About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 21, 2012

I think I have AD, oh shiny!

I think I have AD, oh shiny! My brain can't seem to focus. This week  I set the stupid toaster oven on fire not once, not twice, but three freaking times!  And today, I opened up to the microwave oven only to find my lunch from yesterday! Also, I tied one of my tennis shoes, but somehow forgot to tie the other! I know I can hide behind my illness and brain fog, but I think it's much, much more than that.

As a writer,  I tend to retreat mentally, a lot. My family will be talking to me and then all of a sudden I think about a perfect line my MC would say in a certain situation, and I'm off again. Sometimes, I just start staring off into space, and my kids will joke about it, saying, "And, we've lost her!" Do any of my writer friends ever find themselves in similar situations?

A long, long, time ago, (in a galaxy far away) when I was born, there were no cute  acronyms for kids like me. Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) had no name, no diagnosis. My poor mom didn't have a clue what to do with me. She couldn't throw me on meds and call it a day. It didn't help that I followed two superior beings, my older sisters. They were both extremely intelligent, high achievers, super quiet, polite, well-mannered and overall perfect children to raise. 

I will never forget the joy and  delight on the teacher's faces, when they saw my last name on their rosters. And I certainly won't forget their hard disappointment when they quickly realized I was nothing like my two older sisters!!  (For example, my sister Adrienne graduated from high school with the label of "Class Shy" and three years later, I graduated with the title of "Most Talkative" )



Anyone else struggle with this type of brain fog? If so, how does it affect your writing? Your every day life?

14 comments:

  1. When I'm in the middle of writing, or when I'm thinking of new ideas, I am exactly the same. It's pretty hard to get my attention when I'm zoned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha- so it's not just me then? I'm actually really relieved to hear this!!

      Delete
  2. When I am drafting a book, I am totally and completely obsessed with that story and its characters. I have a hard time sleeping at night, every song, every movie, every person, every everything--I try to relate it back to my book. Which character would that actor play in my book's movie, where would this song fit? It's disturbing but I can't help it. And poor poor fam and people around me. I think that's just the life of a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's true of most creative types but especially of authors... I guess that's why most writers dedicate their books to family members, for putting up with us! LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm sort of the opposite, but for the same reason, if that makes any sense. I get tunnel vision so deeply that nobody can pull my out when i'm writing. My children and husband go ignored. I think all writers though, can go off into our little worlds. I don't, very often, in conversation, but I physically escape a lot, craving that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hart- I think it might be beneficial if I physically escaped more. It would probably be much easier on the people around me!

      Delete
  4. LOL, you're hilarious!

    I'm not as absentminded as I am lazy. I might know my food is in the microwave but will feel too lazy to go get it. I guess we all have our imperfections, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Frost- thanks! Glad I could give you a laugh.

      And, yes, I agree, we all have our little imperfections :)

      Delete
  5. You're not alone! I get the same thing when I zone out and go into writing land. It usually ends up with my two year-old hitting me and screaming "Mummy!" ;)

    Oh, thanks for your comment on my blog today. I would have replied there, but Blogger ate it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare- you're welcome!
      Clare, Jaycee, Victoria- So I guess this makes it official, we are all a bit touched? I think we should set aside one day of the month, for a blog feature where our families get to vent all about us. Their very own support group for living with a writer! LOL

      Delete
  6. Yeah, I zone out...my daughter or husband could be asking me a question and if I'm in the zone, I don't hear them right away. Or my hubby will be talking to me and something will pop into my head and I'll nod my head like I'm listening, but have no idea what he said when he asks what I think. I can so relate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually didn't have this problem until after I started writing, lol. Now I can't focus for the life of my because I keep thinking about my characters or get a new idea for a story. But, that's what makes us visionaries. You're so great, girl! Keep on shining though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Glad to know I'm not alone.

      Delete