About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Dollar and A Dream

When we first got together, one of the things The Husband would always do, was bring me flowers. He would bring me a nice variety too, everything from a single lily, to a couple of daisies tied with string, to the classic dozen red roses. And I loved it.  But as the years went on and we were struggling to pay the bills, as much as I loved the beautiful flowers and the sentiment,  I told The Husband to stop the madness. It just seemed so selfish of me to keep accepting the flowers, considering we didn't really have the money to "waste" on them. My very romantic Husband did not respond well to my practical approach on his flower giving. Instead, he took this as an insult. Never in a million years did I expect to tell my hard-core, "Alpha" male supreme, he had to stop being so sensitive!

The Husband explained it wasn't about the flowers themselves, but the fact that he was thinking of me and wanted me to know how much he cared. Telling him to stop,  really hurt his feelings. I was shocked. Of course, I never meant to hurt him, I thought I was doing him a favor. Perhaps it was in my delivery... Maybe the whole conversation wouldn't have turned into an argument, if I didn't joke around about how he had started this tradition  back when we were still dating but he could knock it off now, cause he had already "sealed the deal".  Man, was he mad at me. But I couldn't quite wrap my brain around why he was so pissed and he could not get over why his wife, (or any woman) would not be thrilled that their husband still bestowed beautiful flowers on them as a token of his love, after being together for so many years. I apologized for hurting his feelings, but we decided to agree to disagree on our fight and move on. I knew my big guy's feelings were still  hurt. Especially when we watched a movie and a girl received flowers from their significant other. He would say sigh, or roll his eyes, or mumble something under his breath, like "she seemed happy enough to get some flowers".  Ugh. It went on like this for a while until...

One day I was feeling like I just stepped out of a cage match with a UFC champ. (This is typical of someone with an auto-immune disease like mine.) But this particular day, my aches and pains were  so brutal I couldn't get out of bed. When I was feeling crap like this, it normally was the perfect time for The Husband to bust some flowers on me. I have to admit, the first time he came home with nothing, I felt sorry for my spoiled little self, and a little disappointed.  Yes, I know he was only following my directions. But despite what I had previously told him,  it stung a little.  (And yes, I fully realize what a pain in the ass I am).

I could hear that The Husband was home from the store,  because he was banging around the kitchen downstairs, putting away groceries and preparing dinner. While I wanted to wallow in self-pity from my bedroom, how could I? What a guy! My man had cooked, cleaned, went to the grocery store (with all three kids) and was now preparing dinner, without complaining about it either.. How lucky am I? Sometimes, I still can't believe my good fortune.

A little while later, when The Husband started up the steps with my dinner, I wanted to tell him how amazing he was and that I was dead wrong to be so callous about the flowers. But before I got the chance, I saw he was carrying two dinner trays. He decided to jump in bed with me, so he could keep me company. It was not what I had expected and so very sweet. To put the icing on the cake, he says, "Oh, I got you something. Don't worry it's not flowers!" 

He  had placed a card, next to my plate. It was a beautiful card, full of inspirational type quotes, to make me feel better. But when I opened the envelope, a handful of scratch-off lottery tickets fell out. He fanned them out in his palm and then handed them over to me, like a bouquet. "Maybe we'll win big and then I could buy you flowers everyday, and it wouldn't matter!"

The Husband and I sat there, eating and talking about all the things we would do, if we ever won the lottery. The kids came to check on us, then they jumped up into bed and started to chime in on what they would want to buy/do if we won big. My little one made us laugh by quoting/imitating the commercial saying "All it takes is a dollar and dream". We laughed and talked and dreamed big. But as I looked at the faces surrounding me,  I knew I had already won.

What's the first thing  you would do, if you won the lottery? What about your life, (if anything) would you want to change? I'm curious, where your dollar and a dream would take you?

