About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, February 1, 2013

Imaginary Friend Bloghop

 
 
I was really happy when Annalisa and Kyra announced the theme for this blog hop. I  love that I wasn't the only crazy chicka who had imaginary friends growing up. (Hmmm, I wonder if it's a writer thing ?)
 
My favorite imaginary friend was one I named Johnny Appleseed.  Johnny was a country bumpkin and kind of ignorant. He did everything backwards and/or wrong and I blamed him for absolutely anything I did not want to take responsibility for. I remember telling my mom (very seriously) that Johnny was the one who drank all the milk and then placed the empty carton back on the refrigerator shelf, just to prove to her that he was real.... (LOL)
 
Now that I'm grown and have my own kids, I should have known all of the imaginary friend antics I pulled on my mother would come back to haunt me. You know, karma and all that.. 
 
On that note, allow me introduce you to my daughter Franchesca's imaginary friend: His name is Jean Pierre. JP for short. Unlike my imaginary friend, he's a grand boulevardier! He hails from Paris, but if he gets nervous or upset, he will forget to speak English. Franchesca started asking The Husband and I to pay for  French lessons a few years back, so she could communicate with him better. (LOL)
 
Here is a picture my daughter drew of good old Jean Pierre, mon Dieu!!
JP always wears his black beret, red sweater and black pants. He stuffs his pockets full of food, because he loves to eat lots of chocolate truffles, cheese and croissants. Don't ever leave any of those things lying around the house, because he will steal them right under your nose. (*true story*)

You see, he's a bit of a trickster, and he will pull funny pranks. For instance, he will steal socks out of the dryer so you can never find a matched pair!  But JP's pranks are all harmless, he's very kind at heart and likes to laugh a lot.  JP's got a chubby belly like Santa "because all his favorite foods are really fattening and stuff". Oh, and of course, grown ups can't see him, only kids : )

 
 
JP started appearing right around the time Franchesca discovered Bemelmans' Madeline books...
Hmmm, I wonder if that's a coincidence? LOL
 
Can't even begin to tell you all how much fun it is to listen to Franchesca chatter on and on about JP. Some of her tales about his life in Paris are pretty hilarious. Now I'm off to hear  all your stories of imaginary friendship. Au revior!

43 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Steve. I will be sure to check it out.

      Delete
  2. So did you get her the French lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of- I took six years of French so I started teaching her myself with some books, music, CDs and videos. I think she has a great ear for picking up languages and is an excellent student. She has already learned a lot of conversational French. I'd like to be able to invest in a proper tutor, but unfortunately, can't really swing it in our finances right now.

      Delete
  3. Lmao, I love hat your daughter wanted French lessons to communicate with him better! Excellent stuff!

    Thanks for joining in with the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for hosting Kyra! And I knew you meant "that" not hat. LOL

      Have a great weekend!!

      Delete
  4. I love that she asked for French lessons! That is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's too much. She made up her own language too, she calls it "Francaneese" My kids are a trip!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ha ha ha- thanks Adam. I'll tell her.

      Delete
  6. I love the French lessons too. I'm with JP on the chocolate truffles and cheese though - they don't last long in my company either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa- yeah, I was a bit put out when my truffles started disappearing. Then I was "told" I couldn't be mad because JP just can't help himself when he's around chocolate!!! Seriously, that kid of mine cracks me up.

      Delete
  7. I never had an imaginary friend and I always wondered how other kids did. But this is the cutest thing! JP sounds like a character and your daughter sounds super clever and cute!! My daughter however has one and his name is Spiderman. Ack! I really dislike him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She named him Spiderman? That's so funny! I wonder what made her think of him. Kids are just too funny sometimes with the stuff they can dream up. But then again, so are we writers, right? LOL

      Delete
  8. I've never had an imaginary friend growing up, but as a writer, I sure have a lot now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I have way too many IF running around in my brain now; and if I don't write them out, they will surely start fighting with each other up in there, LOL

      Delete
  9. How fun for your daughter. I never had an imaginary friend. My sister did and she had almost a much fun with hers as your daughter is having with hers. What a great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's something, that's for sure. Jenn, thanks for commenting and stopping by!!

