About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Romance Week: Episode One, Opposites Atrract

Keeping in the spirit of Valentine's Day- and me actually having the nerve to call myself a romance writer, I thought I'd do a little mini-series on the topic of romance. Every day I will (hopefully) stir up a discussion  on romance and invite you all to join in.

First up for discussion: Do Opposites Attract? What's your perspective on the validity of this statement? Do you have any experience you'd like to share, negative or positive, dating an opposite?

Our wedding day. Notice The Husband's giant Shrek fingers, covering mine :)

Here's my "expert" opinion/experience on the topic:

The Husband and I are exact opposites. He is everything I am not. But I believe it's one of the reasons  I was so attracted to him in the first place. Even though I am forced to recite The Disclaimer every time we meet new people (My disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed or implied by the Individual a/k/a The Husband are not necessarily those reflected of The Network, a/k/a Jaybird.)

The Husband, unlike me,  holds nothing back. You always know right where you stand because he'll tell you. For some, his brutal honesty would have been a huge turn off. When I met him, I had just ended a four year relationship primarily due to a lack of honesty and trust. Right away, I knew The  Husband was different. He was not afraid to tell me the truth, even if it hurt my feelings. And I loved that about him.

My husband is ridiculously strong, confident, rough around the edges, outspoken, able to keep calm in a crisis. He can make/fix or MacGyver absolutely anything, he's athletic and agile, he's always willing to take the lead and is so freaking sure of himself, all the time. Reverse that list and, yep, you have  ME.

All of the hobbies and activities The Husband excels at like: scuba diving, flying helicopters, sharp-shooting/sniper, outdoor survivalist, camping, hunting, deep sea fishing, I'd rather stick needles in my eye than attempt. And my ideas of fun, like reading, writing or going to the beach and  just chilling in the sun, bores him to absolute tears.
The Husband's favorite reading material. No where close to mine :)

Now, his type A, Alpha Male, testosterone-filled personality may not make him the most popular or PC guest at cocktail parties, but he is again, something I'm not. A survivor. You see, I am certain, like the cockroach, my husband will survive any kind of apocalypse thrown at him... The post-apocalyptic husband would adapt. He would hunt, live off of whatever he could and he would SURVIVE. Whereas, I would crumble. Completely. Especially without refrigeration, Internet service, coffee...or any of his emergency survival kits, LOL

We've been married for 15 years and although it hasn't always been easy blending our two types of opposing personalities, I have relied on the strength of The Husband for so long now, sometimes I wonder whether or not I could actually survive without my opposite. He is my backbone, my greatest protector, loyal advocate and biggest fan. Whatever weaknesses I have, he sees as his job to fulfill for me. And whenever he puts his foot in his mouth, way oversteps his bounds or knocks somebody out, it is my job to pick them back up, apologize and smooth things over. (Good thing I worked in Public Relations as long as I did. It has certainly put my skills to the test and come in handy since  I married the client from hell. )

Together, these opposites make a great team! Or an outrageous, ridiculous and often hilarious, reality show. (We were  actually approached about doing a reality show a few years ago, after sitting next to a couple in the industry at a wedding. The entire table tried to convince us to say yes. Ha!) *true freaking story*

In my opinion, YES, Opposites do, in fact, Attract. Please, tell me, I'm dying to know, what do you think?

14 comments:

  1. You've made it work, which is cool!
    As far as how we view the world and our beliefs, and the things we enjoy doing, my wife and I are very similar. It's our common ground. Personality-wise, she's much more outgoing, caring, and optimistic. I'm more reserved and calculating. However, that is where my strengths fill in for her weaknesses, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wife sounds like one classy lady Alex. I'm glad you two found each other!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you seriously freak me out. Me and the hubs are complete opposites (married 15 yrs), and he sounds an awful lot like your husband. He's on search and rescue and has so much gear and experience we will survive the apocalypse (even despite my arms flailing in the air in panic and total uselessness). I think we used to butt heads more in our early marriage, but now I think it's perfect, because together as a team we can play on each other's strengths. I've learned to embrace his differences instead of fight against it. Opposites totally attract. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah-The Husband and I butt heads too. Early on in our marriage, more so. Yet I have to say we are better together as a team, than as seperate individuals. Somehow, we work.

      Delete
  3. Haha...loved your description of your husband. He sounds like a great guy. Mine is really outspoken as well, and honest to almost a fault--both traits that I LOVE in him. We've been married for twenty-five years and, like you, I can't imagine surviving without him. He is definitely my strength, but I'm his as well. We fill in the parts the other is lacking.

    Awesome post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey T- thanks. Honesty is so important to me. Sometimes though, it would be nice if he "smoothed" his honesty down a bit, with other people. I can handle it. Most people can not, LOL And congrats on 25 years!! That's awesome.

      Delete
  4. I definitely think opposites can attract. My parents are pretty opposite from each other too, and they've made it work for almost 36 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another vote for opposites attract! And for 36 years? That's no joke.

      Delete
  5. I definitely think opposites can (and many times do)attract. My wife and I are pretty much opposites, in many respects. This, sometimes, leads to butting heads, but we always work it out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that whenever you have opposing personalities you are bound to have some conflict. The Husband and I are definitely included in that. Sometimes he is so stubborn and non-compromising I just want to scream. But then, I am sure he feels the same way about me. :)

      Delete
  6. I love hearing about you and your hubby. He is without a doubt an alpha male, that's for sure!

    I don't think it's an either or thing. I can see both situations working. I think the important thing is how you connect. The only thing I've noticed for myself is that the more opposite I've been from someone, the harder I've had to work at communication and the relationship. But sometimes it's definitely worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the thing about The Husband, you either love him or hate him, there is no in-between. He is too strong of a personality for anything else.

      And I hear you about the communication. It's taken us a long time to figure that out. He's not very forth-coming with the emotions, and I am an emotional geiser.(Again, complete opposites) But some of his control has rubbed off on me, and some of my crazy has rubbed off on him, and now we kind of meet somewhere in the middle. LOL It can be a challenge. Although, I don't think I could handle a dude as emotional as me. That would freak me out. I mean, somebody in the relationship has to hold it together, right? LOL

      Delete