22 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. Your husband is amazing. If I won a ton of money, I'd pack up my family and travel the world. We'd stay in one place for several months to really get to know the culture and people (even send my kids to local schools), then pick up and go wherever we felt like next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm a lucky girl. Going on a looong mission trip was one of the things we discussed-something we always want to do as a family, but isn't really possible right now. Thinking about all the possibilities, is part of the fun!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. It sounds like you have a very sweet, good man! I hope you're feeling better today. :)
    My husband and I have always said that if we won really big we'd pay off our house, and all our siblings' houses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Paying off our house was at the top of our list too. I would love to be in a position to help out everyone I love.

      Delete
  3. That's such a beautiful story, thanks for sharing Jay. Your husband sounds like a fantastic guy, and I hope he's okay with the no flower giving now.

    One lottery dream I've recently had is to set up my own publishing company. I'd also love to use the money to visit America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh- how fun would it be to own your own publishing company? I would love that too. My first order of business, all of my friends would have their books pubbed, woo hoo! LOL

      A trip to America is a must for you! I always think about how fun and absolutely amazing it would be to go on a huge book tour- with stops all across America...that could be you one day!

      Delete
  4. That was such a beautiful post. You are such a lucky lady to have an amazing caring husband and family. If we won the lottery...hmmm....I think we'd spend a lot more time traveling. I love to explore new peoples, places and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I love meeting new people and traveling as well. But there never seems to be enough time to explore everything we want to do. Ah, a dollar and a dream. It's so fun to think of all the possibiities, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I just fell in love with you and your hubby. What a great story.

    If I won the lottery I would pay off all of my bills and fix up my house. I would quit my job and find some places to volunteer. I would buy another house in the bay area to be with my boyfriend. I would keep flowers in my house always, since because of my budget I've had to let go of that habit too, and it breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw- thanks! I'm not going to lie, I do miss the flowers, but I was just trying to be more practical..boy did that back fire on me.

      I used to live in the Bay Area and miss it all the time! My best friend and her family are still there, so if I won big, I would buy a house there too. Probably somewhere near Walnut Creek or Brentwood, to be near her :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, gosh, what a great husband! He is a rare find, that's for sure!

    If I won the lottery, I'd start a foundation with the bulk of the $$, but of course keep some for myself. I'd buy a motor home, pack my dog and cats inside and set off to tour the United States so I could decide where I eventually wanted to settle. Once I'd settled, I would move on to traveling to other places in the world. Ah, dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to dream big? Can't help myself from smiling whenever we start thinking about it.

      Delete
  7. I would definitely start out by buying flowers. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife would say he's a keeper!
    Sometimes that's how people express love - by giving.
    And I think there's a lot of great causes and people I could help with that kind of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, tell your wife, he is such a keeper! I don't know if you could say the same about me, LOL!!

      The possibilities are endless and so fun to entertain. I would help so many people, I would be out of money in a heart beat! LOL

      Delete
  9. Your husband is a rare gem! My hubby doesn't have a romantic bone in his body, but he's honest, fun, and he loves me. :)

    If I won the lottery, I'd pay off all our bills and invest it so we could live comfortably for the rest of our lives. I'd write and travel. I've never wanted anything material that was big or anything. I'd help out friends and charities. Not having to work, I could offer my time to organizations too. Time is as important as financial donations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine- Loving you, honesty, and being fun, are some of the best qualities you could ask for! Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper too.

      I completely agree with you, time is as important as financial donations. Winning enough to pay off our house and our bills, would be all I could ask for. Anything above that, would be icing on the cake!

      Delete
  10. Flowers first. Renovations second. Everything left over on the mortgage. We'd be set then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man after my own heart, flowers first, then the mortgage. It's fun to dream big though, isn't it?

      Delete
  11. Aw! You have the sweetest husband ever!

    If I ever won the lottery, my first thought would probably be, "Heck yeah, I no longer have to job-hunt!" XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heather-Thanks, he is something alright! No more job hunting? I can fully relate to how awesome that would be. I've been there and I know how difficult it is.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete