasick. (Yes, I probably deserved it for being so catty and dissing the fashion victims surrounding me) In any event, I was miserable.

The Husband and all of the SCUBA peeps were somewhere around 60 feet or so below me when I started getting  sick. I can't even tell you how embarrassed I was. I thought I would die. But it gets better. Because I had essentially started chumming, I was attracting lots and lots of different types of fish around me. I looked up and OH MY GOSH, it was like out of the blue I was surrounded by a ton of sea creatures that wanted to EAT my sea sickness!!! And then, here comes a freaking OCTOPUS swimming towards me. Gah!

For those of you who know me, you know, I am  a big fat chicken! Seeing an octopus coming straight at me is like  a nightmare come to life. I think if it had come any closer, I would have passed out dead in the water. I was dying.  I had to get out of that water before it got me. But I was surrounded by sea creatures in every direction and I didn't know where to go or what to do. But God is good, and  He had lovingly provided me with a Guardian Gay. As soon as he saw I was in deep distress, he acted fast. He came to my rescue, throwing a floaty device out to me and gallantly pulled my chummy butt back up onto the ship beside him.

Did I mention how awesome my new friend was? Or that he happened to be a nurse?  Well, he was both. And he went above and beyond the call of duty to try to make me more comfortable and took such good care of me. He produced a warm, soft blanket from somewhere, a lollipop (to take the icky sick taste out of my mouth) a cold water bottle and two Dramamine. He stuck by my side the whole rest of the trip, refusing to budge an inch, even though I told him over and over to save himself; he did not have to go down with this sinking ship.
Me after getting sea sick. I'm still sucking on the lollipop stick.

At the end of the day, when The Husband's  air tank was finally empty and he came up out of the deep, he was met by quite a pitiful sight. But he was so excited and thrilled with his new discovery he didn't even notice the sad state I was in. He came up and said, "Babe, you have to come check this out!  You'll never guess what attached itself to my face mask. An Octopus! Isn't it the coolest thing  ever?"
The Husband and a friend.

 
If you ask The Husband and I about the first time we ever met an octopus, obviously  you will get two very different versions of the answer.

I'm sad to say I lost contact with my friend in Hawaii.  I tried to look him up on Facebook but never did find him. Even if he isn't an active part of my life now, I will never forget him or the kindness he showed me that day on the boat. :)

43 comments:

  1. Gah! an octopus on your face mask, I have trouble even looking at the picture let alone thinking about being behind that mask. I love to snorkel as long as the creatures keep their distance. They are supposed to me more afraid of me than I am of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That;s what I heard too, but I'm not buying that line anymore, lol.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you got sick. How hard did your husband laugh at your story? (Hopefully not too much if he wanted to go home with you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did laugh, and said, "Typical Bird". It's just so like me to get sick while he's having a ton of fun doing the exact same thing.

      Delete
  3. LOL....great story! I think it's great how you met a new friend and they were so helpful. Sometimes, people can really surprise you :)

    It also reminds me of my 'jellyfish story' that I'll have to relate after A to Z is over with. It's funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear it Mark! I'm going to hold you to that.

      Delete
  4. That would have been me as well. I get sick looking at boats. And I can't go into the ocean because of the critters that happen to be in there. My husband is like yours. He wants to go to Hawaii and I told him that's fine, as long as he leaves me alone on the beach with a stack of books and unlimited drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much where I stayed after that, on the sand, with a drink and my books. I love the beauty of Hawaii, and believe it or not, I had a great time going out on a glass bottom boat, after this incident. Checking everything out from a safe distance is a much better way for this girl to roll. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it,
    you could be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will often come back someday.
    I want to encourage yourself to continue your great work, have a nice afternoon!


    Visit my blog :: easy diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool (for him, I mean)! I didn't see an octopus in Hawaii, but now I'll be looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband went scuba diving a bunch more times, just not with me, lol. He saw a hammerhead that he still talks about.

      Delete
  7. What a true friend he was to you that day. I LOVE that you both met an octopus on that trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the odds? Just so typical of the two of us, looking at the same incident through such different colored glasses. And yes, I was so lucky I had such a sweet friend who came to my rescue. He was such a doll- I really won't ever forget him. :)

      Delete
  8. A friend with dramine is a friend indeed.

