About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, March 11, 2013

Losing Time

Monday mornings. Yeah. Not really a fan. Especially a Monday morning where I lose an hour. I know one hour doesn't sound like a lot but to someone like me, who is always a day late and a dollar short, losing an hour matters. But I'm up and I'm here and you're here, so let's make the most of it, shall we?

This weekend was (as usual) crammed pack with lots of things I  wanted to do but didn't get to do, things I didn't want to do but had to do and a couple of fun things I shouldn't have done but I somehow managed to sneak in. :)

Friday afternoon (and into the night) I took my thirteen year old niece shopping for a bathing suit. Taking a thirteen year old girl to buy a bathing  suit is never easy, but this difficult endeavor was compounded by the fact that my niece is 5"11".   She towers over all the other girls her age. It is very difficult to find a suit for someone who is this height, yet not quite an adult. Initially, all of the bathing suits we found that were long enough to actually fit her, would look appropriate on a two dollar hooker, not my niece. After an exhaustive search, we were able to find her something decent to wear. Of course, if I had a little more time, I might have been able to find her something a whole lot less expensive and better suited for teenager, online. But she is going away on vacation with my brother-in-law in the very near future and needed a suit asap. As usual, there just wasn't enough time.

Saturday was full of awesome. I slept in. I know most people wouldn't consider waking up at 6:30 AM "sleeping in". It counts for me since my usual wake up call is about 5:30. Again, just gaining that one hour of sleep, makes quite a difference. My kids made me breakfast in bed! Which was fabulous. But then those little friglets sent me a bill! Seriously- they charged me "extra" for every refill on my coffee. I owed them a nice chunk of change before the morning was over, lol. Anyhow, since it was an absolutely beautiful day I decided we should run our errands and get all the boring stuff out of the way first, then pick up some lunch and bring it to the park. Which we did. We ate, then we walked through the trails (which the girls and I love to do). Of course, when they go to the park trails with me, we pack real food and sweet drinks and it's an easier, much more laid back affair. I tire easily. The same rules do not apply when they go with The Husband. But I'll circle back to that in a minute.

Saturday night was spent with our friends and neighbors celebrating our town's incorporation-but we call it a "birthday party". Since it falls so close to St. Patrick's Day, we always double up the celebrating and make corned beef , cabbage and potatoes. Each family that comes will bring either a dessert or hot covered dish to share. I know to you city people this might sound a little Little House on the Prairie-ish, and it kind of  is, but it's also a really a great time. We have a DJ- the kids get to dance, eat, sing happy birthday to our town, interact with all the old-timers and have a wonderful time. The hours flew by while we were there  and I consider it time well spent.

Sunday morning was church and then  I was off again with my sister Adrienne to attend a charity auction. Although neither of us won a blessed thing (and they had some sweet prizes-even the door prize rocked- it was a brand new Coach bag!) we had a really good time anyway. As always, I made new friends, talked too much, ate too much and enjoyed myself immensely. One of my best friends is a lawyer. She's a partner in her firm and has a ridiculous schedule so we don't get a chance to spend time together as often as we used to. Yesterday, she was in charge of the seating arrangements at the auction, so she "arranged" it so we could sit together. Somehow, we found a way to spend quality time together while paying it forward to charity. We lost time, but had a whole lot of fun while we did it!

While I was at the auction, The Husband had the girls all to himself. How would he choose to spend his time? The girls immediately asked The Husband to take them shooting (it's one of their favorite Daddy/daughter activities). Unfortunately, it seems everyone in our area  had the same idea. Since it was so crowded they decided to return to the range later in the week, when it wasn't so packed with the "weekend warriors". It was another beautiful day, and we had had so much fun walking the trails the day before, they asked The Husband if he could just take them back to the park. Forgetting, of course, The Husband's idea of a fun day walking the trails is no where close to mine. Oh, he took them to the park. But he and the girls hiked instead of walked, and they went way off the nice, beaten paths and trails. Then he pulled out a stop watch and started to time them while they ran  "bug out" drills.  He had the girls off grid, hiking up and down hills all day long, carrying their packs (filled with only water and a couple of protein bars instead of Dr.Peppers, chips and giant Italian subs, lol).  When I got home, they couldn't wait to tell me all about it.  They were exhilarated. But also exhausted, dirty and hungry.  And probably a whole lot less likely to ask Daddy to pass their time together on a "walk in the woods" anytime soon. (Don't  feel sorry for them. Maybe they'll think twice before they write their mother up a bill for breakfast in bed, LOL)

What about you? How did you lose time this weekend? Anyone else lamenting the loss of that hour, like me? ~ Jaybird

24 comments:

  1. Sunday morning hurt.
    Your girls like to shoot? Well, that is something cool they can do with their father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday morning hurt for me too. I'm usually late for church (although I really try NOT to be, I always am) losing that hour really screwed me all up.

      Shooting and archery are two of my girls fav things to do with their Dad. My Alpha Male produced three girls. Somehow, he adapted his interests to theirs, lol.

      Delete
  2. I'm still mourning the hour I lost. I want it back. If we all band together can we forcibly take it back?

