About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 20, 2013

A-Z Challenge R is for Rochelle

My R for the A-Z Challenge today is going to stand for Rochelle. My best friend.

Rochelle, my brilliant and beautiful best friend on her wedding day and Jaybird.

"Are you a boy or a girl?" I'll never forget the very first words Rochelle ever uttered to me. We were  all of five years old.  I know it sounds funny because I'm such a girly girl now, but if you saw me, you'd be questioning too. Back then, I had a fondness for overalls,  dirt and short hair. I even carried a wallet, not a purse. 
That's the two of us, when we were really young.

"I'm a girl, geez!" I replied, indignant. Rochelle narrowed her baby blues on me and mumbled something that sounded a lot like, "We're going to take care of this mess right now" as she grabbed me by my grubby hand and dragged me into her bedroom hell bent on performing her first, (of  MANY) make-overs on me.

Rochelle snatched that nasty velcro wallet out of my pocket and threw it right in the trash. I know I should have been mad, but instead, I was mesmerized by this girl.  She talked at me non-stop while she filled up  a darling pink purse with eye shadow and my very first tube of pink lip gloss. After   washing the dirt off my hands and face, she placated me with her Nona's sesame cookies and a glass of chocolate milk. Then she brushed my hair, placing a barrage of barretts all over my head, and said "This will just have to do until we grow it out. You are going to let it grow out, right?" I nodded at her and in that moment, I knew there was nothing I wanted more in this world than to grow my hair out and somehow, become this girl's friend. 

When it was time for me to go, I didn't want to leave. Rochelle hugged  me tight, gifting me the pink purse and all it's sparkly contents, saying, "Let's play again tomorrow Jenny". I couldn't believe it!

The whole way home I begged my  mom to allow me to play with Rochelle again the next day, while patting my new purse and holding my container of shiny lip gloss so tight it almost snapped! It was like she flipped a switch and a giant light bulb went on in Jaybird's head. My obsession with make-up and my forever friendship was born!
Me, Roch and my little brother Chris playing Play Do, back in the day

From that day forward, Rochelle and I were inseparable. Honestly, at one point when we had slept over each other's houses for the twentieth night in a row, our parents said that's enough and were going to force us to stay apart. So, we ran away. We didn't get very far before my Dad caught us, and man, I never saw him so angry. He told us we were being ridiculous and dragged us home by the back of our matching shirts while we cried and carried on.

Obviously, Rochelle, has always been much, much, cooler than me. I've always been well aware of this, from the very first second I met her. Many times (especially in our teenage years) I would pinch myself  when we walked into a crowded party and everyone would start cheering. I knew it wasn't me the were cheering for, but I didn't care. I felt the same way about Rochelle. And I never stopped wondering, how in the world did this amazing girl become my best friend? I've always known how lucky I was to have her in my life. My gosh, I hardly remember a time in my life without Rochelle in it. We have been best friends and partners in crime  for thirty-seven years!

Was it coincidence or luck that brought us together? Both of us swear it was divine intervention. Because not only did we benefit from a chance meeting all those years ago, our Italian mothers took one look at each other and became instant, immediate, life-long friends as well.
Picture on the left we were about 8 years old: My Dad, sis Adrienne, Grandpa, Grandma, Mom Me & Roch.
Picture on the right: Rochelle and Me, at our church/Catholic school in California

Even though Rochelle and her family still live in California and I moved back to New Jersey years ago, we have remained best friends. We have been through so much together over the years: from surviving unholy big hair and bad fashion, to  boyfriends and break ups, the wonderful trips we took together, the horrendous trips we barely survived, great decision making and the very bad, providing a never-ending support system for one another through sickness and death of our loved ones, we helped each other get through school, meeting our husbands and getting married, having kids. The list goes on and on.
This is a classic from our "unholy" big hair days :)

You all know Jaybird here. If you think I'm the least  bit funny and my stories are a little crazy, know this- I've got nothing on Rochelle! So when you combine these two wackos and unleash the pair of us on the world- trust me, it goes way beyond crazy.

When I started to think of  the outrageous stuff and funny stories of what we've done together over the years, I couldn't narrow it down. My sister Adrienne called in the middle of me trying to put together this post and she asked what I was doing. When I told her, she laughed hard and added about three or four more wild memories of us to that list. By the time she was done we were both laughing so hard re-living them that I had to get off the phone before I peed!

Top: My  momma, my bestie Roch, her momma Marianne
My mom and Rochelle's on the beach in Ca, a few years ago

No matter what, no matter where I move or where I wind up in this life, I know this: I will always be there for Rochelle and she will always be there for me. I can only consider a bond like ours, and this kind of life-long friendship,  a God-given gift. Who's your BFF? Tell me about them!!


Rochelle, my sis Adrienne and Jaybird- from one of my more recent trips to go see her :)

 



46 comments:

  1. That's cool you'd stayed in touch. I lost track of most of my friends. There's one from junior high I still keep in contact with, but our worlds went opposite directions and we don't have a lot in common anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that our foundation is solid; we have both been believers since we were kids. That is something we will ALWAYS have in common.

      Delete
  2. I think it's awesome that you have a friend who you've known almost your entire life. The memories you both must have...and, of course, the craziness that must have ensued! :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark- Thanks! Oh man, the memories, the crazy stories. They are almost unbelievable, unless you know the two of us :) Some of the best where from a trip we took down to Florida with my family- back in our teens. Hilarious.

      Delete
  3. that's an awesome friendship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- I am really lucky/blessed to have her in my life, for all of these years!

