About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing Meme


When one of my all-time favorite bloggers, Clare Dugmore from Clare Dugmore Writes,  tagged me in The Next Big Thing Meme,  I was excited for several reasons: (1) I had just starting editing my WIP again. And I hate to edit. (2) I didn't have a clue what to post on today (3) She picked me !  This is still a lovely and exciting novelty, for someone like me, who was NEVER picked in gym  class....
So great big thanks and hugs to my friend Clare. In case any of you don't follow her yet, you should really go check out her blog, it's brilliant.  :) 

OK- here we go:
WHAT IS THE WORKING TITLE OF YOUR BOOK: "Breaking Cardinale Rules"

WHERE DID THE IDEA COME FROM:  Unfortunately, my idea came from events that really happened to me.  Just like my MC, I had just been through a really rough break up, when I was served with my notice for jury duty.  I was only nineteen when  I was picked to sit on a very serious jury trial, which took approximately four months to complete. I suffered a lot of the same prejudices that my main character does.  Quotes like "I'm not sure how, but somehow, someway, I'm going to prove a short skirt and big boobs does not make for a bad juror"  came straight from my mouth.  The rest of the story, well, that was sorta, maybe, wildly and ridiculously exaggerated.

WHAT GENRE DOES YOUR BOOK FALL UNDER:
NA Paranormal Romance

WHAT ACTORS WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PLAY YOUR CHARACTERS IN A MOVIE:
Oh, this is so hard! The main character is an Italian girl, with long dark hair, eyes and coloring. Oh, and she's a little thick. It would be pretty challenging to find a Hollywood actress who eats enough to fit her description. As far as the love interests: #1 is Ben Malefico. He has long blond hair, blue eyes and is ginormous. Picture a young, Viking God. Uh, maybe Chris Helmsworth in Thor...  Love interest #2 Andrew Moore, has green eyes, short dark hair, lots of scars and is muscular, but lean and mean. Think someone like Channing Tatum, with dark hair and a super bad ass attitude.

WHAT IS THE ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS OF YOUR BOOK:
The dreaded synopsis! Ugh. Um, can we revisit this question a little later? Because I will be stuck here working on it all day and never get around to posting or doing the million and one things I have to do today  :)

WILL YOUR BOOK BE SELF-PUBLISHED OR REPRESENTED BY AN AGENCY:
I haven't sent any queries out on it yet, but I plan to soon. I'd like to try for an agent first, but if I generate zero interest or a bunch of  rejections, I'm absolutely open to self-pubbing it.

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE THE FIRST DRAFT OF YOUR MANUSCRIPT:It's taken me close to two years. There were times I had to stop writing and lay off it for a bit, because it was too hard for me to relive some of the stuff in it.. and other times, I just had zero time to write. Oh, and every single time I go back and read it, I keep changing things and editing it some more, and I just don't feel like it will ever be at the point where it  feels completely "finished". It's driving me bat shiz crazy!

WHO OR WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE THIS BOOK: Like I said before, sitting on a jury trial for four months helped inspire me to write this book.  Oh, and having a psycho, stalker ex-boyfriend helped inspire me A LOT.

WHAT ELSE ABOUT YOUR BOOK WOULD PIQUE A READER'S INTEREST:
This is a paranormal romance, urban fantasy and  legal thriller all rolled up in one. It's like getting three books for the price of one, and come on, who doesn't love a bargain?  LOL

I TAG/PASS THIS MEME ON TO:
Any of my writer friends out there who'd like to participate! Because I'm cool like that.

15 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds awesome! Hope it gets finished soon because I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra. I still need to do some editing- you know I'm the Queen of bad grammar and typos. I need a thousand CP's to help me find and fix them all!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I adore paranormals, but from what I've heard, most agents are super reluctant to even consider them these days. I'm hoping my version/twist on things will be enough to keep it desirable and relevant. Here's hoping!

      Delete
  3. Interesting, I love that a stint as a juror helped inspire your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only did it help inspire me for my book, but it landed me my first job in a law office. That's how it all began!

      Delete
  4. You are cool!
    And the one sentence synopsis, or 'tagline,' is really tough. I was put on the spot for mine recently. I need to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I really need to work on it, but like everything else with me, I will just keep tweaking it and editing and never feel like it's good enough. It's not easy to sum up 400 pages in one sentence!

      Delete
  5. I really like your character descriptions. And on a serious jury trial for four months at 19? Ouch. That's bad enough without a break up thrown in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilima- It was hard for anyone to take me seriously at first, because I was so young. And maybe because I wear a lot of make up and had big hair and short skirts... But by the end of the trial, regardless of how young I was or how I looked, the other jurors wound up listening and respecting what I had to say. If I was going to be responsible for sending people to jail for the rest of their lives, I wanted to make dang sure my thoughts and opinions were heard!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the follow--I'm an old follower of your blog, apparently. This post was very fun, and it's great that you could use personal experiences for inspiration. It's too bad Hollywood actresses don't look like real women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, welcome back Jennifer! Thanks for the kind comments. It is a shame that Hollywood produces no realistic versions of women- and leave young girls with an unrealistic version of what they are supposed to aspire to. As a mom of three girls, it's a huge peeve of mine!

      Delete
  7. I love the sound of this story, and I can't wait until you're ready to share it with the world. I'm glad you were able to turn a not so great experience into a positive. Your choice of actors is excellent too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare- You are one of the first people I would want to read it- I value your opinion so much!!

      I looked at some of the younger actors, but they all look like babies to me. IDK, maybe I'm just getting really old...LOL

      Thanks again for tagging me in this meme!

      Delete
  8. My interest is piqued! I'd definitely read something like this. Good luck with editing and other parts of the process, cause I would be thrilled for you to have this published!

    ReplyDelete