    I'm still laughing. I'd be more like your hubs looking at all the cool stuff and loving it when curious creatures came up to investigate me--course, I'd be investigating right back. Never thought of providing the chum quite in that way, lolol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the best! I wish I could be a bit more tough like The Husband, but I don't think that's ever gonna be in the cards for me. LOL

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Your stories never seem to fail me. You have the best experiences to share. I'm sorry you were sick but it turned out to be a life story and something you will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I've got a million of them. If you lived close, I would say come hang with me for a day and you'll see how I bring the crazy with me, wherever I go. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm so jealous or both of you! I love octopusses! I wish I had one in my bathtub.
    Actually, first I wish I had a bathtub, then I wish I had one in said bathtub.

    I bet it was a friendly octopus coming to save you from illness. It probably had Dramamine too, but you didn't give it a chance :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that octopus coming at me really scared the crap out of me. I wish I could be tougher, and act like it was no big deal, but I was losing it. SCARED out of my mind. Normally, I like octopus too, just not all up in my face. They are great, from a distance!!

      Delete
  11. Oh! That's such a funny story. There is no way I'd want an octopus attached to my face mask either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's The Husband, he thought is was the coolest thing that ever happened. He's a freaking nut!

      Delete
  12. Very funny story! My family helped me get over/survive my fear of creatures in the water when we went to Hawaii. We snorkeled with Kona Manta rays and although I think I squealed and yelled a few times, it was awesome! However, I wouldn't want an octopus, manta ray, or any other creature pressed up against my face mask. That would be scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband went and scuba dove with those rays too. But I watched from the santuary of the hotel patio, with a drink and some nachos. That's much more my speed and style!

      Delete
  13. How funny! So sad you lost touch...maybe he will read this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was close to 17 years ago (I was on my honeymoon) but I still remember him. Don't think I will ever forget!!

      Delete
  14. You poor girl! Yes, I've had the vomitous time in the water before with tons of fish scrambling forward to pick up for me. So gross.

    I've also held a few octopi while underwater. Cute little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww! Like it isn't bad enough you blew chunks, but then the wildlife wants to come and eat it! Gah. The whole experience was awful. Except for my friend, he made it all better. And I was glad at least The Husband had such a great day. :)

      Delete
  15. This is one of your best stories yet. Haha. And so glad you had your Guardian Gay, lol. I LOVE snorkeling AND octopus, but eating your sickies, gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always some kind of crazy with me. I was just so happy I had my friend to help me through! What a great guy. He made the whole broke-down day, worth while for me.

      Delete
  16. the closest I've been is looking through the glass of the sushi section at the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! That's so funny Adam. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's scared of the stuff in the water.

      Delete
  17. Best of luck to you two and that friend your husband is hanging with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let me just tell you how I'm the biggest weenie when it comes to fish. I. Do. Not. Do. Fish.

    If I get to my knee caps in the ocean, I must be sick. I am terrified.

    I did go snorkeling once in the Carribean, because the water was way too pretty to pass up on! Of course the one time I'm brave I encounter a barracuda. Never again O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am glad to hear I am not the only chicken. And, a barracuda? Lord have mercy I would have been out of that water before you could blink!!

      Delete
  19. Shame you were seasick but it looked fun otherwise :)



    http://demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started out fabulous! I should have just stayed up on deck the entire time, and I would have been golden. :)

      Delete
  20. It's funny- even in the outcome of the story you and your husband appear to be opposites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, we are. That's why (I think) everyone always tell The Husband and I we should make our own reality show, because we are such a hilarious combination.

      Delete
  21. Great Guardian, and great story. The closest I have ever got to such activity is having grandsons who scuba dive. But one of them will never do it again - because he got sea sick. Fortunately without attracting any wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awful to be seasick, there is no where you can go to get away from it! That's why I refuse to go on a cruise because I don't want to get stuck out at sea, and be sick, ruining the trip for my whole family.

      And he was the BEST guardian! He couldn't have been any more helpful. Love him!!

      Delete
  22. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could
    be giving us something enlightening to read?

    My blog todozimbabuees

    ReplyDelete