About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Paranormal Romance: Well Played or Played Out

No matter what you think about Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books, there is no denying their success. I just saw an article that stated people have already started to camp out for the premier of Breaking Dawn (part two) this weekend. They will be  living in tents pitched over concrete for five days! That is some serious dedication to the characters she created!

I read a lot of agent blogs. Many of those agents have made it clear that they will refuse to consider ANY paranormal romances, from now on. They think the market is saturated and there is no way they want to take on another. This is pretty disheartening news for paranormal writers. Guess who writes paranormal? Me.

Grant it, I write a lot of other genres too, but I happen to really love paranormal. And I've already written one. One that I'd like to see in print. I'm not deluded into believing I'm going to be the next Stephenie Meyer, not at all, I'd just like to see my hard work at least acknowledged by an agent. Which leads me to another question- who and what do you write for?

Should you scrap your ideas and  characters because an agent won't even entertain the idea of them? If your book isn't marketable anymore, do you nix it and jump on to the next big fad? Because personally, I won't. I feel like my story at least deserves a chance to be told. And I will publish it  myself, if I have too. How do you feel  about paranormal? I'd like to get your opinion. Is it still well-played or just plain played out?

24 comments:

  1. I take very little notice of trends. I think if you have a good story that you want to tell - you need to write it, submit it and see what happens.

    I definitely wouldn't give up on something just because a bunch of agents won't touch a certain genre. If you believe in your story - stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra. Makes me kind of sad to think how many great stories won't get told, because they are not "marketable". Bleh.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that if it's written well enough-any genre-dystopian, paranormal, etc- it will still sell. I say write what you love, because if you try to write to the market, you'll miss it anyway. Maybe your paranormal romance will come in the "next wave."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robin! Yes, I agree. I don't write to please them, but me. And I don't ever mind reading a great story, that's like another I've read before, if it's written well.

      Delete
  3. I love the paranormal genre! So what if some agents think that that particular market is saturated? In another year or two, they're going to be saying the same exact thing about something else, so there's no point in ditching an idea you love just because its genre is a little too popular right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! And YAY for another paranormal fan. xo

      Delete
  4. Paranormal is not my favourite genre, so I'm not one to comment. But you should write what you love, regardless of the trends that are happening. Also, I've heard a few authors/agents say that if you try to jump on the bandwagon, odds are the fad will be over by the time your book gets published anyway.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Allison- thanks for the pep talk! I appreciate it. I'm glad most writers feel the same way I do. Write from the heart, and all will go well.

      Delete
  5. It's funny, when I saw the preview for that movie I think I groaned out loud. Like, is it still happening. Haven't they tortured us enough.

    If you love paranormal keep writing it. No matter what agents or the industry say, what they really want is something that sells and if you write that, they will sell it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep- I am going to keep on writing in this genre, whether it's popular or not. Just like I keep on wearing my giant silver hoop earrings, because I love them, even though they went out of style in the lates 80's, LOL

      Delete
  6. Don't give up on it. When I was writing CassaStar, everything I read said science fiction was dead. I wrote it anyway. Glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science Fiction dead? Bite your tongue. Never!! I'm glad you didn't listen to them either, Alex!

      Delete
  7. Great advice from Alex. Trends come and go. What's saturated this year might make a huge comeback next. Personally, I LOVE paranormal romance and I think there's always room in any genre for a well told story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot woot! Another paranormal fan. Love it. You make a great point too! Thanks Tamara.

      Delete
  8. Keep writing what you love to write. By the time you write to a trend, it'll already be over or agents will be sick to death of it. But that doesn't mean readers are sick of it yet. I still love vampires--just not the sparkly kind--and the paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! My story is about angels and demons, not vampires. But personally, I don't think I'll ever get tired of vampires. I love the different twists each author creates that make their vampires unique. That's part of the fun of reading about them, for me.

      And yep, I am going to write what I love, regardless of what the majority thinks. Because I WANT to tell a story my way, even if it's not popular anymore.

      Delete
  9. I'm of a firm belief that no matter what you write about, if it's a good story then it's worth selling. These same agents also don't believe in the power of ebooks or in taking chances on stories that haven't been 'proven in the market yet.' Remember, agents are just human beings too, and sometimes, they can be wrong. Like you said above, people will always love vampires. We can't just stop selling books about vampires until Twilight's popularity dies down... what sense does that make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling you B! And no, it doesn't make much sense, does it?

      Delete
  10. I think you should write what you love. I do think there is still a market for paranormal, I think you just need to be realistic about where it is. No, you may not land an agent with paranormal right now, but that doesn't mean you will never see it in print. You may be better off submitting to small presses.
    I'm in a similar boat with my zombie book. For me, getting it picked up by a small press is the big goal for that ms. (Although I still hope to land an agent some day, with something else.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a small press to take interest in what I wrote...or anyone for that matter. LOL

      And your zombie book kicks ass. It will get picked up for sure Rach!!

      Delete
  11. Write what you love! What's the point of writing otherwise? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain'that the truth!! I write (for me) because I need to. It would be like the icing on the cake if anyone else is down with it! LOL

      Delete
  12. To me, paranormal romance is just another genre and it will never be played out. If a story is a good story, then that's all that matters. In a way, I can see why agents are saying that. Can you imagine all the crap they must be getting? Knock off after knock off of Twilight. Your book will find a home, even if you gave to self-publish just to begin with, and then find a publisher/agent later. I, for one, would buy it, because I love paranormal romance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the agents saying is saturated are slave to a bit of book snobbery. I love paranormal romance. I will NEVER stop buying it or reading it. I know how you feel though as I also write paranormal romance (but with a unique twist) and only hope it will get noticed. The thing is most of my rejections have come from agents who have said that they won't even consider it. Don't know what to do. Do I self publish. I mean how do I even do that?

    ReplyDelete