About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, February 22, 2013

A Sweet Cover Reveal and General Bird's Nest News

Woo hoo. It's Friday and I am super stoked to be able to take part in the cover reveal for the most supportive blogger known to man: the one and only Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.

If you haven't had the pleasure of  meeting Alex, you must be either (1) new to blogging or (2) live under a rock. LOL Honestly, I don't think I could find the words to adequately describe the awesome that is Alex; I have that much love and respect for  him. I jumped at the opportunity to do this cover reveal and the chance to actually support him for a change. So, please take a minute to pop in and check out his blog  http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/  you won't be sorry. All the important dets you need to know about CassaStorm are listed here below- check it out:

Is this a sweet cover or what?
 CassaStorm by Alex J. Cavanaugh

A storm gathers across the galaxy…

Byron thought he’d put the days of battle behind him. Commanding the Cassan base on Tgren, his only struggles are occasional rogue pirate raids and endless government bureaucracies. As a galaxy-wide war encroaches upon the desert planet, Byron’s ideal life is threatened and he’s caught between the Tgrens and the Cassans.

After enemy ships attack the desert planet, Byron discovers another battle within his own family. The declaration of war between all ten races triggers nightmares in his son, shaking Bassan to the core and threatening to destroy the boy’s mind.

Meanwhile the ancient alien ship is transmitting a code that might signal the end of all life in the galaxy. And the mysterious probe that almost destroyed Tgren twenty years ago could be on its way back. As his world begins to crumble, Byron suspects a connection. The storm is about to break, and Byron is caught in the middle…

 
Release date: September 17, 2013
Science Fiction - Space Opera/Adventure
Print ISBN 9781939844002
E-book ISBN 9781939844019

 
Now- here is what's been going down at the Bird's Nest this week: 

On the writing front:
*I'm still plugging away in my revision cave. But it is SLOW going. I'll admit to being easily distracted. I'm going to try a lot harder to focus on finishing them up, next week.

*Most of you know that I am a giant chicken-like bird who is afraid to watch horror movies. I even avoid watching the news before bed because my wild imagination needs no encouragement to go all psycho crazy before I try and fall asleep. Despite my best efforts to avoid all bad news and creepy scary movies last night I fell asleep and had the mother of all disturbing dreams.

When I woke up, I thought, whoah, that dream could easily be the beginning of a super cool story. But then I thought, you can't work on that now, Jaybird, you have to finish all of your revisions first. Then again, I didn't want to wait, lest I forget anything. What do you do when presented with this type of situation? Do you flesh out the new story real quick, ditching the revisions? Or do you put it aside for a later time, once you have finished everything else you have already started?

On a personal front:

*The Husband and I locked horns over an important decision we had to make. It is something we both felt very passionate about and (of course) had opposing opinions on how to resolve.

Even though I absolutely HATE to fight and generally try to avoid conflict of any kind, if it's something I feel very strongly about, I will dig my high heels in and turn into the Queen of Stubborn. All day long, The Husband barks orders and expects them to be followed. Periodically, when he comes home and we argue, he forgets who he is talking to.  Gently, I remind  him to check himself before he wrecks himself watch his tone and remember who he's dealing with; I'm not some sub-ranking Marine OR  rookie cop he is used to bossing around. (Shortly after we got married he bought me a hot pink t-shirt that  read "Don't confuse your rank with MY authority- Marine Corps Wife" as a nice reminder of this. Incidently, I wore that shirt so much it fell apart)

So, when The Husband and I fight it strongly resembles this. Well, except for my ass. It's slightly bigger :)

                               
 
How do you resolve conflict, when both parties are not willing to give an inch? Do you admit it when you are wrong? Because after weeks of wrestling over this decision, The Husband  finally caved last night and ended our stand off - with this classic statement:

"OK Jen, you were right. And I guess, uh, I was less right."  HA!

Hit  me up and let me know what you think. (1) How do you resolve conflict? Do you find it difficult to admit when you are wrong? (2) Any tips on how to focus on revisions? (3) Would you start something new, despite having so many other projects hanging in the balance?  (4) And please don't forget to go show Alex's blog and CassaStorm some love!

Wishing you all a great weekend. PEACE out ~ Jaybird

28 comments:

  1. Personally, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong...my wife, on the other hand... :) I think different people resolve conflict in different ways. I try (stress 'try') to remain calm while my wife tends to fly off the handle...but we've only been married a few years, so we're still working it all out. I guess what matters is that, in the end, you both just remember that you love one another and go from there.

    As for the 'revision cave'...I'm right there with you. O.k, not 'with you', but in my own cave. It's a slow go and, once I resigned myself to that fact, the easier it became for me to just get in there and get it done. I'm still working, but I'm not stressing, if that makes sense.

    Sure, sometimes starting something new can breathe new life into something old. I wouldn't discount it for a second.

