About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for Kick-boxing

One of my daughters, who I brag about relentlessly may have mentioned before, Farrah, takes Muay Thai. One of her instructors/masters is a champion and comes straight from Thailand. He barely even speaks any English. But this dude is FOR REAL.

There is no playing around in his do jo. His place is not cute. He will not advance a kid up in their belts, unless they prove themselves and he thinks they really, truly deserve/earned it. There are no little birthday parties or  promotions held there. Cripes, he doesn't even have air conditioning! Oh my gawd in August it's so freaking hot in there it smells like schweaty pits so bad; that place gets RIIIIIPE! But my kid and anybody else who chooses to go there, will learn how to freaking kick-box like a champ. And they will learn fast.

My daughter, is not your average-sized ten year old. She's one of the tallest in her grade and she's really thick. Kids can sometimes be mean about it (and grown-ups too) Despite being so chubby, Farrah's strong. Really strong. (She inherited her father's strength which is kind of freakish and unhuman-like) She's also a little shy and quiet. (unlike her mother) So, my daughter, never said a word, but felt really bad whenever Master Komsak would place her up against all the other little girls in her class. She started holding back, big time, afraid she would hurt somebody. When Master K realised what was going on, he switched things up and made her fight some of  the older boys. Good plan for a little while, but most of them are smaller than her too and she still  hesitated when having to hit/kick them. One day, Master K did a random exercise where he challenged everyone in the gym to see how far they could kick one of his work out mats. When it was Farrah's turn, she kicked it so hard it wound up in the freaking locker room- nobody could believe it! (He even gave it to her- to keep as a little prize) After that, he decided he would be the one to spar with Farrah. But he made her promise NOT to hold back.

I have to say, my girls have made me proud  many, many times in the past, for many different reasons. But I have never been so proud of my daughter as I was the day I saw how much that kid had really been holding back and what she was capable of. HOLY CRAP!

When they were done, Master was winded. Winded! My chubby kid winded a Grand Champion.(Wouldn't that make a great bumper sticker?)   All excited, in his broken English and with a gleam in his eye, he came over to talk to The Husband and I about Farrah and her skillz.

He told us, that since Farrah was a lefty, and there aren't that many in the kick-boxing world, if she keeps doing what she's doing, she could become, wait for it:   "UNSTOPPABLE!"
Sorry for the pic quality, but this was an action shot and I'm photograph challenged.
Farrah is sparring with Master K in the background.  

Here's a nice shot of the kids warming up. And  the little size difference I talked about.

I thought The Husband was going to burst. I have to admit, I was pretty much ready to burst with pride myself.  I am so happy she was able to find something physical she loves to do. Not only does she love it, but excels at it. And that's something no mean kid or grown up can ever take away from her.
Here's Frankie and I at the gym, sweating our butts off, watching Farrah spar.
BTW, there is something inherently wrong with just sitting there watching someone come up and hit your kid.
I know that's how kick-boxing works, but sometimes, I have to sit on my hands. Cause it makes this momma a little crazy!

40 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Wow, I bet that has given her so much confidence.
    And don't interfere, mom. You might get kicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has improved her confidence and overall has given her such a sense of self; it's amazing.

      Delete
  2. Go Farrah! That's so cool. My husband is a third degree black-belt in Tae Kwon Do and teaches for free once a week. So I know all about the sitting there and watching my kids get beat up, but I least I can blame him when they get hurt. (My 10 yo just got a cast off from a broken ankle from Tae Kwon do...ahem) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! No broken bones yet, thank God. But lots and lots of bruises and sprains.

      I know it's stupid, but I don't really like watching Farrah fight. (Even though I should be more worried about the person she's fighting, instead of the other way around, lol as a momma, it goes against every instinct I have and just gets to me sometimes.)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to the unstoppable! And to mom. I have a friend who did kick-boxing and it was a part of her strong, confident self. And now she is teaching her daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Commonweeder! Thanks so much for the comment. Believe it or not, back in the day I used to kick-box too. I'm not physically able to do it anymore, but it is great exercise!

      Delete
  4. Stop making me tear up dang it!!! First the Marine, now this? I love Farrah!! When I was her age one of those grumpy old great-aunts you only have to put up with once a year, made the comment that I was getting "thick"...that I was either losing a waist or getting one. Then boom, over the summer I blossomed into a 13 year old with a C cup. And I got teased and teased and teased. If I had Farrah's BA attitude, I'd never have started walking like a hunch back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Elizabeth! I can so relate- We have one of "those" Aunts/haters. She is close to 90 and senile. Every time we see her she doesn't care how many people are there, or where we are, she will LOUDLY say, "God, your kid is SO fat! She needs to go on a diet." Every, single, time. If it were anyone else, I would pop them in the mouth for being so ignorant, but in this instance, I can't. I try to avoid her as much as humanly possible, but there are a remarkable amount of a-holes in this world, who like to comment on my kid's weight. Like me, as her mother, happened to not notice that my kid is chunky and them telling me in a rude way, is going to magically fix the problem. It's absolutely maddening what we deal with sometimes.