      Delete
  4. Are you a boy or a girl? Ha! I got that question too but it is understandable. Most people can tell dragon's gender just from looking at them.
    And that's an awesome friendship. I don't have friends from youth. Never kept contact with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She cut right to the chase with that question, didn't she? She still doesn't mince words.

      We don't have to see each other every day to feel close to one another; and that's the biggest blessing of all. We always pick right up where we left off, even if it's been years since we last saw each other. :)

      Delete
  5. I had a best friend like that who passed away when we were 15. I wrote about her on Squidoo. While we didn't have the benefit of years, you know when you meet a kindred spirit. I still miss her. What a treat to read about your friendship with Rochelle. If we got in trouble in the first 15 years, I can only imagine what the two of you managed to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ann, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for you to lose someone so close at such a young age. My heart is broken for you.

      There is a great movie that tells the story of a life-long friendship called Snow Flower and The Secret Fan- it's an amazing, beautiful story. Check it out when you get the chance. I loved it! (Bonus- Hugh Jackman makes an appearance in it-although it's brief, he's briliant as always)

      Delete
  6. You are SOOOOOO lucky to have such a wonderful friend. Rochelle sounds awesome but never sell yourself short, Jay. I'm sure she feels exactly the same thing about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I am really lucky to have her in my life. I thank God for putting her there, all the time.

      And yeah, she know's who's the cool one and who's a giant dork but she still loves me, anyway :)

      Delete
  7. This is so sweet. Glad you found and maintained a wonderful friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheena- I'm so glad we found each other too!!

      Delete
  8. Nothing like a best friend. I still keep in contact with mine as well. There are people you know, people you call friends and then there are people like that, they become family or maybe more than.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandon! Yeah- I consider Rochelle more family than friend. Even her Grandma and Grandpa, treated me as if I was their own grand-daughter. I adored the pair of them. We spent more time at their house than we did either of our own.

      Delete
  9. What a great life-long friendship!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best feeling in the world knowing she is out there, always having my back. I just love her to pieces!

      Delete
  10. Having life-long friendships is an awesome thing. I hope I have some too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do too Samantha!! It is one of my prayers for my own girls, that they will find a rare and wonderful, friendship like mine one day!

      Delete
  11. This is the sweetest post! So glad you have such a kindred spirit in your life. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilima- I was worried about the pictures, because I am so old they are mostly Polaroids- but they held up pretty well over the years and are still in pretty decent shape.

      I am so thankful to know I can pick up the phone, at any time, and she will be able to know exactly what I'm thinking, feeling and am about to say, before I even get the words out of my mouth. It is an amazing feeling to know someone understands you completely, like that. :)

      Delete
  12. That's amazing to stay friends that long! How wonderful =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an amazing girl. I am very lucky to have her in my life!

      Delete
  13. That's an awesome story of friendship. One of my BFFs and I have known each other since age 9. She went by the name, "Pink Lady" and thankfully was cool with my Pippi Longstocking ways. (She didn't tell me that she thought I was a real life Pippi until we had been friends for years and years . . .but when we met, I definitely had the braids and the attitude.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute! I loved Pippi I thought she was the coolest kid ever. I wanted to live in Villa Villa Colla with a monkey and a horse, when I was little. I honestly think it was that story that sparked my love and obession with restoring old Victorian houses!

      Delete
  14. What a lovely story and a lovely friendship. How great you have had such a strong bond together all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DayDreamer!! Thanks so much. I am truly grateful and humbled that she is part of my life. I am truly a better person because of her influence on my life.

      Delete
  15. How wonderful to have such a long lasting friendship. I have made, and lost, so many relationships over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn! I think the Lord was the one who orchastrated our whole meeting, straight from the beginning. He has had His hand on us, over the years. And that's the bond that holds us together. It's truly a blessing to have her as part of my life.

      Delete
  16. What a treasure your friendship is! Amazing to stay friends for such a very long time. The only people I've known since age 5 that I'm still friends with are my sisters. I'm visiting from the Challenge, and plan on returning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Bird's Nest Karen!! I'm so glad you visited and decided to follow.

      Her friendship is a rare and wonderful gift I am so thankful to have her in my life. I wish everyone could experience a life-long friendship like ours.

      Delete
  17. OK, this has now become my favorite A to Z post. It's as awesome as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw- thanks. I'm really glad you liked it.

      Delete
  18. This is a fantastic BFF post. What a tribute to your friendship! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine- thanks so much! Our frienship is amazing. One of my most valued treasures.

      Delete
  19. Wow, so very amazing to find a special bond like that! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi- and thank you!! It is a blessing to have such a great friend and have our friendship last throughout all of these years. I am so grateful for her!

      Delete
  20. What a great post. You obviously have a very strong bond - your very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annalisa- and yes, I am very lucky indeed. She is the best!

      Delete
  21. You're so fortunate to have such a lifelong friend. Love this tribute to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay- I'm really glad you liked it.

      Delete
  22. Wow, you two have been friends since you were five years old?! Amazing! I can't ever imagine having a friend that long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- we have been through some STUFF over the years too. But we always had each other, and that made a huge difference in our lives. I am so thankful she was always there for me and I knew we could always count on each other. Such a blessing!!

      Delete
  23. What a great BFF! I have the same group of BFFs I had in elementary school...it's good to keep the circle tight. If someone starts revealing where the bodies are buried* you don't have to wonder who leaked.

    *Just a figure of speech...well unless you're counting pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes, those secrets are meant to be kept locked down.

      Delete