About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 11, 2012

So I Married An Alpha Male

Don't we just love to devour romance novels chock full of choice, Grade A, all-testosterone- all the time, alpha males? And boy, do we have our favorites. Mr. Darcy,  Rhett,  Rochester, and Valmont. Or maybe your favorite is Jace, Dimitri, Eric, Noah, Drogo, Bones or Edward?
I don't look like a psycho stalker standing next to Robby Pats in this picture at all. LOL
Whoever our favorites may be, one thing is for sure, we will go back again and again to read all about them. They are always so fun and exciting. But have you ever seriously pondered the reality of  being married to an alpha male? One bright, sunny October afternoon, sixteen years ago, I married one.  

Note the giant Shrek hands, covering mine.
Yep, I married the hero in my life story.  My alpha male literally swept me off my feet (wearing a uniform no less). And although I love him with all my heart, the little realities of being married to such a character, doesn't always make it in the books :)

My alpha is brutally honest.  A man that only tells the truth? I know what you are thinking. Amazeballs, right? But he has NO filter. For example, your Auntie comes over with a new (and kinda bad) hair cut. She asks your alpha male, "How does it look?"  So he tells her. Gah! You want to run away and hide.... *True Story*

Here are just a few other examples of  what I deal with on a regular basis:
1. The beloved family pet is commonly referred to as "bait".
2. Camouflage is the new black.
3. Meat must be on the menu. For every meal. Including dessert.
4. Instead of asking you to move out of the way, he simply picks you up and places you where he'd like you to go.
5. Ammo is the only thing coming out of his closet.
6. Utensils are helpful, but never a requirement.
7.Monosyllables reign supreme in any deep conversation. Anything else would be considered an emotional break down.
8.Boots without duck tape holding them together, are considered "fancy".
9. While eating out, he will NEVER sit with his back facing the room. He always has to take up the defensive position.
10. You come home from work only to find two military transport vehicles (parked on YOUR FRONT LAWN) full of hungry men apparently waiting on you, since your Alpha promised them you would come home and cook dinner for everyone! *True story* 

Who are your favorite fictional alpha males? Why? And ladies, how come we love them so much, despite the fact that they can be gigantic pains in the arse!?! What do you love most about them? And guys, how about you? Who are your favorite fictionary heroes? Why? Can anyone name one or more of the books where the characters I listed above appear?

27 comments:

  1. " 4. Instead of asking you to move out of the way, he simply picks you up and places you where he'd like you to go." - I love this LOL!

    I know I'm a bit biased, and I swore I would never write anything this lame, but I really love Radleigh McCoy from Game On - he's pretty Alpha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not lame. And I loved your bad boy Radleigh. He was a tool, but I still would have wanted him, LOL

      Delete
  2. I love Alpha males, and am pleased my own Hubby is one. I dunno, I sort of like all that cavemen mentality; I like to feel protected.

    Radleigh is a great choice for Alpha male! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the minute I met The Husband, I was never going to have to be afraid again. And that's what got me!

      Delete
  3. Umm, number 4 is hot! haha.

    I am the alpha in my relationships. I have always been. I play it way down and don't exert it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the alpha in my relationships-I freaking love that. Go on with your bad self girl! Own it :)

      For some reason, it seems like we are always in the kitchen when I get in The Husband's way. I NEVER move fast enough for him, so he just moves me. It used to piss me off, and he knows it. But now, it's become a bit of a joke between us, so when he does it, I just shake my head and laugh.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Kyra. I love #4, too. And that's why we love alpha males. Because, (while that may be annoying sometimes), it is pretty hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been into a guy that's wimpy. Although, finding a happy medium between all out alpha and wimp, might have been nice! LOL

      Delete
  5. I married an alpha-male for sure. Ammo is the only thing coming out of his closet...hahahaha. I just beta-read for a friend and totally would've chosen "the other guy" while all her other readers agreed with the MC's choice. Why the other guy? Because he was major alpha-male. My favorite one in literary form (and I love them all) is Brigan from Kristin Cashore's FIRE. LOVE him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a movie called Maid of Honor-Patrick Dempsey is the romantic lead. I totally would have picked the other guy!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Hehe! I don't like sitting with my back facing a room full of people either at restaurants.

    And I think we like them because they do take charge, but at the same time we secretly want to find their softer side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought about it before, until I met The Husband. He really can't relax or sit anywhere without facing the room or he gets antsy and all keyed up. Not sure if that's a cop thing or a Marine thing or what. I'm usually oblivious to my surroundings, LOL

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love me an alpha male :) I am not exclusive, though, becuase I also enjoy guys who like to have whole conversations, ha ha. My rule is, they don't have to necessarily be macho, I just can't date anyone who is wimpier than me. And I for sure need someone who doesn't always let me have my way (just most of the time ;)

    This was so cute and funny, I loved it! I can't believe the miltary transport thing. Gee, a call to you would have been nice!

    And the line about the fancy boots...hysterical!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kianwi! The Husband was right that I would want to feed everyone (I'm Italian; which means I am genetically wired to feed people) but a head's up would have been nice!!! Thank God I had enough food to feed them all. I looked everywhere for the pictures of that night, but I couldn't find them. This happened many years ago, way before digital, so I don't have the pics saved on a disk or in my computer...boo. They would have made you LOL, for sure!

      Delete
  8. Meat on the menu, even desert - hilarious!
    My wife would've never even dated me if I was that much of an alpha male.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband doesn't consider any food a meal, unless meat is a part of it!!

      And, to be perfectly honest, if I would have met The Husband any earlier in my life, I would have run far and run fast, probably screaming the whole time! But don't go feeling bad for him b/c he says the exact same thing about me! Isn't it funny how God has plan for us, we know NOTHING about? :)

      Delete
  9. *LOL* Hilarious! I married a Beta male. I prefer it that way. I think I'd strangle an Alpha in real life! My favorite fictional Alpha is Eric Northman. Mmmm. Another one is Barrons from Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Could I live with them? Nope, but I love to read and write them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Eric Northman is a perfect example of an alpha. Although I prefer his character in the books, much more than on True Blood.

    And oh yeah, it can be a real struggle being married to an alpha. Especially when you have a strong personality too, like mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed through your entire list. My husband isn't all of those, but he is some of them for sure. You're one funny woman, Jaybird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much. I think you have to have a sense of humor, living with an alpha. Although, I am no gem to live with either. I guess that's why we work! LOL

      Delete
  12. These are so funny. I sort of loved Jamie...can't remember his last name...from the Outlander series. But I remember he was definitely an Alpha male.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I'm not sure if I read those. I'll have to put them on my TBR list.

      Delete
  13. I like the softer guys - like the dad from To Kill A Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I think I couldn't help but take advantage and walk all over a softer guy. It wouldn't be fair to him, to marry someone like me. With The Husband, I don't get away with shiz. LOL

      Delete
  14. Hey Jaybird! I picked you for the Liebster Blog award! Check it out on my blog tomorrow and congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tammy- Oh my gosh thank you so much. How nice of you to think of me!! I really appreciate it.

      Delete