About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Three Little Cuckoo Birds

My girls always take turns playing/doing what the other one loves. When it's Faith's "turn" they will always cook or bake something. I  profit from her turn the most, because it always produces something delicious, and I wind up not having to cook dinner. (Yay) But I don't like it when the "Chef" leaves the "staff" a pile of dirty dishes and a jacked up kitchen to clean.

Since the hurricane, we've had to become very creative in what's for dinner. A lot of the stores are still not open and the ones that are, aren't fully stocked. Plus, I donated a lot of what I had in my stock pile and pantry to people who had nothing. So when Faith said she was going to make dinner, I wondered what the heck could she make, from the very little I had on hand- Holy crow,  I have to hand it to her, because this vegetable lasagna she came up with was AMAZING! And I can't seem to stop eating it. LOL

She will most likely be posting the recipe on her blog.  But here's a sneak peek:
 
 
 

Since there are so many delicious benefits, I'll take Faith's version of  playing over Farrah's ANY day. Because when it's Farrah's turn, the mess she leaves behind is the least of my worries... She's my little marine biologist/scientist in the making. And she loves to experiment! The "let's drop these Mentos into this bottle of Pepsi to see what happens" kind of experiments. (Even though she knows damn well what's gonna happen-she loves to impress an audience) Not to be outdone by her, "Mom, I had to save it!" moments, wherein things that live outside and should stay living outside, are dragged into my home to convalesce, in her expert care.

There was a toad that got run over by a lawn mower, a turtle that got hit by a car, birds with broken wings, and other various slimy things she needed to save. Farrah has three 150 gallon tanks in her room. Yes, I said THREE. One never knows what she will try and drag in next. We had that toad who got run over by the lawn mower for over two years! She named it Tara. My daughter hand-fed it crickets she carefully dusted with a special nutrient based powder. The day she released Tara back out into the wild, was a bittersweet one indeed. There must be A LOT of misplaced creatures out there since the hurricane, but so far, she hasn't found any yet. Not for lack of searching, mind you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Farrah, panning for fossils in PA
Trying to teach her sister a thing or two.


And then, there's the "baby". Miss Frankie. She is the easiest to please. As long as someone is paying attention to her, she doesn't really care what they play. But her favorite thing to do, is write! (Yippee) She loves to write plays, dress up as the characters in it and put on a elaborate production for The Husband and I. She has quite a creative mind. I have no idea where she gets it from...muaah!

Here's Frankie, dressed as one of her characters. A cool cat from New Orleans, named "Jazz"
Never in a million years could I have imagined how different my three girls (only a year apart mind you) would turn out to be. I celebrate and enjoy their diversity and creativity. It brings such joy to  my heart and normally, I revel in it. I adore my girls! But after being cooped up with all three of these cuckoo birds for days on end, my sanity and patience with the mess they keep creating, has worn thin. And I'm counting the days until they can fly on back to school! LOL

20 comments:

  1. Your girls are amazing, just like their mama. You're so kind giving away food. I don't know how I'd live without cheese for a sustained period of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL- Thanks Ilima. But I don't feel so amazing! The girls are driving me batty. Every time I get the house picked up, I turn around and another mess has popped up! I know it sounds petty, but I'm exhausted! LOL

      Delete
  2. As usual, I adore your girls. They are the most unique kids! I love to cook, but I know in my heart that Faith is a better cook than me. And Farrah, oh my goodness, she reminds me of myself...I was forever saving abandoned/injured creatures, too. My dad was all for it, but my mom...not so much. And Frankie...already writing plays! They are going to be three very accomplished women someday! Good job and congratulations, mama :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet Kianwi. And, believe me, I've already come to grips with knowing Faith is a way better cook than me. I looked at the exact same contents of our frig and pantry, and came up with a big fat zero on what to make! That kid looked at the same thing, and made something fabulous! LOL

      I'm a sucker for strays, just like Farrah. Except my strays are usually people. And the occasional four legged, furry kind. Allowing that kid, to bring crickets IN my house, was a huge concession. But she is so dedicated, I have a hard time saying no. With her, I had to come to grips that she is always going to be smarter than me. Ha.

