About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 19, 2012

Baby Steps

My niece Holly started drawing again. Um, can I get an Amen !?! Because after her mother (who was an amazing artist) died, Holly just stopped sketching. It damn near broke our hearts.

But I didn't nag. Actually, I never said a word to her. In the quiet depths of my heart, I was silently and secretly shooting up some major prayers that she would one day be able to draw again. Because I strongly believe she inherited my sister's talent.  As an Auntie, it was extremely painful to keep my big trap shut. Although I did talk to my brother in law about it.  I know he wished for her to start drawing again, just as much as I did. Still, I never pushed or verbally said anything to my Holly girl.  From time to time, I may have left a few sketch pads and some charcoal laying around her house,  just in case... (I'm only human you know.) For three long years now, nothing. Not even a stick fish.

Then, all of a sudden, this weekend, there it was. A sketch! Rationally, I know it's just one picture. But I can't help but be thrilled by what it represents. A baby step!!  And I couldn't be happier.

This is my Holly girl's picture. YAY!! Loving it.
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I'm really looking forward to hosting Thanksgiving at the Bird's Nest. We have so many things, big and small to be thankful for! ~Jaybird

30 comments:

  1. She just needed to heal on her own time. God knew when she'd be ready again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so glad she's ready again. Hope you and your wife have a wonderful Thanksgiving Alex!

      Delete
  2. I am glad she started drawing again. Sometimes you just need a break to grieve and you come back to your talents when you feel better. Have a great Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel- I am so happy! It always meant so much to her to draw. I'm excited she found that creative outlet again. And you have a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

      Delete
  3. Her taking a break from drawing was understandable, and it's good to see that she's back at it. That's quite the sketch. Much better than anything I could do (I suck at drawing hands... thus why all of our characters have 'circle' hands).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good sketch too, considering she hasn't picked up her pencil in three years!! (But I'm also very biased so, um yeah.) I can't draw jack crap. But I do love art, and I realize drawing hands can be very difficult.

      And BTW, your cartoons are amazeballs! You are ridiculously talented. And I'm super jealous that you can draw AND write! Bastard. xo

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's an amazing picture! I hope she keeps at it, although I understand why she needed the break.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! Thanks so much. I kind of love that picture. I want to kiss it and frame it and save it and hug it to pieces. I know that sounds weird, but I just love what it represents, you know?

      Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too!!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Not just one picture, but one totally awesome picture. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it does help us process the pain.

    Furiously working on my edits. Had some health issues this past week that kept me from typing. But soon my friend, soon.

    Thanksgiving here also, so I'll be a little busy, but I'm hoping that by the end of this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and that you feel better soon. Don't worry, like I said before, I will be here for you, whenever you finish!! xo

      Delete
  6. Way to go, Holly. That's awesome. I have so much to be grateful for, too. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilima- hope you and your family have a beautiful holiday together!

      Delete
  7. That's great! Hands are the hardest thing for me to sketch, but Holly doesn't have the problem. Keep being awesome, you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey David! Thanks so much. That's what I keep hearing about those hands being one of the harder things to draw. I think she nailed it here, right?

      Have a wonderful holiday.

      Delete
  8. Oh.... what a great story... baby steps are GOOD. And such talent! it's absolutely lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps are so good! I am so thankful for them. Thanks for commenting Morgan.

      Delete
  9. That was the best way to handle it - let her start again on her own. That drawing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was REALLY hard for me to keep my mouth shut. But I did it. And now I'm so glad I did. It was a long three years though, just waiting.

      Delete
  10. That makes me so happy! She has so much talent and I bet it will be an amazing outlet for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I really think she's talented- but I am super biased, LOL It's good to hear from outside sources they think so as well.

      Delete
  11. That's great that she's starting again. :) And what an amazing picture! I am so envious of people who can draw.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't draw to save my life! But I absolutely love art. I could go to the MET (Metrop. Museum of Art in NYC) and just stand there staring for days. For me, there is never enough time to take it all in!!

      Hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving too, Rach!

      Delete
  12. Wow, your niece is amazingly talented! It's totally understandable why she'd need to take a break from drawing for a while, so she could grieve, but I'm glad to hear she didn't let that break last forever. Fingers-crossed that more sketches will result now that she's made this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my fingers are definitely crossed there's many, many more sketches to come. Thank you so much Heather!

      Delete
  13. Wow, what an amazing picture. And if she sketched something that detailed, she'll be sketching more for sure. Her poor broken soul must have healed just a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kianwi. Here's hoping she's on the long road to reconnecting to what she used to love. It was so amazing that she was able to share a love of art with my sister, we all understood exactly why this hurt so bad. I'm just glad she pushed through the pain enough to pick it up again!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much Tammy!! I will. xo

      Delete
  15. That's a stunning picture. I'm glad she found her way back to it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick!! Me too. Makes me SOOO happy.

      Delete