About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2012

Human Nature

In the after math of  most disasters, you get to see examples of  the very best and very worst of human nature. Here are just a few examples of what I've seen after Hurricane Sandy so far:

The worst I've seen since Hurricane Sandy:
1. Looters! Trying to benefit from the misfortune of someone else is just disgusting. 
2. Our gas stations have lines that back up for miles. Some people were running out of gas, just waiting on line for their turn at the pumps. Grant it, these people are at their wits ends, many are hungry, cold and exhausted. But so is everybody else. That's no reason to start a fist fight. Everyone's tempers are short. Keep it in check people. This sucks for everyone, not just you.
3.I was sitting outside Home Depot  waiting on The Husband, when I saw a large truck pull up.  Immediately upon its arrival, a police officer and five or six Home Depot employees rushed out and surrounded it. You see, the truck was carrying generators. Thirty-two to be exact. In order to keep the peace and ensure the safe distribution of the generators to their customers, they needed a show of force. It was so disheartening, but honestly, absolutely necessary.

Now for my favorite. The best I've seen in people since Hurricane Sandy:
1. People who had heat, power and food who graciously opened their homes to anyone who did not.
2. Watching a young couple who were in need of formula and diapers for their baby at the store. Unfortunately, their credit cards were no good. The kind man on line behind them, who was listening to their struggles, without a word, stepped forward and swiped his own credit card to pay for their purchases.
3. Seeing random strangers come up to thank The Husband for his service, instead of hearing the usual snide remarks about cops all being donut eating pigs who sit on their ass and collect a salary for doing nothing but causing people misery and tickets.
4. People who came from far and wide to help try and put the Jersey Shore back together again. It's not their home, but they are treating it as such.

Surviving this Hurricane and it's aftermath has not been easy. We have a long road ahead of us here at the Jersey Shore. But we as human beings have a choice. You can choose how you are going to handle and overcome adversity. And it's our choices in the hardest moments, that define us most.

11 comments:

  1. Happy to hear 'the best' things. My heart goes out to all of you who have been affected by Sandy. Take care, hopefully things are on the upswing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disasters tend to bring out a person's true nature - we just hope with most people it's for the best.
    Those little acts of kindness, like the man using his credit card, matter so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad people are banding together. I'm sure there are lots of things that make you want to scream, but the good should outweigh the bad...at least I hope it does! Hang in there, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to hear about the good people out there. And it is our choices that define us--so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looters suck. But I am pleased you managed to witness some amazing acts of kindness too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that man who paid for the formula and diapers made me teary. I love when people do that. You're right that things like this bring out the best and worst. I hope you and your family are getting by okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We lived in NYC during 9/11 and I was often amazed and inspired by the kindness strangers would show to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The guy paying for the diapers and formula made me teary. Human being are are amazing, both in good and bad ways. Thank God you got to see lots of good to overshadow the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sincerely hope the good is outweighing the bad. Take care and lots of love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The amazing acts of kindness really lift my spirits and restore my faith in humanity. I hope you're coping well after the Hurricane; I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to meet you. I stopped by from IWSG and noticed this post, it caught my interest. I was wondering how the people of the big apple have been handling the devastation and it was refreshing to hear the story from someone living the experience.

    CarolynBrown-Books

    ReplyDelete