      And Frankie, I have already decided, is a much better writer than I'll ever be. Her story about Jazz the cool cat from New Orleans, was a hoot. She cracks me up.

      But it's time for my crazies to go back to school now, and give their mamma a little rest. Cause this Bird is totally pooped. LOL

      Delete
  3. Lasagne looks good! Let's just hope the baking and the critters never mix...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh that lasagne was delicious Alex. I could have eaten the whole tray myself! (And I practically did) Because it didn't contain meat, it wasn't The Husband's favorite. But that just left a whole lot more for me to eat! LOL

      Delete
  4. If I was still a kid, I"d want you to adopt me. I love that you encourage your girls so much even with interesting animal results. Faith sounds like an ah-ma-zing chef. I'll look out for her on "The Next Food Network Star" in the far future :) Farrah wins a heart-of-gold award, and Frankie sounds a lot like mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw- thanks Issy! I actually really do want to adopt, since I can't have anymore myself. But then I think I'm being super selfish, since I already have my three girls. IDK- definitely something that I need to pray on.

      Thanks for your sweet comments!

      Delete
  5. Your girls sound wonderful Jaybird, you must be proud! That lasagne looks pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope I'm not too much of a bragging momma. I am super proud of them. But those crazy little buggers can behave not so well sometimes too! I think that's the flip side having such big personalities!

      PS That lasagne is all gone! (I think I ate half the tray myself.) Can't wait until she makes it again. Yum.

      Delete
  6. I have daughters too and enjoy seeing them develop together and individually. Its a beautiful thing to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your girls are really great. Also, I'd eat that lasagna with or without a food shortage. That looks pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! I want Faith to make it again. Real soon. Like tonight. That'd be great!

      Delete
  8. Aw- what a wonderful comment! You sound like an amazing father Stephen. And I don't care what anyone says, being a father to girls is a blessing.

    I think it's so crazy how different each of my kids turned out to be- I get such a kick out of them. They are definitely entertaining, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. I have three girls too who are only 21 months apart and each one of them is so very, very different. Actually expecting a fourth girl for March and wondering just what's in store for me! lol I'd definitely prefer cooking dinner over wild animal care any day! But I do think it's adorable how she actually saves some of the animals. A lot of time I'd go out and catch something, like a frog or a toad, and end up accidentally killing it.*cringes* (Like the time I left the bucket of frogs on the front stoop in the hot sun while we went on an outing. Or the time I accidently stepped on the toad because i didn't seem him escape from his box. Ew.) On a more appetizing thought, that lasagna looks delicious! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three girls and a fourth on the way? You sure have your hands full!! How do you find time to write, at all?

      It is not easy allowing my kid to bring things I run away from, into my house, under her protection. But I had to give it up and allow it. She is just so passionate about helping them, and she really does have a knack for it. Also, it made me feel like a big fat turd for not caring about the non-furry stuff the same way she does. LOL

      Delete
  10. It is so wonderful that you allow your girls to be who they want to be instead of trying to mold them into something they are not. I have three sisters, and I'm glad my mom appreciated us as individuals. I think if she had tried to make us all the same, we would have serious issues between us as adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. I seriously have a great distaste for parents who force their own likes onto their children, and wonder why in the world, they don't like it! I just don't roll that way. Never did it with my friends, certainly couldn't do it with my kids. Even if they are nutters. LOL :)

      Delete
  11. That's fabulous how different they are. You're such a good mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am trying my best Christine- honestly, being a parent is the hardest thing I have ever done. I wish I had all the answers. But I struggle along, just doing the best I can, hoping and praying it all turns out alright.LOL

      Delete