About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Put My WIP in Time Out

After a proper whine the other day, see my post titled, "Yesterday I Loved My WIP but Today I Hate It, Just Like My Hair" I received some absolutely invaluable support, encouragement and advice from my amazing Followers. I took every bit of  advice to heart  and from the bottom of mine, I thank you. Everyone lended me their  ideas/suggestions on how I could rid myself of these antagonistic feelings I'd been harbouring towards my WIP. But I decided the one thing I simply had to do, was put my WIP in a time out.


While my WIP serves its time, (God knows how long it will have to sit there before I decide it's truly repentant for hurting my feelings and making me feel so inadequate) I found someone new to play with. Here's the rough 250 of what I've been playing around with. It's called: The End of All Things

Evil came knocking, late one night. It slithered up our home's historic front steps and stood on the fleur de lis mat I had carefully swept, waiting to be invited in. We didn't know it then, but throwing open our front door and welcoming this guest in with a smile, like we had so many times before, would alter the course of our lives forever.

My family and I were all gathered together, but independently going about our nightly chores. My brother had just emerged out of the bath, finally clean and more than eager to eat his supper after a long day tending to the vast grounds and lush gardens of Maison de Le Fleur. Father sat at his desk, a glass of sherry in one hand and a pen in the other. He was hard at work trying to reconcile the books or as Maman liked to tease, “Trying to make something from nothing". My mother sat folding mounds of laundry. She was listening to Mozart with one ear and for the buzz of the oven timer with the other. The incredible smell of her pain au chocolat baking, no matter how full I was, always made my mouth water.

My younger sister was working hard on the mending and I was hap-hazardly polishing the silver. My eldest sister, Adrienne, had just come back into the room with yet another load of laundry, when we heard the knock. My family all moaned in unison. Yes, another guest meant more money. But it also meant we would not be retiring early, like we had hoped. C'est la vie. We had long ago resigned ourselves to the nature of the business. Adrienne dropped her basket at maman's feet and said, “I'll go.”

To her everlasting credit, Adrienne managed to maintain her composure. If it had been me who answered that door, well, I doubt we would be where we are now. But that's neither here nor there.

**I'm still undecided if this is pure crap or if it has any potential. Let me know what you think. Either way, it's been a nice diversion to help me pass the time as my old WIP sits in time out and contemplates its bad behaviour.

12 comments:

  1. I really like it! I mean it. I would totally want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. I appreciate that. Hopefully it will keep me preoccupied until I can tell my WIP to come off the time out chair. LOL

      Delete
  2. I liked it too! I'd definitely like to see where this story goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra- You are too kind. I will play around with it some more to see where it goes. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. If you want my 100% honest opinion, I'd need to see more of this before I tell you if it has potential. However, what I CAN tell you is that I thoroughly enjoyed what I read, and I'd like to see it continue.

    Also, putting your WIP in time out is sometimes the best thing to do. So much better than dwelling on something that just isn't coming to you right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandon, or is this Bryan? I never know which one of you I'm talking to-LOL But my answer is a big fat YES!

      Please, always be honest with me... even if it's gonna sting. I truly value your opinion and want to know if I'm just kidding myself. I don't want to be like those kids on American Idol who sing like crap but everyone has blown smoke up their butt their entire life about how GREAT they are so they go on national tv and embarrass themselves. I don't want that to be me! I'd like to hear it from my friends first, to spare me the embarrassment and afford me the opportunity to bow out gracefully!! LOL

      Delete
  4. I definitely loved it so far, and would love to read more of it, even if you don't decide to post it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I really appreciate the feedback, it means so much.

      Delete
  5. This was great. I'd definitely read on. I really liked the whole family aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ilima- I am a family first person myself, so this is something I really wanted to tap into here. Thanks so much for the input!

      Delete
  6. It was an intriguing beginning and already has me wondering where they live (lots of French thrown in there), if they run a boarding house ('cause that's what it sounds like), and who this visitor is -- that the narrator would've slammed the door on, apparently. I would turn the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne- wow, you would really turn the page? Holy crow, thank you so much! I genuinely appreciate all of your help/advice. I take it all in and straight to heart!

      -And yes, you are absolutely right. The setting here is in the French countryside, at a family run bed and breakfast/inn. My narrator/MC may have been raised a country girl, but she is full of savy, strength and surprises.

      Delete