About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 12, 2012

Celebrate Your Life

Hey Everyone, I'd like to start today's post by reminding you that very soon I'm going to be doing a  100 Followers Giveaway.  I'm super close at ...96! Just think this Wolverine Bobblehead (and some other surprise swag) could be yours.You could place him in a sweet spot on your dash, so he can nod his head along to the tunes as you cruise on down the road, just like he does for Jaybird. So, please, stay tuned. Here's hoping  I hit 100 followers by the end of the month!!  
 
 
Today is one of those days that will always be hard for me to handle. It is my sister Emily's birthday. She would have been turning 43. Normally, I would have started the day by calling her and wishing her a Happy Birthday and finding out what time we were getting together. Because no matter how old you are, we always, always, celebrate birthdays in my Italian family. Cake is a requirement.
We don't mess around when it comes to cake. :)
Emily
 
Me & Em back in the day.
Now, I start the day much differently. I usually bring flowers and cards (from my girls) to the cemetery. I make sure I call my parents and my BIL to see if they are ok. (They will say they are, but I  know their not.) I  take out all of  her pictures and stare at them until my stomach hurts too bad to look anymore. My stomach will keep hurting all day long and at some point, I usually throw up. I'm really not the best at handling my grief. I will decline invitations to go out, even though it's a Friday night. I know I won't make good company. I don't feel like socializing. I will go to bed early, crying myself to sleep.
Me, Adrienne and Em
Sisters, Christmas morning
Holy Hair. Em, me, my bestie Rochelle, Val and my bro Chris in the background
Em &Mike She made such a beautiful bride
Em Mike, Caitlin and Holly 
But tomorrow is a new  day. And I will wake up and wash my face and try to pull it together. I  will remind myself that one day, I will see her again. I will go hug the crap out of my nieces (if they let allow it, their teenagers now so it's fifty/fifty) I will concentrate on placing one foot in front of the other and force myself to go on.
 
I know I've said it before, but I can't really say it enough: celebrate your life! Let the little things go. Don't hold a grudge and never, ever forget to tell the people in your life, you love them. Wishing you all a safe, happy weekend. ~Jaybird

28 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry this day will be sad for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad but beautiful and inspiring post! My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay, that was beautiful. I have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing. I love those pictures, your sister was beautiful, as are you. I cannot believe how much you two look like your girls when you were little.

    I'm sorry for your loss, you and your family will be in my prayers tonight. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare. She was a very beautiful girl. These pictures don't even do her justice. It always makes me smile when I see my sisters and myself and how much my girls resemble us!

      Delete
  4. I loved all the pictures, Jay. I'm sorry for your grief. This was a lovely tribute to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em was so beautiful. Forty-three? Too young. I never know what to say except I'm sorry you're hurting. I'm glad you had such a beautiful, fun-loving sister and you have enough memories to last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing, Jay. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joylene. She passed at 40. And I hold onto those memories like you wouldn't believe. It's remarkable to me, how three years have gone by. Some days, it feels like just yesterday.

      I know that you are hurting too from your tremendous loss and I am so truly sorry for you and your family as well. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry it's a hard day. Life can be so unfair, your sister's kids deserved to have their mom and she deserved a chance to live to be an old lady. You are doing a great job of keeping her memory alive, though!

    Take care of yourself today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the worst at handling/dealing with my grief. I don't know how you work at hospice, and deal with grieving people, on a daily basis. It takes a very special kind of person to be able to do that!

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful. I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose a sister. Take care today, Jaybird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel. Believe it or not, writing about it helps. I don't like to talk about it much and I feel as if I never have the right words to speak. Here, I can put it all out there, and for some reason, I do feel a little bit better after doing so.


      Oh, and thank you so much for the shout out and award on your blog! I really appreciate it. I'll be posting on that as soon as I can. xo

      Delete
  8. Very sorry for your loss. Your sister looked a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Wendy thank you. She was as beautiful inside as she was out. And I'm not just saying that. She had an amazing spirit. Even at her weakest, she was still placing others before herself. I learned so much from her.

      Delete
  9. Sage advice, never forget to tell those close to you that you love them. Yes you'll see Em again. I followed you after reading Rachel's (over at Writing on the Wall) post and seeing that you were nearly at 100 followers. I'm foll, #98, so you're almost there. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sheena! (And big thanks to Miss Rachel) You're a doll to follow me. I'm almost there! YAY.

    And I really do believe, with all my heart, one day I will be with my sister again xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this. I know what it's like to lose a sibling. You're not alone in this. Carrying a memory of them is our way of keeping them alive, and you've done that here. Wonderful tribute, Jay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that David. But thank you for the support and encouragement.

      Delete
  12. I don't have any siblings, but last year we almost lost my wife's oldest brother. Even just with that scare I can see how much it can tear a family up.

    Those are some great pictures, and I'm glad I got to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about the scare you had with your wife's brother, I'm so glad to hear he was alright!! It's tough. But my family has always been extremely close. Now we hang on to each other that much tighter:)

      Delete
  13. I bet this is such a hard thing! I really love your last paragraph. Such great advice!

    And I'm follower #99. Almost there! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Peggy! #99. Almost there!! Thank you for the follow and kind words.

      Delete
  14. I got to be 100!! Yes, I am easily excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth. Thanks you so much for following! You helped me reach my goal early. 100! Whew. I can't believe it. It seems like just yesterday I had only 2. My sister and myself, LOL

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. xoxo Love you too girl! And Thanks.

      Delete