    Also, a 13 year old girl that I can look in the eye. That kinda blows my mind. Meanwhile, I don't think I'd want to go bathing suit shopping for anybody. That doesn't sound pleasant, especially with the bathing suits they make these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, please! Let's band together and take it back! Why must they take it from us every year? Waaa!

      And, yeah, my niece Caitlin is giant-sized. My sister was tall and my BIL is about 6 "3". (He even played a little semi-pro football) Ironically, her "big" sister Holly stands at only 5"2", go figure? It's a huge ordeal trying to find clothes for the poor kid that not only fit her but are age appropriate. If I have to search the whole world over for the kid to find her something decent to wear, I will. Especially when the alternative is looking like your neighbor's daughter, LOL

      Delete
  3. What an incredible weekend you had. I did not enjoy waking up to the dark this morning...still adjusting. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this weekend was tame for me compared to most, lol.

      I hate waking up when it's still dark- it's so depressing! I want my hour back damn it.

      Delete
  4. Busy, busy, busy. Fortunately, for me we don't do none of that clock changing BS here in de islands. So now we are in the same time, if not the same time zone. If you understand that, I'm sorry.

    I did go to the Vi horse races this weekend. It was fun. Not much of a gambler but I did walk away $.80 ahead (yeah that's supposed to be 80 cents - don't ask), but it was fun.

    Are you ready for another installment of "Not Quite Right"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very!! Send it over any time Barb- I'm ready.

      Delete
  5. We had a party at 5 on Sunday afternoon so instead of setting the clocks forward on Saturday night we set them forward at 3:30 and voila...it was almost time to go to the party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I like that idea. And I'm always up for a party.

      Delete
  6. My great nephew called my several weeks ago and asked if I wanted a "take out" order from his "restaurant". I placed a PB&J order and had it delivered to my car. Money well spent. Got to love kids! And husbands who have odd ideas of fun. Kids need that for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's so sweet Elizabeth! I love it! Kids are a riot. I never know what they are going to come up with. On Sat. morning, when my girls offered me a menu that should have been my first clue. But somehow, I still managed to be shocked when they handed me a "bill". Who knew five cups of coffee could cost so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, your weekend sounds fabulous, full of so much wonderful stuff. I love that your girls handed you a bill for breakfast in bed - cheeky, but cute. The birthday party for you neighborhood sounds fun - I love community activities like that. Your walk in the park sounds a lot like ours, and always ends up with a trip to get some sort of sodas, chocolates and chips. I love The husband's military style walk in the park! And it's so great you got to hang out with your friend while at the charity event.

    My weekend was pretty relaxed, but it included a roast beef dinner and sticky toffee pudding, so I'm happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare- yes, it was so much fun. Trying to pack in as much as humanly possible in just two days can be tough though. LOL

      Our town is amazing. I love that we know everyone and they all know me and the kids. It is such a great place to live.

      I can't walk two feet without a coffee or a Dr. Pepper, LOL. And I'm always hungry. The Husband can walk a whole lot farther without breaks, food or drinks. Me, not so much!

      Roast beef and toffee pudding? YUM. I'd be all over that. Sounds delicious. Glad to hear you had a relaxing weekend!

      Delete
  9. Posts like -this- are why I started getting involve with blogs and blogging in the first place :) I really like reading about people's lives for some odd reason. Good stuff!

    Anyway, it sounds as if you had a great weekend and I hear you on the hour loss. I remember, a few years ago, I felt 'off' for over a week due to missing that hour. It's not so bad now that I live down here in Florida, but I guess the weather up North also had an effect on it.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I'm glad you liked this post! Sometimes I think I just prat on and on about me and the family and no one really cares, lol.

      I hate losing that hour! And weather does effect it, because when it's cold and dark, I'm miserable. When it's warm and sunny, I deal much better.

      Delete
  10. Wow! With all you did this weekend, it really sounds like you need your hour back!

    I had a quiet weekend mainly filled with reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An hour makes a big difference sometimes!

      A quiet weekend reading is how I'd choose to spend my time, if I could.

      Delete
  11. I'm just glad I didn't have to work sunday. One less hour on a workday is awful

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I live in a state that doesn't participate in Daylight Savings. I think I'd go crazy if I had to give up an hour like that!

    I come from a family full of tall people--I'm the shorty amongst them at 5'7"--so I feel ya when it comes to the whole bathing suit thing. Shops don't really cater to tall people, most of the time, unfortunately. Glad you were finally able to find something for your niece!

    And your kids billed you after doing something as sweet as breakfast in bed?! Shame on them! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once, I dated a guy that was 6"7". He came from a family of giants! His grandma was the shortest at 6"2"!!! I never felt so short in my life. On a positive note, I was able to wear any size heels I wanted, without having to worry about towering over him, for a change! LOL

      Delete
  13. It sounds like a fantastic weekend. I try to do as much writing as possible during weekends, but time flies by so quickly while I run errands and catch up on personal life stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Media. It always seems like time flies by for us too, over here at the Bird's Nest. Never enough hours in the day!

      Delete