      Delete
  10. It's amazing how sophisticated kids are, these days. I mean, from "Johnny Appleseed" to "Jean Pierre" and French lessons....mon Dieu, indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? How funny. I really think it has something to do with her love of all things Madeline and France. Not sure what my excuse was- lol

      Delete
  11. I named my daughter Madeline because I love those books so much. What an awesome friend to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw- that's such a beautiful name. The Madeline books are such a timeless classic- I love them too. I couldn't wait for my daughter to read them for the first time, knowing she was going to go bananas for them!

      Delete
  12. I think JP could be wandering at the Dragon Cave laundry room. I knew the dwarves losing their socks was due to a mysterious thief. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly a possibility especially if the dragon hoarded any chocolate and left that out somewhere in it's lair-

      Thanks for popping in Al!!

      Delete
  13. Franchesca can come visit me!!! I speak fluent French and have tried and tried and tried to teach my kids, but they want no part of it. When my daughter was little she used to cover my mouth with her hands and tell me to, "Stop Talking like Babar!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Stop talking like Babar" LOL That's so funny Johanna! Frankie would adore you.

      You know what they say, if you don't use it, you loose it. And that's the case with the French I was taught. Although, I have to admit, with Frankie peppering me with all of the "how do you say this or that in French?" it started to come back to me. Oh, and she asks me to switch all of her favorite DVDs (if they have the feature and surprisingly more than half do) from English to French- It's another great way to learn, and much more accurate than memory faulty old mom. lol

      Delete
  14. Aww! JP sounds awesome! And that's funny your imaginary friend's name was Johnny Appleseed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no idea where I came up with that name either! He started coming around and hanging out with me when I was about four or five. He even made it cross country with us, when my family moved from NJ to California. But he didn't last long in sunny California. He was not too fond of the weather-lol (more like I was able to go outside to play a whole lot more in CA, and ditched him)

      Delete
  15. That's great that she wanted French lessons to talk to him better. Very cute. That Johnny sounds like a rascal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, I'm not entirely certain how my mom listened to me drone on and on about Johnny Appleseed doing all of the stuff I blamed him for and kept such a straight face!! She's one in a million.

      Thanks for stopping by M Pax!

      Delete
  16. French lessons. LOL. That's cool that she had a a French person. She's pretty creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi- Oh yeah, she's creative alright and a bit of a nutter, but what can I say, other than, she takes after her mother !?! LOL

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  17. That's such a wonderful imaginary friend. That's a pretty sweet looking cake too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine- Oh my gosh that cake was a Frankie special-chocolate with chocolate mousse layers. It melted in your mouth. I could drool all over my keyboard just thinking about how good it was. LOL A very talented friend of ours made that cake especially for Frankie's b-day a couple of years back. She went bananas when she saw it. Then I went bananas when I tasted it!

      Delete
  18. JP sounds wonderfully cultured. Love the cake, my daughter, Matilda, has a French obsession (from a different book) and would have loved a friend like JP, she had many when she was younger, and they were all called... Matilda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JP, apparently, lives quite a posh life in Paris. (lol)

      Matilda is fabulous and another favorite book around here too. But her favorite of-all-time- is a book called "Little Bo in France" written by none other than Julie Andrews! Franchesca takes that book everywhere we go and reads it just about every night- If Matilda didn't discover it yet, it's a good one. I mean, how could you go wrong with a book written by Mary Poppins? lol

      Thanks for the follow and stopping in! Welcome to the Bird's Nest.

      Delete
  19. Johnny Appleseed sounds hilarious, and it's great Franchesca wanted French lessons to communicate with JP. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like such a dork now, compared to what my kid created. She has quite an imagination.

      Delete
  20. That is insanely creative. I love it. What a backstory. All of my imaginary friends as a kid paled in comparison to the depth of the great Jean Pierre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B- you have no idea. Some of her tales of what JP does while out on the town in Paris, are freaking hilarious. If she lets me, I will post one. Frankie has a wicked sense of humor and is completely bananas; I have no idea how she comes up with the stories she tells. :)

      Delete
  21. Love JP-and your daughter taking French lessons. Also, that Madeline cake-I'm impressed! Growing up I had 6 siblings, so I don't remember any imaginary friends (beyond books), but I'm going to keep my wheels turning. I must have had someone, right? Also, reading this bloghop makes me want to watch Drop Dead Fred again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Robin- a lot of people mentioned the movie "Drop Dead Fred" after this blog hop. I never saw it- but I want to now!!

      Thanks for popping in and commenting-

      Delete