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always the first to admit it when I think I'm wrong. I hate to fight and don't like to drag any conflict out. Most of the time The Husband and I argue it's because he is so used to being in "charge" and making quick and fast decisions at work that no one ever dare question, it's hard for him to switch that off and snap back into civilian mode at home with me. Sometimes, when he is talking to the kids he will order them to do something forgetting to add the please or thank you. But the girls are great, they will call him out and just start laughing at him saying, "You forgot to say the magic words Daddy!!" LOL

      Ugh, I'm really trying to focus on those revisions, but focusing on any one thing for a long period of time, is NOT my strong suit. I've got ADD bad. Man, if I were a kid these days, the school would be setting me up with a serious IEP and throwing some drugs down my throat. (Although I doubt any of that would help me out much...lol)

      Thanks so much for commenting!! Have a great weekend Mark.

      Delete
  2. I'll do pretty much anything to avoid conflict so probably can't offer much advice. When I'm really hacked off about something I tend to give the silent treatment! Hope you are back on harmonious ground real soon and find a way through those tricky issues.

    Revisions can be exhausting can't they? Maybe taking a little break to work on something else might inject a little renewed energy. If it's a great idea I think I'd want to jot down some notes at least so that I could come back to it later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, yes, we somehow always manage to work it out. I hate when I allow my anger to get the best of me. The Husband and I wind up laughing at our stupid stubborn self and our dumb fights, when it's all said and done.

      The revisions are KILLING me. They shouldn't be this hard. I think my procrastinating is making them even harder. LOL

      I might flesh out the first few chapters, just so I don't forget anything. Then come back to it later on.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, Conflict with a capital C . . .my husband and I are both really stubborn too. Thankfully, we rarely ever get passionate about the same thing from opposite sides. Most of our arguments are petty, and usually we realize it at some point and end up laughing over it. On those few "huge" issues on which we disagree, it usually takes a long, long time to agree to disagree - which isn't really a resolution as much as a decision not to argue anymore. We end up praying over and quietly talking about those arguments, and finding resolution eventually.

    On revisions - I know exactly how the "ooh, look at the shiny new story idea" thing feels. I feel like I could play the dog in UP when it comes to story ideas. "Squirrel!" In those cases, I usually allow myself about 20 minutes to a half hour to jot down notes about that idea, and then I get back into revision mode. (I even use a timer)

    Congrats to Alex!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hate fighting with The Husband and allowing my anger to get the best of me. Giving it over to prayer, is the only way to go. In the end, we usually wind up making peace through laughter too. I cracked up last night when he threw me a dimpled smile and the classic line "I was less right!" He knows he was wrong, but was not going to give up on his stubborn old tricks, by coming out and admiting it. Somehow, I still love that big Jerk :)

      Delete
  4. "I was less right." Haha. I'm totally gonna use that one.

    On the shiny new idea: this happens to me all the time, and since just thinking about it gets in the way of what I'm currently writing, I'll hurry and write a scene or two, or play with the opening chapter. Usually, this is enough to get it out of my system and I'm able to push it to the side until I can work on it later. I'll do this in the same novel too. Like if there's a scene later in the book I can't wait to write (i.e. a kissing scene, ahem) I'll jump ahead and write it, then go back to where I should be drafting. I can always fix it when I get to that scene later and it doesn't quite fit, but at least I'm not constantly thinking about it anymore. Much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH, he is the King of Stubborn.

      Having this new idea burning in my mind is making me nuts. I think I might have to write a couple of chapters, and come back to it later. Best course of action, otherwise, I will never finish my revisions!

      Delete
  5. "I guess I was less right." Lmao, I love this!

    I can't help with conflict resolution, but when I get a new writing idea and I'm already in the middle of something else, I jot down the new idea but refuse to work on it until the first thing is done. I can't have two writing projects at once, it stresses me out lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra- Are you feeling my exasperation? The Husband is a piece of work. He really could make a great character in a book. Although, most of the ladies would wind up wanting to murderize him. LOL

      I can relate because I am SO stressed out right now! I want to work on this new thing, but it's hard for me to switch gears from revisions to a first draft and back again. I have to learn how to focus. It's killing me and my progress. Hmm, I just had a random thought, maybe I could work it into my A-Z challenge somehow? What do you think about that?

      Delete
  6. Alex's cover is awesome.

    You're description of you and your husband's conflict made me laugh. Just a thought, whenever I can't switch gears to get into writing mode I get out of the house and try to work somewhere else. Simple change of environment seems to help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that sounds like a good idea Johanna. I would like nothing more than to check into a nice bed and breakfast for a weekend, ALL BY MYSELF, LOL

      Delete
  7. "Less right" - I'm going to use that next time!
    We usually don't disagree that much on things. When we do get into an argument, my wife eventually pulls out her secret weapon - she cries and I cave. Every time.
    With your story idea, I'd at least take ten minutes to jot down the basics so you remember later.
    And thanks so much for the cover reveal and kind words! I'm just a Ninja dude trying to do his best for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the shiz Alex, and I was happy to do it.

      Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you and your wife don't argue often. And her tears work their magic on you. That's so sweet.

      I am going to write as much as I can remember down, and hit it again later. After I force myself to do my revisions. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Alex's cover is great! I've been seeing him all over today.

    As for your revising, I always find it difficult to tell other writers what they should do. I always have new ideas popping up. I store them away in my head, or write them down, but I stick to one project at a time or I lose focus.

    I admit I had a chuckle at your description of you and your husband too. I can get very stubborn about certain things, but he and I are almost always on the same wave length. We've never had a big argument. We'll agree to disagree on a few things, but nothing that affects our every day lives.

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christine. And I need to stop and focus on one thing at a time. I know I do. But how to get myself to do that, is another story entirely. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm like you Jaybird. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, (it happens occasionally.) But if I think it's important I will totally dig my heels in, (usually on things with the kids, and he'll usually cave.) ;) So I have no other advice for you on that front.
    As far as the writing stuff goes, it depends on where I am in revisions. I have worked on revising one project and writing another once, but that's because I knew revising would be slow going. If I feel like I'm close and want to give my revisions my full attention then I'll just write myself little notes about my ideas in my 'Ideas' file and save them for later. Good luck with both projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are so much alike Rachel- I am always willing to say, yep, I was totally wrong. And when it comes to me, I hardly ever argue. But if it comes to defending the girls, watch out I'm like a mother lion- fierce. :)

      Delete
  10. Whenever I get an idea for a new story, I like to jot down notes for it, at the very least. Sometimes I can leave it at that until I finally have the time to concentrate on it fully, and other times it consumes my brain so much that anything else I was working on gets abandoned! So...I really have no advice to share, since this always seems to be more of an instinctual thing. Anyway, good luck with your revisions! Crossing my fingers that all the slow-going starts becoming a fast-going soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather- Thanks, and I'm crossing my fingers too!! Here's hoping it works.

      Delete
  11. Ha! I like your husbands comment. When me and my hubby argue I tend to give in cause I'm better at change and can handle situations differently. But if its something I'm strongly committed to I stick to my guns and he usually admits I'm "more right". Lol

    When I have those dreams (which I love cause I'm a fan of extreme imagination and horror) I have to write it down whether I have something going on or not. I can't lose that idea. I think you should always get the main points down and finish later.

    Have a good weekend Jaybird!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was laughing and smiling when he said it, but I'll accept it since that was a monumental step in the right direction from when I first met him, LOL

      I have a seriously wild imagination. Seeing those things in my nightmare come to life on pages, kind of scares the crap out of me, but I'm committed to writing it down. Even if it's just some sketchy details for now. I'll just have to make sure the only time I work on it is the day time. LOL

      You too Dani- thanks so much for popping in.

      Delete
  12. If an idea hits me, I have to write it - even if it's just the very bare bones so I remember it for later. Otherwise it would be gone.

    As for arguing... I'm very bad at apologising, so I might adopt your husband's 'less right' comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha- feel free to adopt it. Although I have to admit his comment made me laugh, it still burns me up that he didn't just give it up and admit he was wrong out right. But on the other hand, why do I go silent when I am mad at him and dig my heels in so stinking deep when I think I'm right? LOL Are we a pair of nutters or what? LOL

      Delete
  13. If a great new idea comes, I think you HAVE to flesh it out, otherwise, you'll lose it. You don't have to take a ton of time, but at least the ideas out if your head and on paper. I think it actually helps the revision process.

    I am not a super strong-willed person, so I almost always give in. Probably why I should steer clear of alpha males, cause I get run over, even though I tend to like them :). Good for you for standing your ground!! I can see how he would have a hard time switching out of authority when he comes home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband's stubborness can be infuriating but on the other hand, if he was spineless and I could just roll over on him and win every argument, I would not be attracted to him, at all. LOL What a freak I am!

      I was able to write the first chapter down. I think I'll leave it at that for now. I read it to my girls but they didn't seem very impressed. LOL All they said was, "You cuss too much mom!" :)

      Delete
  14. I love Alex's cover! It's hard to stay focused on one project when I've got great ideas floating around in my head. But I need to. I don't like working on multiple projects at a time because I get too easily distracted. Oh, and that is a classic line... I may have to use that one day. It's way better than admitting I'm wrong. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex's cover is great.

      I am not good at focusing on more than one thing at once, so I really need to buckle down and finish what I started first.

      Yes, his line was too classic not to share. Thanks for commenting Michael!

      Delete