      Delete
  5. That is awesome...go Farrah! Martial arts are great because they not only teach discipline, but also self confidence. I don't blame you for being so proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I'm super proud of her.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Go Farrah!!! She's unstoppable! That's awesome, and to receive a compliment like that from a tough Master is beyond cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool. I am so glad he was able to encourage her and bring up her self-esteem like that. It meant so much to her to hear someone she respects say that! And trust me, he is not so forth-coming with the compliments so this is awesome.

      Delete
  7. I'm a big fan of Muay Thai since I saw the Ong Bak movies. Tony Jaa is incredible. I wish I had even a smidgeon of the talent required to do this kind of martial art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! It certainly not an easy discipline to learn, that's for sure. I watch what my kid does just to warm up and I know I would be done half-way through that, much less make it to the drills and sparring afterwards. Those kids are dripping in sweat when they are through. And I'm spent just watching them.

      Delete
  8. That is so awesome. It's fantastic that, like you said, she loves, but excels at it too. I can understand why you're so proud! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing she can do all the stuff she does, chubby belly and all. I love to see her in action. :)

      Delete
  9. That's really cool! I've been wanting to get my kids involved in something like that, but I was so unsure of how he would handle it. Your little girl is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, and I have to say, sometimes it's really hard to watch from the sidelines while someone purposely hits and kicks your kid, lol. But overall, it's done wonders for her and her health, and self-esteem.

      Delete
  10. Santagold's 'Unstoppable' is the perfect song for your daughter, so I dedicate it to her. Glad she found something so great to excel in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sheena!! I can't wait to tell her that, she'll be thrilled. :)

      Delete
  11. Awesome, you should be proud!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa- thanks so much. I am a very proud mamma.

      Delete
  12. you never know, she may go pro some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam- Maybe, we'll just have to wait and see. She is a champ in my eyes, no matter what :)

      Delete
  13. Wow! That's fantastic. I'm proud for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I'd tried that as a kid. I bet it's fun and great for getting rid of stress. Your daughter is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to kick-box, back when I was still physically able, and I have to tell you, I ate everything I wanted, and was 30 pounds lighter!! Wish I could still do it to keep the pounds off, it's a fabulous exercise. She's benefitting from it both ways; to loose weight and improve her self-esteem. Double score!!

      Delete
  15. Finding a physical activity a kiddo loves can be a challenge, but it sounds like Farrah found hers. And to have to train with "the Master" because that's the only way she can be pushed to go further, well, that's truly a compliment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Yes, in this day and age to find something she likes that's not attached to a video screen, is amazing. Glad she loves this form of exercise.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  16. I found myself reminiscing a bit reading this. My daughter achieved a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. She, on the other hand, was like the smallest in the group for such a long time. She was nowhere near the strongest, but had beautiful form.

    These types of activities are so wonderful for youngsters on so many levels. And they can carry that pride with them for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing that Jeff- There is a girl about half my daughter's size, that already achieved her black belt and she is FIERCE! Some of those little ones you really have to watch out for :)

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Hey Girlie- Thanks- we were pretty thrilled :) It's so good to hear from ya! Hope the baby is feeling better now- nothing's worse than sick kids; I hate it when the girls come down with something. Hope all is well!!

      Delete
  18. Wow, that's amazing beyond words! Kick-boxing is such a fantastic thing to excel at. Yay for Farrah! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so proud Heather! And just so happy she found something she loves. It's great exercise as well as being great for her confidence. Win-win!

      Delete
  19. That is awesome, I remember taking Taekwondo as a kid and it was a really great motivation and moral booster. Glad she is doing so well can't wait to see her winning medals or trophies or belts one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much Brandon. Here's hoping she sticks with it and keeps on going all the way up to the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kick-boxing is not something I know much about but I do understand what it's like to have your child excel at a sport. We have our baseball player who plans to own the Dodgers someday. I would imagine Farrah's passion for the sport is the same as his. He's the tallest kid at his school and might have had problems with the meaner kids but the confidence learned through sports now makes him a force to be reckoned with. The bully has backed off. Go Farrah! And mom...as hard as it is to watch, she knows what she's doing. Hurray for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I'm amazed she's even in a kickboxing class, let alone so amazing at it! I would NEVER have done anything like that at her age. I wasn't wimpy, but there's no way I could have done such a physical sport. Bravo Farrah!

    ReplyDelete