About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 26, 2012

Please Allow Me to Introduce You to A Brilliant Sci Fi Writer


 
A little while back, I told you my brother Chris was a very shy, but absolutely brilliant Sci Fi writer. I know what you are thinking- he's brilliant and shy?  NO WAY is he really related to Jaybird! I know it's hard to believe, but I swear I'll prove it to you in this post :) 
Looking at him now,  you'd never guess my quiet, bald and extremely fit brother was once a chubby, gingy haired devil. He gave my mom and his teachers a run for their money.  Look closely, I believe you can still see a little spark of  mischief that  lingers in his green eyes.


Jaybird in a pair of horrific overall floods (thanks Mom) standing in front of an equally horrific vehicle, holding hands with her adorable, gingy haired brother. This was taken many, many years ago, while we still lived in Antioch, California.



Whoop- there it is. My favorite pic. I love the good vs. evil disembodied head action.
Below: Chris out shooting with The Husband. After suffering through three older sisters, who were always
dragging the poor boy out shopping, it is nice for him to have a hobby that's a bit more butch. Ha.

 
Chris doesn't have a blog, Facebook or Twitter account, (and most likely never will) so I'm making it my business to promote his work. I believe he is beyond talented and not just because I'm his sister. Please, don't just take my word for it. Read this and  decide for yourself. Below is the pitch he used in the Create Space contest:

Daniel Manoah isn’t good enough. He can’t win. But, his problem has nothing to do with lack of strength or intelligence. Winning isn’t an option because humans cannot be better than the others. It’s a scientific impossibility.

Genetic perfection and continuous access to the sum total of human knowledge through cerebral implants makes it easy for these creatures to dismiss the dwindling number of archaic humans that remain. Nothing angers Daniel more than this fact. Winning their approval won’t be easy. With all the tact of a caveman, Daniel confronts every challenger foolish enough to underestimate him.
Convergence: Sola Hominidae is a memoir told from the nearly omniscient perspective of the main character. Seeing himself through the recorded memories of his adversaries, Daniel recounts the often tragic and strangely humorous events of his life, sparing no embarrassment for the sake of truth. This 107,000 word science-fiction novel was inspired in part by the flawed life of a familiar biblical character, who, despite being culturally distinct from his neighbors, did everything in his power to be near them. His self-hating behavior and inevitable rejection by those from whom he seeks approval ends in violence. Technology creates the cultural rift in Daniel’s time. The early stages of this tension can be felt even now by anyone who encounters the blank stares and inflated self-importance of Smartphone users (myself included). When these technologies converge with unnatural genetic selection, a mindless, homogenized, socially awkward future is assured; and, nature dictates, the survival of only the fittest.

I often wonder how such flawed characters can be lauded as heroes of the faith. I’ve always hated anti-heroes. But aren’t we all flawed? In the end, it’s the damage we cause in our own lives that leads us to admit we’re only human.

For anyone who's interest is piqued, I'm adding a page to this blog that will be dedicated to Chris and his work.  It will also contain the first chapter of  Convergence if you would like to read it. Any and all feedback, as well as any questions/comments you have for Chris, will be passed on to him.  And greatly appreciated by me!! Thanks~Jaybird


I'm laughing b/c in this picture, we were waiting (impatiently) for my cousin's wedding reception to start.
I kept snapping pictures of him and said I wouldn't  stop until Chris made his Zoolander "blue steel" face!
I know he's going to beat my butt for posting all of these pics and that just makes me laugh harder. Ah, siblings.  
 

14 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing, but sci-fi is so not my thing. That said, I did enjoy the first chapter so I'm not against the idea of reading the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sci-fi is hard for some people to latch onto. Geez, half of what comes out that kid's mouth I have to ask him to repeat, or dumb down, LOL. It really does amaze me that we are related. He so damn smart it's ridiculous!

      Glad you enjoyed the first Chapter. I know it's pure Sci Fi, put once you get into this story, you kind of forget that it is, if that makes any sense!

      Delete
  2. Awesome of you to support your brother! And science fiction IS my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- You are actually the first person who came to my mind to read this- because I had a feeling you would really love it. And, I thought you would be able to understand and appreciate the biblical connection. I'm really curious as to what you think! I'd love to pass the info on to Chris. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. You are a very good sister :)

    I am not a science fiction person at all, because it normally hurts my brains :) Having said that, though, your brother's writing is excellent, and the concept is quite intriguing. I read the first chapter and am interested enough to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kianwi- I will tell him you said that. And I'll be posting Chapter Two shortly.

      Delete
  4. I love his Blue Steel face! :)

    You need to talk your bro into blogging. Really. We need more Sci-Fi writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying! I know he would make a funny, interesting and such a dang smart blogger! But he is so stubborn and painfully shys away from all social media. I tease him all the time and torture him by saying that I'm going to put his picture up on a dating site! (He'd absolutely KILL me if I ever did)

      Delete
  5. Aren't you the sweetest sister?! ^_^

    Jay, you're so kind to be doing this for your brother, I hope it raises his writing profile.

    Chris' story sounds fascinating, and I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping it would help him gain some confidence in his writing. He doesn't believe me about how good he really is. He's annoying. But I do the same thing.

      And thanks! I will post his next chapter soon.

      Delete
  6. Seems like talent for writing runs in the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Johanna. You are too kind! I think he got the lion's share of the talent, though, for sure.

      Delete
  7. How nice to promote your brother! This sounds like a great concept. It's intriguing to think about where we could be with technology (and how it could be harming us) even in just 50 years' time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I believe Chris really is great. Placing all my familiar bias aside, I really love the premise of his book. His statement about the "blank stares of the inflated self-important Smartphone users" (himself included) is so true. I can't stand when I go out and see people glued to their phones, distracted by technology, instead of paying attention to the here and now, and the company around them.

      Delete